Starfield

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
John Linneman from Digital Foundry is defending the broken HDR in Starfield, saying it’s a “design decision” 😂🤦‍♂️ just like how 30fps was I guess. No wonder Xbox decided to allow them to get a code and not their parent company Eurogamer.

Bethesda having their game look and run like crap is a strange creative decision

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
John Linneman from Digital Foundry is defending the broken HDR in Starfield, saying it’s a “design choice” 😂🤦‍♂️ just like how 30fps was I guess. No wonder Xbox decided to allow them to get a code and not their parent company Eurogamer.

Bethesda having their game look and run like crap is a strange creative decision

he defends the indefensible

the guy tells you that the game is bethesda's most beautiful game to date, comparing it with skyrim, which dates back to 2011.

it's getting embarrassing

Snake29

21 Jun 2022
Being already spoiled with Star Citizen and also playing Starfield, I can't really be impressed about the space part and planets and moons yet. It's also just an rpg in a scifi theme with limited space stuff.

So far it's fun to play. But your ship is nothing more then a big storage room which travels with you. Other then some limited space stuff, it's nothing more then that. It's why i can't feel attached to my ship since you can't really do much with it.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
John Linneman from Digital Foundry is defending the broken HDR in Starfield, saying it’s a “design decision” 😂🤦‍♂️ just like how 30fps was I guess. No wonder Xbox decided to allow them to get a code and not their parent company Eurogamer.
Same as me when I make the design decision to paint everything white in my house because:
1 - I don't want it to show that I'm not that good at it
2 - I don't want to pay professionals either

This is still a creative choice, but it was forced by externalities.

That kind of PR move seems like this to me:
Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

In the mean time we have amazing looking open world games (no load screens during gameplay) that run better on base PS4. Horizon (both games) have giant robot dinosaurs that have intricate level of details and everything is well animated, it has caves, cities, a lot of vegetation, storms, simulated clouds, etc. all at 1080p 30fps on the base PS4, a machine released in 2013.

Starfield is not openworld, this is the first thing that should be said in all reviews\previews.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Same as me when I make the design decision to paint everything white in my house because:
1 - I don't want it to show that I'm not that good at it
2 - I don't want to pay professionals either

This is still a creative choice, but it was forced by externalities.

That kind of PR move seems like this to me:
Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

In the mean time we have amazing looking open world games (no load screens during gameplay) that run better on base PS4. Horizon (both games) have giant robot dinosaurs that have intricate level of details and everything is well animated, it has caves, cities, a lot of vegetation, storms, simulated clouds, etc. all at 1080p 30fps on the base PS4, a machine released in 2013.

Starfield is not openworld, this is the first thing that should be said in all reviews\previews.
Design decision:

Also it's ridiculous that Linneman is grading on a curve w.r.t. bethesda games, they have no problems comparing other games to industry standards but somehow Bethesda has some sort of hall pass to only be compared to prior Bethesda games?

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I was going to drop all of the Live Service Games on my belt to play this for hundreds of hours.

Incredile Disappointed this is the game we got, i was expecting a 9.5/10.0, but instead i got a 7/10.

I would have a better time on Fallout 4....

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
So how’s the game then? - impossible to gauge with all the fanboy noise

It's good, maybe great depending on your tastes, but not the immersion simulator they promissed,

But i was very hyped for it and ended up disappointed for what i've got:

If you ignore the bugs and bad npc models, which were expected you have:

• Spacetravel is nearly non-existent, your ship is basically a F76 mobile camp
  • No FOV, HDR and 32:9 which were promissed
  • Botched peformance on PC with no DLSS and XeSS support.
  • Main Quest is boring and short
  • Some broken quests
  • Enemy AI is braindead
  • Proced generation is very limited, as much as Skyrim Infinite quests gimmick
  • When landing on a planet you are limited to invisible tiles that are generated, there are invisible walls that stop you from walking across the planet and you need to walk everywhere.
  • Terrible UI
  • It's very easy to get lost, there's no sense of direction or city map.
  • Very easy to get overcumbered
  • Nearly no special encounters.

Whomever the game got positives:

• A lot of quests and roleplaying possibilities
  • Combat is much better than in Fallout 4
  • Soundtrack and Art Direction is Incredible.
  • Texture work is stunning
  • Building your ship is really fun
  • Choices actually have some consequences. An NPC you wrong in quest might show up later.
  • Scenery is incredible
  • Enviriomental storytelling great as always
  • Secundary Quests are really good.
  • Dialogue is really good.

