[UPDATE: Debunked] Sony VR2 production cuts due to low pre-orders

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
and let's not forget the smear campaign over the PS4

"it won't exist"
"sony are bankrupt"
"same spec as 360"
"delayed"
"over priced under powered"
"xbox has already won the generation"
"beta tested in the future"

etc etc. We saw how that one turned out
My favorite smear companies are the following

Nintendo is doomed.
PC gaming is dead.

Always a good laugh.

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Law

30 Jan 2023
I wouldn't be so quick to label this debunked.

"PlayStation says it has "not cut PlayStation VR2 production numbers", following a report from Bloomberg."

Doesn't directly refute this:

"The initial report said that Sony was making a significant reduction in its projections for PlayStation VR 2, and even warned supply partners that manufacturing could decrease as well.

The outlet stated that Sony had halved its original forecast for PSVR 2 shipments from two million units for the headset's launch quarter to one million."

Bloomberg article said Sony was halving forecasts, headline used the words slashing output.

Chris' follow-up tweet: "To be clear, Sony outright told me "we have not cut PlayStation VR2 production numbers." There was no nuance in that."

Notice the careful usage of wording. Sony doesn't directly refute output or forecast, repeatedly emphasizes production numbers. They're not cutting what's in production right now but say nothing about forecast or output for entire year.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022

"PlayStation says it has "not cut PlayStation VR2 production numbers", following a report from Bloomberg."

"The initial report said that Sony was making a significant reduction in its projections for PlayStation VR 2, and even warned supply partners that manufacturing could decrease as well.

The outlet stated that Sony had halved its original forecast for PSVR 2 shipments from two million units for the headset's launch quarter to one million."

Bloomberg article said Sony was halving forecasts, headline used the words slashing output.

Chris' follow-up tweet: "To be clear, Sony outright told me "we have not cut PlayStation VR2 production numbers." There was no nuance in that."

Notice the careful usage of wording. Sony doesn't directly refute output or forecast, repeatedly emphasizes production numbers. They're not cutting what's in production right now but say nothing about forecast or output for entire year.
"we have not cut PlayStation VR2 production numbers."

It's hardly the Enigma code you're trying to break here. Sometimes basic reading comprehension works too.

Sony have not cut PSVR2 production numbers.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Sony direct said they did not cut PSVR2 production numbers.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I think it really ramped up around the time of the infamous Jim Ryan abortion/"i love cats" email
Maybe, but some of the stuff I saw was some long rant about how Sony competed unfairly last gen against Xbox and were trying to force them out of business like they supposedly did to Sega, lol.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Maybe, but some of the stuff I saw was some long rant about how Sony competed unfairly last gen against Xbox and were trying to force them out of business like they supposedly did to Sega, lol.
A relatively minor opinion from dumb console warriors

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Sony direct said they did not cut PSVR2 production numbers.
Sony says they haven't cut production numbers.

The original article is talking about shipment forecast numbers.

Sources told Bloomberg that the company halved its original forecast for PSVR 2 shipments from two million units for the headset's launch quarter to one million.

Sony used PR speak but it does not refute the original article.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony says they haven't cut production numbers.

The original article is talking about shipment forecast numbers.

Sony used PR speak but it does not refute the original article.
So they produced the units... where do you think they go?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I have only seen the Sega part of that argument pop up this gen, which leaves out a ton of details about what was actually going on at Sega during that time and why they ultimately went third party.
As soon as MS started buying publishers Xbox warriors started talking about Psygnosis and Sony killed Sega. It was like a script.

Sony was never blamed for killing Sega until this gen. Weird.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
So they produced the units... where do you think they go?

Who knows, sitting in a warehouse, cause they might be reducing shipment amounts based on low pre orders.

They already did the thing where you could pre-order units without invites shortly after announcing it, the demand was not too high in the first place.

It's probably gonna sell through to the enthusiast crowd in the opening months but start dwindling after a few months.

It’s because he has an agenda

Only as much as any other poster here.

This is so hilariously wrong. PS2 killing dreamcast (and thus Sony killing Sega) has been in the gaming lexicon for about 2 decades now.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
As soon as MS started buying publishers Xbox warriors started talking about Psygnosis and Sony killed Sega. It was like a script.

Sega killed themselves in terms of consoles, American and Japanese divisions were at odds with eachother and they were making poor decisions with regards to their hardware since before the Playstation even existed. Dreamcast was good but Sega had already done too much damage to themselves to be able to keep it going.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Who knows, sitting in a warehouse, cause they might be reducing shipment amounts based on low pre orders.

They already did the thing where you could pre-order units without invites shortly after announcing it, the demand was not too high in the first place.

It's probably gonna sell through to the enthusiast crowd in the opening months but start dwindling after a few months.

Only as much as any other poster here.

This is so hilariously wrong. PS2 killing dreamcast (and thus Sony killing Sega) has been in the gaming lexicon for about 2 decades now.
EA killed Dreamcast

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters