[UPDATE: Debunked] Sony VR2 production cuts due to low pre-orders

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is so hilariously wrong. PS2 killing dreamcast (and thus Sony killing Sega) has been in the gaming lexicon for about 2 decades now.
There was some rivalry between Sony and Sega for sure because the PS1 was extremely successful but Sony was not "blamed" for killing Sega. They didn't do anything. The market decided.

The Dreamcast was already dying long before the PS2 came out over a year later. Stop hanging out with the brainwashed Xbox cultists and check your dates. It was already too late.
EA killed Dreamcast
That's the real truth but they would rather blame Sony. Sony is always the enemy.

Reactions: Shmunter

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Did Sony ever talk about expected sales numbers? All I could find was analyst expectations.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Who knows, sitting in a warehouse, cause they might be reducing shipment amounts based on low pre orders.

They already did the thing where you could pre-order units without invites shortly after announcing it, the demand was not too high in the first place.

It's probably gonna sell through to the enthusiast crowd in the opening months but start dwindling after a few months.

Only as much as any other poster here.

This is so hilariously wrong. PS2 killing dreamcast (and thus Sony killing Sega) has been in the gaming lexicon for about 2 decades now.
But Sega actually committed suicide. It is known.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Sega's bad decisions killed Saturn/Dreamcast, but PS2's mega success put the dirt in its grave.
It’s documented that the lack of EA games was the primary contributor. Success of Sony was in part driven by the lack of success SEGA had. It’s all related.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
D

Deleted member 417

I don't want to make another thread for more bullshit from Microsofts extended PR team, but I thought this was worth a share.

Interesting that this article from FORBES drops less than a day after the Bloomberg article is debunked. These two rags work in tandem to bring negative PR news.

Forbes are the one who lied about chip shortages and wiped $1 billion off of Sony stock price...

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022

I don't want to make another thread for more bullshit from Microsofts extended PR team, but I thought this was worth a share.

Interesting that this article from FORBES drops less than a day after the Bloomberg article is debunked. These two rags work in tandem to bring negative PR news.

Forbes are the one who lied about chip shortages and wiped $1 billion off of Sony stock price...
Let me guess

-Paul Tassi
-Limited games day 1 is now a problem (not a problem in 2020)
-You need a PS5 to play a PS5 peripheral

Johnny Carson Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

D

Deleted member 417

Feel free to make a thread of this for the laugh. Here's the full story:

It starts with fellating Bloomberg (notice how Sony denied it, not that Bloomberg lied)

There’s a new report out from Bloomberg that Sony is going to cut its sales forecasts down for PSVR 2 after pre-orders have been lacking. According to the report (where admittedly, Bloomberg has missed on Sony insider reports before), the forecast is being cut from 2 million to 1 million for its launch quarter. The headset launches in just three weeks on February 22.

(Update: Sony has now denied it is cutting production numbers for PSVR 2. Though that wasn’t quite what the original report said, rather that it was cutting internal sales forecasts).

The complaints:

• PSVR 2 Is Priced At $550 – Well above not just its Meta Quest competitors, both present and likely future, but also more expensive than even a top-end PS5 itself.

• You Need A PS5 To Play It – That’s the other thing. The Meta Quest is standalone, while you will also need to own a PS5 to run PSVR 2. That may have been more acceptable when other VR headsets were needing to be plugged into high end computers, but standalone sets have been the big breakout since then.

• It Has a Cord – Again, this is not what most VR players are hoping for in 2023, where many VR headsets, including Meta’s, are now cord-free, where here, you’ll still be tethered to your PlayStation.

• Launch Games Are Limited – The new Horizon VR title is its biggest launch draw, but again, you’re charging $550 for something with only a scattering of games, and many of them are ports because…

• PSVR 2 Is Not Backward Compatible – I am picturing many people who enjoyed PSVR 1 and yet are very dismayed to find that entire library is not transferring over to the new unit. I understand, technically, why that may be happening, but it doesn’t feel good to be asked to A) buy pricey new hardware and B) not have any backward compatibility when that’s been very normalized in the console space itself.

This is the entitlement in the industry. The feeling that buying a game is now verboten

Last edited by a moderator:

Law

30 Jan 2023
"we have not cut PlayStation VR2 production numbers."

It's hardly the Enigma code you're trying to break here. Sometimes basic reading comprehension works too.

Sony have not cut PSVR2 production numbers.
This could simply mean they haven't modified purchase orders currently in production. It says nothing about future planned POs.

I could be wrong but I'm not quick to accept it as an absolute refutation. Every public statement put out by these firms are vetted & carefully constructed. Like Nintendo saying "we have no plans to announce new x this year".

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
  • PSVR 2 Is Priced At $550 – Well above not just its Meta Quest competitors, both present and likely future, but also more expensive than even a top-end PS5 itself.

PSVR2 is higher specced than most of if not all VR Headsets on the market, at least for gaming. One of the Meta Quest competitors costs 1.5k.

• You Need A PS5 To Play It – That’s the other thing. The Meta Quest is standalone, while you will also need to own a PS5 to run PSVR 2. That may have been more acceptable when other VR headsets were needing to be plugged into high end computers, but standalone sets have been the big breakout since then.

If you want to play games with your meta quest or htc vive at the same level of fidelity you will need a PC that's of a higher cost than the PS5.

• It Has a Cord – Again, this is not what most VR players are hoping for in 2023, where many VR headsets, including Meta’s, are now cord-free, where here, you’ll still be tethered to your PlayStation.

It has a chord because it uses the capabilities of the PS5 to stream higher quality games.

• Launch Games Are Limited – The new Horizon VR title is its biggest launch draw, but again, you’re charging $550 for something with only a scattering of games, and many of them are ports because…

There's a metric fuckton of games coming to the PSVR 2 launch, not including PSVR games being patched for compatibility. This is absolute bullshit.

• PSVR 2 Is Not Backward Compatible – I am picturing many people who enjoyed PSVR 1 and yet are very dismayed to find that entire library is not transferring over to the new unit. I understand, technically, why that may be happening, but it doesn’t feel good to be asked to A) buy pricey new hardware and B) not have any backward compatibility when that’s been very normalized in the console space itself.

Games are being patched.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I wouldn't be so quick to label this debunked.

"PlayStation says it has "not cut PlayStation VR2 production numbers", following a report from Bloomberg."

Doesn't directly refute this:

"The initial report said that Sony was making a significant reduction in its projections for PlayStation VR 2, and even warned supply partners that manufacturing could decrease as well.

The outlet stated that Sony had halved its original forecast for PSVR 2 shipments from two million units for the headset's launch quarter to one million."

Bloomberg article said Sony was halving forecasts, headline used the words slashing output.

Chris' follow-up tweet: "To be clear, Sony outright told me "we have not cut PlayStation VR2 production numbers." There was no nuance in that."

Notice the careful usage of wording. Sony doesn't directly refute output or forecast, repeatedly emphasizes production numbers. They're not cutting what's in production right now but say nothing about forecast or output for entire year.
Welcome to my ignore list, you utter shill.

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78