What does Sony need to realistically release next year to stay ahead of the competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I dont think Spiderman 2 is a 90+ game unless they blow us away with some stuff never done before

Spider-man 1 was what, a 97? A next-gen only spider-man that iterates on the formula, adds venom, more interactive city, better swinging…i could see it hitting a 90. I think as time went on like Tsushima. Spider-man became bigger than the original rating it received.

Starfield is the only big game MS really has next year.

The fact Redfall has to be listed as a big game.. after the abysmyal start to the gen.. in year 3 of the gen..

Is really sad lol

But for me Starfield + Spiderman + BOTW 2 is just an awesome year to be a gamer who owns every platform. Lots of other icing on the cake as well, but those are the biggies for me personally. TLOU Online has me super interested but I'm not much on "new" MP games.. I play Smite pretty much exclusively as far as my online fun goes.

Sony is going to have just about every crown though as far as metrics IMO.

Arkane games alway do well with critics and core gamers. Idk if Redfall will set the world on fire but its the first real Bethesda first party game xbox is getting so its big on that aspect alone.

It would have been a lot better if it were a tailor made single player immersive sim, which is what people really want from Arkane.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Factions should come out on September or Holiday 2023. That would be the best with the TV Show.

2024 would be too late.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Spider-man 1 was what, a 97? A next-gen only spider-man that iterates on the formula, adds venom, more interactive city, better swinging…i could see it hitting a 90. I think as time went on like Tsushima. Spider-man became bigger than the original rating it received.

Arkane games alway do well with critics and core gamers. Idk if Redfall will set the world on fire but its the first real Bethesda first party game xbox is getting so its big on that aspect alone.

It would have been a lot better if it were a tailor made single player immersive sim, which is what people really want from Arkane.
As good as Insomniac is they've yet to capture that next level of a solidly entrenched 90+ game

Spiderman as great as it was left a lot to be desired in terms of open world content, narrative, variety.

They could push to 90 but they essentially need to be aiming to compete with Rockstar after the sales of the first game.

If they are not aiming high enough that will be disappointing

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Factions should be a category mindfuck:

1. Sony's Quality in GaaS (graphics).
2. No broken or incomplete.
3. MTXs on point.
4. Revolutionary way to integrate the narrative into the structure of GaaS.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I dont think Spiderman 2 is a 90+ game unless they blow us away with some stuff never done before

Yeah, Insomniac is a amazing team with probably the best output but I haven’t seen anything from them like Santa Monica or Naughty Dog does.

Combat was great, same as Ghost of Tsushima. Production and graphics, story telling was good too but both are gonna have to take it to the next level and maybe add something new and special to open world games

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah, Insomniac is a amazing team with probably the best output but I haven’t seen anything from them like Santa Monica or Naughty Dog does.

Combat was great, same as Ghost of Tsushima. Production and graphics, story telling was good too but both are gonna have to take it to the next level and maybe add something new and special to open world games

spider man aladdin GIF

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Forbidden West being an 88 is a travesty to gaming. In an ideal world, that would be a good score, but in a planet when we have Elden Ring with 97... Nah mate.

To be fair most of the dings score wise for FW was glitches, graphical issues that could have easily been taken care of if delayed a couple weeks. And I will say reviews are right that beginning part of the map takes too long to open up. But I still loved the shit out of that game.

Sony makes bangers, and sometimes you get games that could use that extra Santa Monica polish. Got to understand Gureilla is new to working in the same super high end space as SSM. They literally made the same game for like what felt like a decade. While SSM has made things from twisted metal, Fat princess, mark of kri, god of war, kinetica. They just have done more with Sony's tutelage, Gureilla's next game not the expansion DLC and MP they are making. But their full fledged nex big game will be in SSM territory in terms of polish.

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Honestly if they have Spider man 2, The Last of Us Factions, and Final Fantasy XVI next year with PSVR 2 releases they will be fine.
If Spider-Man 2 gets a delay having one of there Games as a Service release next year should be fine.
Also I imagine Street Fighter VI and Exoprimal will be heavily marketed on PlayStation

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
To be fair most of the dings score wise for FW was glitches, graphical issues that could have easily been taken care of if delayed a couple weeks. And I will say reviews are right that beginning part of the map takes too long to open up. But I still loved the shit out of that game.

Sony makes bangers, and sometimes you get games that could use that extra Santa Monica polish. Got to understand Gureilla is new to working in the same super high end space as SSM. They literally made the same game for like what felt like a decade. While SSM has made things from twisted metal, Fat princess, mark of kri, god of war, kinetica. They just have done more with Sony's tutelage, Gureilla's next game not the expansion DLC and MP they are making. But their full fledged nex big game will be in SSM territory in terms of polish.

