What Are You Playing Right Now?

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
I have committed a terrible crime.

I bought Metal Gear Survive. (It was on sale.)

FnmAaQ7XwAA0MMO

FnmAaQ6X0AAfnUG

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I really have to break my habit of starting games, only to play them for a few hours and move on to something else 😅 a few nights ago, I started GTA 3 Definitive and played about 5-6 hours. Although it's updated and has more modern controls, it's still kind of rough around the edges. Seems like my inputs frequently lag, especially when I'm trying to get in or out of a vehicle. I played the original on PS2 about 20 years ago, but I just screwed around in the game and didn't notice issues with input lag. I'm going to finish it, but I think it'll be a bit of a slog.

Last night, I started Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning and played long enough to finish the tutorial area of the game. It's fun so far! The combat reminds me of Fable, which is great because I really like that series. I don't know how this game went under my radar when it first came out!

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's a good first world problem to have that I have more games to play and less time.

KgcvEY2.jpg
3rd-person cinematic games after you were shitting on them just yesterday. I bet you will play Jedi Survivor and Resident Evil 4 too even if they follow that template.

You're only sick of them when they are from Sony (while you platinum them in secret).

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
3rd-person cinematic games after you were shitting on them just yesterday. I bet you will play Jedi Survivor and Resident Evil 4 too even if they follow that template.

You're only sick of them when they are from Sony (while you platinum them in secret).

"shitting on them"

you have a very active imagination my friend, I knew I liked you for a reason 🥳

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Dead Space remake is such a tight experience. The pacing, controls, combat etc are so good even though it plays almost exactly like the originals.

Regardless of it doing mostly the same, it is such a better experience to play compared to Callisto.

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I'm working my way through Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning and I'm starting to run out of steam. The first couple hours, I thought it was like the perfect marriage of Fable and Skyrim, but as I play more, I'm seeing that it falls flat in comparison to those games.

The combat and world structure are similar to Fable, but it doesn't have that wacky charm that makes that series one of my favorites. It has crafting, factions to join, and a seemingly endless number of side quests like Skyrim, but it all feels pointless. If I craft a piece of armor, I get something at random rather than just picking what I want to craft from the outset. And the factions and side quests, similar to Skyrim, boil down to "Go here, kill this enemy, get this item, come back, rinse and repeat," but at least Skyrim has followers you can unlock by doing the faction quests. Unfortunately, there are no companions/followers at all in Amalur, which makes it feel lonelier.

Spoiler about faction questlines: Again, similar to Skyrim, you can basically work your way to the top of factions simply by doing a few connected quests. So far, I've only completed the questline for one faction, the Fae at the House of Ballads. I have become the king of one of the House of Ballads, but it literally amounted to nothing. I got some items along the way, but that's about it. They weren't great items in comparison to the gear I already had, so I sold them. The Fae don't even seem to treat me much differently now that I'm king, but I guess that's not far off from how it is in Skyrim either. One thing of note is that completing the Fae questline early in the story actually affected some of the dialogue in a main quest. There's a part where you have to seek the help of a Fae at the House of Ballads, and he says something to the effect of "I'd say this task is impossible, but I would've said it was impossible for you to (insert thing I did to become king)." That was actually a nice touch and surprised me!

The magic and skill trees are also kind of lame, which was one of my biggest gripes about Outer Worlds. It feels like, for the most part, your skills are about numbers more than adding interesting abilities and effects. After spending a certain number of points in a class, you can unlock a new tier of skills which might make one or two new abilities available , but it's just not engaging enough for me. It doesn't feel fun to use a skill point and all you get out of it is 3% more damage with bows and an extra arrow in your quiver.

I picked up the DLC last month in the holiday sale, so I'll try out the new content from that and hope it's better, but I don't know if it'll change much. I guess I now see why this game is more slept on than other RPGs.

Last edited:

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Finished GTA III and GTA Vice City definitive editions. Im going for San Andreas now 💚
I actually started GTA 3 about a week ago. Played through a few missions, but after trying like 15 times, I've given up. I can't beat the Bomb Da Base: Act II mission... As usual, I'll probably come back to it after taking a break and complete it first try

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
On a whim after watching someone play Fire Emblem Engage on twitch, I recently purchased Fire Emblem Three Houses to give it a shot. Got it in the mail today and played it for a couple hours. This is my first FE game and so far, it's actually enjoyable. The only thing I don't like about it, up to this point, is the microscopic font size in handheld mode. I really don't understand how they screwed this up so badly, but even more bizarre is the fact that they haven't even fixed it. I enabled the zoom feature in my Switch settings, and when a tutorial message pops up I pretty much have to zoom in on it, lest I strain my eyes. I've heard it's better when you play it docked and I usually prefer to play the switch that way, but I can't do that at the moment. My ex's TV is still in the living room for the foreseeable future until she can get her own place and I don't feel like unplugging her crap to connect my dock to her TV, so for now I'll have to make do with handheld or go sit on the uncomfortable futon in my old gaming room to use the dock in there. First world problems!

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
I actually started GTA 3 about a week ago. Played through a few missions, but after trying like 15 times, I've given up. I can't beat the Bomb Da Base: Act II mission... As usual, I'll probably come back to it after taking a break and complete it first try

I was actually surprised with GTA 3 difficulty. Definitely the hardest grand thet auto game that I've played. The SPANK suicide bombers were a pain in the ass.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Finished Dead Space. Took a little over 12 hour, a bit shorter than I expected TBH.

In general, it was way more faithful to the original than I thought. I was expecting different scenarios and expanded stuff ala Resident Evil's remake on Gamecube, but aside from some minor additional character moments, it plays almost exactly like the original.

1kmc44.png

1-31-2023_4-17-20_pm-1rfmr.png

1-31-2023_4-17-21_pm-s5ecp.png

1-31-2023_4-17-21_pm-nqcoh.png

1-31-2023_4-17-21_pm-r0fdd.png

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Finished Dead Space. Took a little over 12 hour, a bit shorter than I expected TBH.

In general, it was way more faithful to the original than I thought. I was expecting different scenarios and expanded stuff ala Resident Evil's remake on Gamecube, but aside from some minor additional character moments, it plays almost exactly like the original.

1kmc44.png

1-31-2023_4-17-20_pm-1rfmr.png

1-31-2023_4-17-21_pm-s5ecp.png

1-31-2023_4-17-21_pm-nqcoh.png

1-31-2023_4-17-21_pm-r0fdd.png
520/1000 Gamerscore - You did not finish jack shit. Go back and get 1000/1000 then come brag about it :p

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
520/1000 Gamerscore - You did not finish jack shit. Go back and get 1000/1000 then come brag about it :p

I did the first run with just the plasma cutter as per tradition lol.

There's achievements for every single weapon kills, so that's gonna increase for NG+ :p

Not that I noticed any VRS related issues specifically on Xbox, but I'm still gonna wait till the patch drops on Xbox before starting again for NG+.

There's an Impossible difficulty achievement, I hate difficulty gated achievements but might give this one a shot.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
I did the first run with just the plasma cutter as per tradition lol.

There's achievements for every single weapon kills, so that's gonna increase for NG+ :p

Not that I noticed any VRS related issues specifically on Xbox, but I'm still gonna wait till the patch drops on Xbox before starting again for NG+.

There's an Impossible difficulty achievement, I hate difficulty gated achievements but might give this one a shot.
Difficulty achievements are easy if you understand game mechanics and the level design and know what to expect and plan ahead of the game.

• brain
Reactions: Summer Nightmares