The Doomers and Gloomers, Sony is dying thread.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I have high standards for gaming so here's my rules
GAAS don't count
Irrelevant remasters or remakes don't count
Games with a Metacritic score under 80 don't count
so I guess they released Stellar Blade earlier in the year but I played the demo and didn't like it too much
This post is a mess but Rise of The Ronin is easily a 80+ game. It didn't deserve these scores at all.

I blame Dragons Dogma 2 that came out the same day and the reviewers were pitting them against each other. Ronin is the better game.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
How would you feel if a movie studio like Paramount or WB made it so you couldn't watch their blu rays on any blu ray player and you had to buy a specific one from said company
This is already happening with streaming and it's seen as normal and healthy competition. What's the difference?

There's also a cost to porting a game to another platform, it's not as simple as you think. Where is DOTA, Counterstrike or Deadlock on my PS5 if it's that easy? You can't even find it on Epic and it's the same fucking hardware.

31 Aug 2024
This is already happening with streaming and it's seen as normal and healthy competition. What's the difference?

There's also a cost to porting a game to another platform, it's not as simple as you think. Where is DOTA, Counterstrike or Deadlock on my PS5 if it's that easy? You can't even find it on Epic and it's the same fucking hardware.
Besides Disney most other movie studios license out their content to other streamers

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
You mean like Batman Caped Crusader on Amazon Prime and the Fast and Furious films on HBO Max you see I can cherry pick too

You can cherry pick as much as you like, doesn't mean these services don't have exclusive content in order to lock in customers.

And I will repeat myself: having a game made specifically for one hardware configuration has many benefits for the end consumer.

31 Aug 2024
You can cherry pick as much as you like, doesn't mean these services don't have exclusive content in order to lock in customers.

And I will repeat myself: having a game made specifically for one hardware configuration has many benefits for the end consumer.
Yeah and sometimes they share their exclusive content and there is nothing wrong with that

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Yeah and sometimes they share their exclusive content and there is nothing wrong with that

Yes, they could make their games available via cloud or have mobile games based on their IPs. Stuff which wouldn't decline the quality of their games on console.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
How much of a meltdown will you have when Sony ports more games to PC
No meltdown at all. I already stopped supporting them for this as I've already seen the effects it's having on their output. I will treat them like any other 3rd party publisher and might or might not stay into their ecosystem next gen.

How much will you cry if they come to reason (after seeing the negative financial impact it will have in the future) and stop porting their games, though?

Reactions: Diah
31 Aug 2024
No meltdown at all. I already stopped supporting them for this as I've already seen the effects it's having on their output. I will treat them like any other 3rd party publisher and might or might not stay into their ecosystem next gen.

How much will you cry if they come to reason (after seeing the negative financial impact it will have in the future) and stop porting their games, though?
Don’t worry i’ll continue enjoying Spider Man and God Of War Ragnorak on my PC

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Don’t worry i’ll continue enjoying Spider Man and God Of War Ragnorak on my PC
Great for you! I've played them already, they are very good, even though GOW, as a cross-gen title with PC port in mind, didn't fully express its potential on PS5. Too bad Spidey 2 was also already affected by PCportitis. Guess that's the price to pay in order to have less crybabies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diah
31 Aug 2024
Great for you! I've played them already, they are very good, even though GOW, as a cross-gen title with PC port in mind, didn't fully express its potential on PS5. Too bad Spidey 2 was also already affected by PCportitis. Guess that's the price to pay in order to have less crybaby.
I’m not crying just having a great time playing Sony exclusives on my PC at 4K 120fps

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
But you will never know how much better it could've been if it was developed for a single, fixed hardware. Multiplatform development always means that corners are cut.
How much better could it realistically get? It looks fantastic already!!

24 Jun 2022

"Sometimes".

SIE has ported virtually 85% of their 1P games released this gen to PC by now, and the PS5 Pro hasn't even launched yet.

Assuming the Nvidia leak is still happening, GT7 and Demon's Souls are next up. Can't forget about Spiderman 2. So in terms of non-GAAS all PS5 would have that's still exclusive is....Astro Bot?

A whopping one game, and that's very much what it could end up looking like between early 2025 and whenever Death Stranding 2 is set to release. That is absolutely abysmal for what is meant to be the centerpiece of their gaming operations. Take off your blinders.

This is why a lot of us are hoping the plans regarding ports have changed significantly, because as-is future momentum for PS consoles will basically start to dry up. Unless the next PlayStation is basically a gaming PC (which still introduces a whole host of problems, like what OS would it use and how would SIE make it BC with all PS1-PS5 games that don't have ports on PC).

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
How much better could it realistically get? It looks fantastic already!!
Even if just marginally, it would be better. And we are talking about more than just graphics. More resources can go into QA for a single platforms. Why do you think PS games have had lot of bugs this generation? More than usual.

There is a reason why many 3rd party don't bother with console-exclusive "gimmicks".

There is a reason why level design changes based on what platforms need to be supported.

There is a reason why some kind of games are pushed vs. other kind of games depending on what platforms games are released.