It's not a 9/10 game. More like a 7/10.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I was going to drop all of the Live Service Games on my belt to play this for hundreds of hours.

Incredile Disappointed this is the game we got, i was expecting a 9.5/10.0, but instead i got a 7/10.

I would have a better time on Fallout 4....
You should have expected a 6 out of 10 from Bethesda, especially at launch!

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I'm not far at all, but I do like how this game runs and feels on PC. Using Gsync the framerate is super fluid.

I can already notice the compromises from Baldurs Gate when it comes to throwaway NPCs and dialog choice. It's palpable that the RPG systems aren't as deep. Where BG3 will have cinematic scenes for a frog, Starfield is teeming with NPCs who don't want to talk to you.

Still it is exciting to explore the galaxy from first person. Combat is refreshingly low stakes, tho I would like to see smarter enemy AI. My character is level 3, and an enemy marked lvl 16 armed with an assault rifle stood still while I beat him to death with an axe.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Design decision:

Also it's ridiculous that Linneman is grading on a curve w.r.t. bethesda games, they have no problems comparing other games to industry standards but somehow Bethesda has some sort of hall pass to only be compared to prior Bethesda games?
This is a basic way MS shills are told to behave, never compare to the competition when talking about one of their products, at least not directly.

This is also how you know that you're dealing with a PR piece, not a real evaluation.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's good, maybe great depending on your tastes, but not the immersion simulator they promissed,

But i was very hyped for it and ended up disappointed for what i've got:

If you ignore the bugs and bad npc models, which were expected you have:

• Spacetravel is nearly non-existent, your ship is basically a F76 mobile camp
  • No FOV, HDR and 32:9 which were promissed
  • Botched peformance on PC with no DLSS and XeSS support.
  • Main Quest is boring and short
  • Some broken quests
  • Enemy AI is braindead
  • Proced generation is very limited, as much as Skyrim Infinite quests gimmick
  • When landing on a planet you are limited to invisible tiles that are generated, there are invisible walls that stop you from walking across the planet and you need to walk everywhere.
  • Terrible UI
  • It's very easy to get lost, there's no sense of direction or city map.
  • Very easy to get overcumbered
  • Nearly no special encounters.

Whomever the game got positives:

• A lot of quests and roleplaying possibilities
  • Combat is much better than in Fallout 4
  • Soundtrack and Art Direction is Incredible.
  • Texture work is stunning
  • Building your ship is really fun
  • Choices actually have some consequences. An NPC you wrong in quest might show up later.
  • Scenery is incredible
  • Enviriomental storytelling great as always
  • Secundary Quests are really good.
  • Dialogue is really good.

It's not a 9/10 game. More like a 7/10.
I gotta disagree with a few of these.

The soundtrack is pretty rote and standard for the subject matter.

Incredible scenery? Stunning texture work? Uhhh where? 90% of this game is ugly as sin with a few areas that could pass as a solid ps4 game.

Combat may be better than fallout 4 but it’s bad in general.

The visuals comments are baffling to me. It’s maybe the ugliest “AAA” game I’ve played overall in over a decade.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I gotta disagree with a few of these.

The soundtrack is pretty rote and standard for the subject matter.

Incredible scenery? Stunning texture work? Uhhh where? 90% of this game is ugly as sin with a few areas that could pass as a solid ps4 game.

Combat may be better than fallout 4 but it’s bad in general.

The visuals comments are baffling to me. It’s maybe the ugliest “AAA” game I’ve played overall in over a decade.

Agree to disagree, the scenery, texture and soundtrack is one of the positives for the game

67xa29T6DNVxfTYRmYXLiZ.jpg
cant-believe-how-realistic-these-onions-are-v0-wzhtz1pvuqlb1.png

starfield-review-score-shacknews_feature.jpg

Starfield-Vasco.jpg

But yeah, a lot of the things in the game are and look very dated and look from the PS3/X360 era

The character models, which are being memed for death are one of them.

Starfield vs The Witcher 4 Random NPCs

Men:

X2dj7o8.jpg

DoMBkyJ.png

Women:

itoii2k.png

l2qo65m6qc7a1.png

Anything that isn't a quest NPC in this game looks horrible.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly