Stellar Blade developer Shift Up fired two contractor feminists who cried about fanservice to shareholders.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
sure most people with service jobs won't use it much but the fact is a lot of people who might be able to get computer related jobs aren't able to because there's a lot of math in software development and they have to relearn it or they are just shitty and write bad code that doesn't do what it's supposed to.
software development hardly do with math all the way since the early 00s

I used to work for backend back 00s, back then most of hirings were backends because we were adapting from JIWP and JIS to HTML4 and UTF standards. So the most math was..... converting between different ecodings system

I think modern IDE basically trivializing Math problems, so learning advanced Math is useless for programming

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
basically they only teach you algebra and some geometry/trigonometry. but the problem isn't the curriculum, it's the fact that the entire education system doesn't teach kids the absolute necessity of having basic math skills, kids are ok just failing their way through math or doing bare minimum to pass because "math is hard" - when most math is very easy to understand logically. Kids don't like to think and the teachers don't make them so they'd rather memorize formulas than understand the concepts, that starts at an early age and it just compounds the problem. and because a lot of adults are bad at math they aren't really able to help their kids.

To be fair most of math are pretty useless.

Geometric, make sense .Trigonometric functions, Cortesian, three dimensional, bla bla.

But I don't ever recall time I need to use shit like matrix.

I have troubles learning that shit in advanced class back in 3rd year high school to get collage for a degree that is also useless for the rest of my life. So many stupid bloats could be cut, I meant like probably 60% of my countrymen don't know where the Ring of fire is. Like cmon
School is not just about showing you stuff you will use directly, math specifically is about training the brain. History helps you understand where you come from, reading/writing allows for communication, science should help you detect B.S. (even if the current crop of experts is garbage in many fields).

For language, most people won't learn advanced "whatever language you speak", or even too many different languages, yet in school they teach you more than many would deem "useful".

Math, especially these days, very few professional people who work with advanced math do it themselves, they have modeling tools that run the advanced calculations. Yet, we still have advanced math, where they go beyond trigonometry and what not.

Even very basic math (add, substract, multiply, divide)... Cashiers used to be able to do all this right there in their head. Today it's all automated! All you need is some kid to "verify" that you did not cheat when scanning your stuff.

Hey at least you don't live in a country where math is deemed racist and some teacher is trying to have the courts accept that (this person first won, but lost in appeal... but I feel the court did not touch the core of the issue, so he may win in supreme court for all I know).

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
School is not just about showing you stuff you will use directly, math specifically is about training the brain. History helps you understand where you come from, reading/writing allows for communication, science should help you detect B.S. (even if the current crop of experts is garbage in many fields).

For language, most people won't learn advanced "whatever language you speak", or even too many different languages, yet in school they teach you more than many would deem "useful".

Math, especially these days, very few professional people who work with advanced math do it themselves, they have modeling tools that run the advanced calculations. Yet, we still have advanced math, where they go beyond trigonometry and what not.

Even very basic math (add, substract, multiply, divide)... Cashiers used to be able to do all this right there in their head. Today it's all automated! All you need is some kid to "verify" that you did not cheat when scanning your stuff.

Hey at least you don't live in a country where math is deemed racist and some teacher is trying to have the courts accept that (this person first won, but lost in appeal... but I feel the court did not touch the core of the issue, so he may win in supreme court for all I know).
Even if you have tools to do it for you automatically, if you understand the math you can run basic sanity checks to verify that the thing is actually doing what you want it to.

• they're_right_you_know

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Even if you have tools to do it for you automatically, if you understand the math you can run basic sanity checks to verify that the thing is actually doing what you want it to.
Yup, this is why we need people to learn basic skills.

If only we could agree with what those are 😭.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Tools like MatLab or Python is never wrong so pretty much all those things can be automated anyhow.

We should learn how to optimize tools, not how to calculate and never bother to optimize tools.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Also I think develop critical thinking is pretty important since people nowadays will litteraly buy any bs you thrown at them, just with "authority".

Kids should be teach how differentate thoughts and develop ideas, not what to think and what is right or wrong definitely.

Funny how the whole basics of Science are basically just bunch of theorems that can always be challenged and evolved change into that Science is always right, trust the Science because someone with "authority" say so

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Also I think develop critical thinking is pretty important since people nowadays will litteraly buy any bs you thrown at them, just with "authority".

Kids should be teach how differentate thoughts and develop ideas, not what to think and what is right or wrong definitely.

Funny how the whole basics of Science are basically just bunch of theorems that can always be challenged and evolved change into that Science is always right, trust the Science because someone with "authority" say so
Science (the method), Democracy (freedom of speech, assembly, etc.) and Free Markets go hand in hand, they are decentralized ways to solve complex problems that don't rely some nuts "technocrats" and/ authoritarian to dictate the solutions from the top. If you can't have any one of these without the others for a long period of time.

Obviously they all are wrong all the time, scientific papers that make no sense happen all the time, garbage politicians and people who get screwed up in some transaction are way too common, but you can't save everyone from their own stupidity.

Either way, we should probably not derail the thread any more.... there is The Cantina for these discussions.