The GoWR, TLOU2, and GoT, megathread! The soup of PS 1st Party goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why would expenses be near 300 million?
It's aprox. what a AAA of that size and dev time takes to be developed+marketed, probably a bit less. Regarding its revenue until now I think it has been way above $500M counting the Ikki DLC & DC.

I'm pretty sure the game already generated more than twice money than it did cost (including DLC & DC).

My maths was on spot.
I said in the discord that GoT probably didn't crossed 10 million like TLOU2 did in early this year.

Now it will end the narrative that GoT was selling more than TLOU2.

TLOU2 was over 10M copies this Spring (maybe achieved the 10M mark before, they don't specify when they did it), GoT -released a month later- it's almost at 10M as of early July.

Seems TLOU2 had a stronger start but they are pretty much tied now (probably thanks to GoT getting the DLC & DC).

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
Jeff Ross:

Plotting Super Mario GIF by Gaming GIFs
Lol I want him to go back to Sony though, I don't blame him for wanting Days Gone 2

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
It's aprox. what a AAA of that size and dev time takes to be developed+marketed, probably a bit less. Regarding its revenue until now I think it has been way above $500M counting the Ikki DLC & DC.

I'm pretty sure the game already generated more than twice money than it did cost (including DLC & DC).
Ghost didn’t cost 300 mil to make. Sucker Punch have like 150-160 people.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Ghost didn’t cost 300 mil to make. Sucker Punch have like 150-160 people.
The developers of the lead studio are always a tiny part of the total amount of people who works in a AAA game, traditionally around a 10%. The game credits include 1796 people (1697 in normal credits, 99 in "thanks")

As a rough average, multiply the number of the people credited in the normal credits by 100K to get the development costs (testers cost less, execs more but that number typically is accurate for AAA games) and then double it to add the marketing/PR/etc costs. The game costed around $340M aprox not counting DLC and DC.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
The developers of the lead studio are always a tiny part of the total amount of people who works in a AAA game, traditionally around a 10%. The game credits include 1796 people (1697 in normal credits, 99 in "thanks")
lol

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Those are great numbers but I'm disappointed, sorry.

It deserves to be in the big club with GOW and Spider-Man. The DC came out last year and Sony barely advertised it. It's now on PS+ so the sales will slow down even more.

Maybe the movie will help but it will never reach 15 millions at this rate 😥

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

It deserves to be in the big club with GOW and Spider-Man. The DC came out last year and Sony barely advertised it. It's now on PS+ so the sales will slow down even more.

You expected a new IP to be in the same sales club as GoW a 20 year old IP and Spider-Man a multi-billion dollar movie and comic franchise? Not even Uncharted and TLOU are in that club

This is why yall shouldn’t fight back so hard against Sonys PC push because Ghost most def can reach 15M with a PC release

Ghost is doing as well as Horizon which was a major sales milestone for a new IP, and with less discounts and bundles.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Not comparable at all

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
So much for TLoU Part 2 haters GoT sold much more. TLoU Part 2 didn't have a Director's Cut yet as well.

Still pretty good sales regardless, Sony on a roll, another super successful new IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.