The Doomers and Gloomers, Sony is dying thread.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You guys haven't got a clue if you think Herman going is gonna change anything.

I mean folks hated jim for the same reasons. But I guess Jim leaving made everything better right?

Reactions: toadsage44

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
No reason this couldn’t be a post in one of 3 topics about the same thing… especially considering similar sentiments where probably said by yourself and others there.

I believe this is called … spam.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You guys haven't got a clue if you think Herman going is gonna change anything.

I mean folks hated jim for the same reasons. But I guess Jim leaving made everything better right?
so Hermen was the one who made Sony lose 400M on Concord + god knows how much on Firewalk, and you want him to stay and get promoted? this is some Xbot mentality here, just like Phil Spencer... HE. NEEDS. TO. GO.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
No reason this couldn’t be a post in one of 3 topics about the same thing… especially considering similar sentiments where probably said by yourself and others there.

I believe this is called … spam.
it's not, i'm just trying to look at the positive side of it

• Informative
Reactions: Neversummer

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Lol Concord didnt cost 400million. People need to stop spreading shit

But Hermen needs to go. TBH Sony needs to figure how to deal with online hate, lies and some other issues. Not FUD just normal

• they're_right_you_know

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
He better hope and pray, Fairgames isn’t the massive catastrophe flop that Concord was. That game looks like it has as much budget as Concord, especially since they’re using that cloud tech. You can’t keep having these multi 100M dollar flops on your watch.

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
there is no way on earth Hermen Hulst doesn't get fired after this, and that's amazing, he's a cancer to PlayStation, not only he's been championing and pushing for GAAs games under SIE, but he's been pushing for multiplatform releases too, these PC ports are heavly influenced by him and you can't tell me it's not, Horizon Zero Dawn was the first game to go to PC, the initiative started in Guerrilla, Horizon Lego Adventures is the first game to go to Nintendo Switch, again, there is a precedent here, the way this guy was PROMOTED to the top position of SIE being a CEO this year tells me everything i need to know of the future of the brand if he stays in charge, time for him to be FIRED and 1000% blacklisted within the company
U ppl are talking nonsense. Concord didn't cost $400mil and Herman isn't getting fired. Herman was just appointed firing him would reflect badly kenichro and hiroki. They aren't going to give the board any reason to think they are making bad decisions. They will blame the heads of firewall but they definitely are going to blame Herman publicly. Lol u guys really need to stop sony doesn't care about u or your opinions. They will continue with gaas and continue to put games on pc and license out older ip and even core ip. That's the future just accept it.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Lol Concord didnt cost 400million. People need to stop spreading shit

But Hermen needs to go. TBH Sony needs to figure how to deal with online hate, lies and some other issues. Not FUD just normal

Herman and co don't care about online FUD because it isn't real. It doesn't impact their bottom line. People need to go touch grass. They constantly believe the negative online echo chamber is valid, but time and time again evidence proves them wrong.

Case in point PS5 Pro outrage yet in 5 days the PS5 Pro is going to sell out via pre-orders. Similarly all the 30th anniversary stuff is going to sell out as well.

Sony will generate over a billion dollars in revenue in about 2 weeks...

Herman is about to deliver GOTY in Astro Bot and one of if not Sony's best selling games in its history in Helldivers 2 and Herman needs to go? Some people are simply delusional.

Reactions: voke

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
so Hermen was the one who made Sony lose 400M on Concord + god knows how much on Firewalk, and you want him to stay and get promoted? this is some Xbot mentality here, just like Phil Spencer... HE. NEEDS. TO. GO.
I don't really like Herman and yeah I'd want to see someone else take over.

But you honestly think the decisions Herman makes are just something that he alone wants? Sony execs are all in on it, that's why your not changing anything with one person leaving.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Herman and co don't care about online FUD because it isn't real. It doesn't impact their bottom line. People need to go touch grass. They constantly believe the negative online echo chamber is valid, but time and time again evidence proves them wrong.

Case in point PS5 Pro outrage yet in 5 days the PS5 Pro is going to sell out via pre-orders. Similarly all the 30th anniversary stuff is going to sell out as well.

Sony will generate over a billion dollars in revenue in about 2 weeks...

Herman is about to deliver GOTY in Astro Bot and one of if not Sony's best selling games in its history in Helldivers 2 and Herman needs to go? Some people are simply delusional.
Hermen Hulst was literally Pro closure of all Japanese studios within Sony Interactive Entertainment and was a huge enemy of Days Gone 2, Bend now is working on a Live Service title

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
U ppl are talking nonsense. Concord didn't cost $400mil and Herman isn't getting fired. Herman was just appointed firing him would reflect badly kenichro and hiroki. They aren't going to give the board any reason to think they are making bad decisions. They will blame the heads of firewall but they definitely are going to blame Herman publicly. Lol u guys really need to stop sony doesn't care about u or your opinions. They will continue with gaas and continue to put games on pc and license out older ip and even core ip. That's the future just accept it.
Yeah people are acting like Herman is the only one who’s made bad decisions. People forget that Shu also made his share of mistakes.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I don't really like Herman and yeah I'd want to see someone else take over.

