Stellar Blade developer Shift Up fired two contractor feminists who cried about fanservice to shareholders.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: EmberBlaine and Box

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Holy patriarchy! Feminist have become a terror organization now.
Always-Has-Been.png

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Like, I don't condone any mistreatment of employees based on gender, ethnicity, creed or stuff like that, obviously. If those problems exist, they need to be looked into and fixed as soon as possible.

But I'm also not going to ignore work I'm otherwise interested in because of those issues, otherwise I'd have to be fair and do it with all instances. Meaning most likely, I'd have to ignore ALL work because chances are something's involved in the BTS of any work's creation that could be considered slightly offensive to some group. I mean, that's only fair if we're talking about equality here, right?

That's not what it's really about for people who selectively say "boycott this!" but then completely ignore similar or worst things with certain much bigger companies or projects, because they have some type of vested interest in them (credibility, monetary, career-wise, etc.). Nah, they can miss me with that.
This is not the problem, if the story is true they fired her because she is "a feminist". Which probably means that she tried to take over the project's art direction to make it fit her political/world views (which she can have, but it doesn't mean she gets to coerce everyone in them).

There is no mention of her being fired for being lesbian or being female.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
A good chunk of the people "outraged' at the sexual character designs are acting in bad faith and are really just console warriors angry that it's PlayStation exclusive.
I wonder if we can find some of them were also outraged because of Abby's arms. I don't want to make fun of people because of their mental health status, but maybe it would help them if they consulted for being bi-polar.

Reactions: Diah

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Feminism in South Korea is crazy back in 2010s. Nowadays it kinda dwindles down.

Idk about this, a lot of SK men are patriachial assholes while a lot of women are whiny bitchy toxic feminists like fire and gasoline. China on the other hand, one child policy and families prefers boys kinda makes men brings women onto on their altar.

Japan is the only country in East Asia that has gender equality. Personally I think the gender war is pretty dumb, ngl.

• haha
Reactions: Diah and anonpuffs

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is not the problem, if the story is true they fired her because she is "a feminist". Which probably means that she tried to take over the project's art direction to make it fit her political/world views (which she can have, but it doesn't mean she gets to coerce everyone in them).

There are always two sides to a story. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn she was fired for performance reasons (however they might have occurred, bad work, insubordination, etc.) and then someone tries to make it into a story "I was fired because of my views."

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

In case anyone was wondering, here's the Tumblr of one of said ocntractors.

On a totally unrelated note, are there preorders for the game?

TO BE 100% FAIR
You spend millions on making a game, you want it to look appealing to investors, that means making the game not only be fun but also look fun, you have this great protagonist, she reminds folks of bayonetta, but even hotter.
Like shootin fish in a barrel.
Investor call time, they love the game.
Some fucking idiot starts bitching about how there's too much fan service and makes it look bad in front of the money people.
of course you are getting fired, i dont even care that you're a feminist, you get what you fucking deserve.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

We don't know what was it.
What we DO KNOW is that South Korea is having a massive divide between men and women with extremely world view differences.
So, all in all, yeah, it could be because she's feminist and disagreed with the game's direction.
We don't really know what happened, do we?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
What we DO KNOW is that South Korea is having a massive divide between men and women with extremely world view differences.
So, all in all, yeah, it could be because she's feminist and disagreed with the game's direction.
She claim it was because she was a "feminist" and we have her "art" in some other places and we have seen the game (not the same art style).

We also know how feminists behave around here, so it's fair to take her to her words.

What I think is that she had grievances and tried to push her ideas in an unbecoming way and she did not get the automatic protection these people get around here.

Don't worry, it does not mean they won't at some point, this thing is still spreading.

Reactions: Box

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Feminism doesn't mean people need to be prudes, somewhere along the way people started mistaking unrealistic beauty standards being somewhat harmful in real life to "no media should ever have good looking people" - games are frickin fiction and an escape from reality
I really hate it when you make sense.

Denise Richards Smile GIF

• haha

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Feminism doesn't mean people need to be prudes, somewhere along the way people started mistaking unrealistic beauty standards being somewhat harmful in real life to "no media should ever have good looking people" - games are frickin fiction and an escape from reality
At some point along the way it went from feminine empowerment to women power (like white power).

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Those top pictures, I would really like to know if that are actual art from the show, as in Genuine or if it's all fanart trolling stuff.

It would be surreal if it was real.

• haha

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

But all their past games were full of even more fanservice, so why did she choose to work for such a company?