We also have to take into account Horizon is a much bigger game than god of war. As far as open world games go the glitches/bugs of Horizon was minuscule, even compared to Elden Ring which to this day still runs like shit on most consoles.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
I don't really think they can compete anymore.
Maybe if they acquire Square-Enix and Capcom they might have a small chance. But right now it's not looking good for PlayStation's future.
That's the reason why Jim Ryan is slowly turning SIE/PlayStation into a 3rd party publisher, to take Activision-Blizzard's spot.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
A TV app to stream ps+++ games to keep pace with GP TV app, and Remote Play app so any TV screen can get your PS from around the house without moving console. For some reason I'm using an unofficial app but it's super washed out color wise.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Factions should be a category mindfuck:

1. Sony's Quality in GaaS (graphics).
2. No broken or incomplete.
3. MTXs on point.
4. Revolutionary way to integrate the narrative into the structure of GaaS.
I still don't get what 4. means. I'm assuming Division overworld launching into cinematic missions/MP lobbies.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Seems they got 2023 in the bag…

FF
SM
Wolverine (no doubt insomniac get it out in 23)
Lightfall
VR

2023 is already sorted for me.

P

peter42O

HFW for me was a 9.0/10. HZD was a 9.5/10 and my 2017 goty. HFW had a very slow opening and took too long to get into the open world, had that horrible shimmer effect when playing in a performance mode and for me personally, the combat/gameplay had issues. I could be 6-8 meters away with pinpoint accuracy on a machine part and still miss despite the fact that it should hit the component right off. The hit boxes/detection was simply off. Still an excellent game though but I do have Miles and Ratchet above it. And soon, GOWR will be above all three.

I don't really think they can compete anymore.
Maybe if they acquire Square-Enix and Capcom they might have a small chance. But right now it's not looking good for PlayStation's future.
That's the reason why Jim Ryan is slowly turning SIE/PlayStation into a 3rd party publisher, to take Activision-Blizzard's spot.

I'm an Xbox fan but come on, man. COD is a big brand/IP but Sony and PlayStation are massive brands. Sony will be just fine and even if they had problems, they could always sell/merge with Amazon, Apple, Google or Tencent which would give them the monetary investment that would be needed if/when this were to ever occur.

Sony has already started to pivot towards PC which will include all of their games day one, they're going into mobile because my goodness, it's a cash cow and arguably, have the best development studios in the industry with amazing games and IP's. And even if all else fails and before even needing to sell/merge, well, they have a subscription service and if they need to pivot by putting their games on PS Plus day one, that's another option available to them if/when needed.

So again, Sony will be good.

P

peter42O

Seems they got 2023 in the bag…

FF
SM
Wolverine (no doubt insomniac get it out in 23)
Lightfall
VR

2023 is already sorted for me.

No way Wolverine is releasing in 2023 and more importantly, no way Sony would release both Spider Man and Wolverine in the same year and even more so, since both games would be massive holiday sellers, no way Sony releases both in the same Fall/Holiday window. I see Spider Man 2 between September and November 2023 and Wolverine between September and November 2024.

• brain
Reactions: Papacheeks

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
No way Wolverine is releasing in 2023 and more importantly, no way Sony would release both Spider Man and Wolverine in the same year and even more so, since both games would be massive holiday sellers, no way Sony releases both in the same Fall/Holiday window. I see Spider Man 2 between September and November 2023 and Wolverine between September and November 2024.
You see how many consoles they trying to sell next year? No way wolverine misses 2023.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
You see how many consoles they trying to sell next year? No way wolverine misses 2023.

Lol insomniac isn’t releasing two full sized AAA games in the same year. I dont even think they started motion capture for wolverine yet

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yes, Wolverine will miss 2023. Insomniac will release Spider-Man 2 in 2023 instead.

Hopefully lol

Sony can miss every other release date. Spider-Man 2 not releasing next year would be very bad for 2023. Everything would fall on the shoulders of the big 3rd party games.

or vice versa, Spider-Man 2 could be the only first party title they end up releasing next year and it would probably be enough. The major tentpole release holding up the rest of SIE right now falls on SM2. Insomniac really has become the backbone of playstation studios. Where would they be without all their ps5 releases so far

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hopefully lol

Sony can miss every other release date. Spider-Man 2 not releasing next year would be very bad for 2023. Everything would fall on the shoulders of the big 3rd party games.

or vice versa, Spider-Man 2 could be the only first party title they end up releasing next year and it would probably be enough. The major tentpole release holding up the rest of SIE right now falls on SM2. Insomniac really has become the backbone of playstation studios. Where would they be without all their ps5 releases so far
Spider-Man was supposed to be released in 2022, most years released at least a game. I think if they didn't release Spider-Man 2 in 2022 was because of covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.