But you honestly think the decisions Herman makes are just something that he alone wants? Sony execs are all in on it, that's why your not changing anything with one person leaving.
i know the main decisions come from Kenichiro and Hiroki, but Hermen is the one in charge to decide what games get made or not, and he was all in on Concord, his incompetence made Sony lose half a billion dollars and acquire a dead weight of a studio

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Hermen Hulst was literally Pro closure of all Japanese studios within Sony Interactive Entertainment and was a huge enemy of Days Gone 2, Bend now is working on a Live Service title

You're suffering from some illness and I'm sad for you
  • Herman Hulst created the Asobi Studio keeping them open rather than closing all of Japan Studio
    • Team ICO had already left after the failure of The Last Guardian
    • Team Siren/Team Gravity Rush wanted to make low budget games, they're currently working on Slitterhead that looks like pure trash
    • Most of Japan Studios was producers rather than developers
    • Many of the developers remain there as part of Asobio
    • Polyphony Digital was never in danger of being closed
  • Rumor is that Day's Gone is getting remastered and we know that a movie is planned
    • Herman Hulst is in charge of both software development and PlayStation Productions
    • Day's Gone 2 was never pitched to Sony it died at Bend
    • There is no confirmation that Bend is working on a Live Service game and Bend was not listed as a Live Service Studio in the sony financials
You have a serious problem and you need to get help.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You're suffering from some illness and I'm sad for you
  • Herman Hulst created the Asobi Studio keeping them open rather than closing all of Japan Studio
    • Team ICO had already left after the failure of The Last Guardian
    • Team Siren/Team Gravity Rush wanted to make low budget games, they're currently working on Slitterhead that looks like pure trash
    • Most of Japan Studios was producers rather than developers
    • Many of the developers remain there as part of Asobio
    • Polyphony Digital was never in danger of being closed
  • Rumor is that Day's Gone is getting remastered and we know that a movie is planned
    • Herman Hulst is in charge of both software development and PlayStation Productions
    • Day's Gone 2 was never pitched to Sony it died at Bend
    • There is no confirmation that Bend is working on a Live Service game and Bend was not listed as a Live Service Studio in the sony financials
You have a serious problem and you need to get help.
here he comes with a bible sized text thinking anyone will read it

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
here he comes with a bible sized text thinking anyone will read it

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
if Hermen Hulst continues in charge: Nintendo Switch 2 will receive tentpole PlayStation games left and right, PC will get day and date tentpole titles in the next couple of years, and they'll be released on Steam, the biggest PS Store competitor currently.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
Some people really don't know how such large companies work, do they? Spencer burned through billions of dollars without losing his job. Do you really think Hulst, who wasn't even CEO at the time, made the decision about Concord and other live service projects on his own?

He also said in an interview that not all of these projects are released and some aren't as successful as they hoped. Ubisoft has had several flopped F2P projects, and after its initial success, Xdefiant doesn't seem to be living up to expectations, but that doesn't stop Ubisoft from trying. Sony has had a huge success with Helldivers 2. Even if the number of players isn't constant, over 12 million have bought the game for at least $40, which ultimately means more revenue than an Astro Bot or Bloodborne could generate together.

Sony and all other publishers take a risk with every project that it will flop. The new Cory Barlog IP will certainly cost $250+ million and could be a complete flop. LoU 1 was a big risk according to Naughty Dog and Sony, because up to now no one has ever implemented this narrative form in games.

This 400 million dollar budget is also not confirmed but comes from an ex-journalist who says that he hasn't done any research for years and that an alleged developer approached him. So one person is claiming it, while other journalists double-check their stories and have multiple sources. What is said in the podcast hardly makes sense chronologically, it is impossible to squander 200 million dollars in less than 1.5 years when the only team working in full production is less than 200 people strong. I'd rather wait and see if other journalists confirm this story at some point.

But the fact is that Hulst has several employees under him who monitor and produce projects. AFAIK a long-time employee was fired last year, shortly after LoU Online was finally canceled. Jaffe and Colin were still upset about how that could be, maybe we now have the reason. But that's all speculation and I don't think we'll ever find out what happened internally, and to be honest I don't care. Sony has delivered several flops over the decades and internally, without us ever knowing, games are regularly canceled or converted into another project. Ghost of Tsushima was something completely different in the beginning, in a medieval setting. LoU1 was supposedly a new project in the Jak and Daxter universe.

None of us know if Hulst is doing a good job because Sony is also pursuing a new strategy and rarely announces titles more than 2-3 years in advance. If he was doing a bad job, he probably wouldn't have been appointed CEO with even more power and influence.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters