What would it take for y'all to be ok with PlayStation on PC?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
With that said to the detractors, what would make it fine for you because I'm getting a sense of contradiction in arguments.
Ports after 10 years for the sake of preservation is the only good way to do it 👍

On one hand you say "it's going to kill PlayStation", but in the same breathe I see many of you say "why are they even doing this, the sales are so low"...

Those two sets of logic run in complete opposition, especially seeing as the PS5 is basically in perfect step with the PS4 LTD.
Not at all, the PS5 should be doing MUCH better than the PS4. PS4 came off of Sony's worst generation ever and with a weak launch line up. PS5 came off of Sony's best gen and it's library for the first 3 years were much better than the PS4. Simply keeping up with the PS4 is a failure, especially with Xbox dying as fast as it is. PS5 should be at at least 70m now but it's barely doing better than the 7 year old Switch 😭 That means a lot of people who aren't getting PS5s are going elsewhere....They're going to PC, which is now Sony's biggest competitor. And Sony giving their biggest competitor all of their blockbuster games is idiotic. Especially when they've all been colossal flops and pirated day 1. There isn't just an expectation of ports now, there's also an expectation of day 1 cracks....

Also with there being about a 2 year lead time before ports are made, and well after a game has reached sunset, for a lack of better terminology; where's the fire?
The fire? The fire is you don't need a PS5 anymore....not needing an Xbox was a big reason why Xbox is on its way out now. Why would anyone get a PS5 Pro when 95% of Sony's catalog is on PC, which can already be more powerful than a PS5 Pro. And you won't be at the developers mercy to actually have your power utilized.

Saying "2 years is well after a game has reached sunset" is flawed logic. People don't usually just buy a console for 1 game, a lot of people wait a few years and see what the exclusive library looks like. If you missed out on a PS4 last gen and are just getting a PS5 now, imagine how much more enticing it'd be if you knew all these games were exclusive and enhanced on PS5. That would bring in a boat load more people to the console, but now all those games can be found on PC.

Not only that, these games are now being developed for PS5 and PC in tandem, and the quality is suffering for it. TLOU Part 1 remake "built from the ground up for PS5", looks noticeably worse than TLOU2, a PS4 game. And Spider-Man 2 had its own issues....When I played it, I noticed that it looked WORSE than Spider-Man Miles Morales and Spider-Man 2, and now I know why. Because it was simultaneously being developed for PC. Anyone that thinks it's not because of PC development is disingenuous! Even with Nixxes supposedly "doing all the port work", it's obvious the main studios themselves also do a lot of PC work as well since Spider-Man 2 literally has a fully playable unofficial PC port out now.... Also after HZD's botched PC port, Guerilla had to waste 6 months fixing it themselves, which caused HFW to be delayed into Elden Ring window and get overshadowed. And the game STILL released with a bunch of issues. That simultaneous PC/console development is probably why Xbox games take forever to come out and are lower quality.

I can go on, but PC has objectively been a net negative. Nothing good has come from it, the ports were supposed to provide "free extra revenue to fund more games🤓!!!" But all of them have flopped miserably, there've been studios shutdown, 900 people laid off, and 1st party output is the lowest it's ever been.
God of War Ragnarok in its first year has made more profit than every PC port combined from the last 5 years. All PC has done is ruin game development and hurt the brand, no one can give me a real arguments to any benefits.

All of this becomes 1000x dumber when you remember that the money was NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE MADE FROM 1ST PARTY. Profits from 1st party game sales are just a small cherry on top, they're supposed to be the pinnacle of video game art, the absolute peak of the medium, and they still are. The fact that these 200m+ games make a load of profit is amazing in of itself, but they still cry because Sony is run by incompetent lazy pricks. 1st party games exist to bring more people to the platform so that they then spend money on everything else, dlc, mtx, headset, controllers, ps plus, etc. Someone like you buying their games from Steam isn't going to generate anywhere close to the revenue of the average console owner....

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Gediminas

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
GaaS and mobile are where real expansion is, not porting AAA single player games to PC. I think the not so encouraging sales of single player ports and the huge success of Helldivers 2 on steam will let Sony rethink their future strategy. They will focus on day 1 GaaS/ multiplayer on PC (and probably other platforms) while keeping AAA single player exclusive to Playstation. The ports of single player games that are already on the work will still release on PC, but I don't think future titles will.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Mostly i don't care as long as the pc port isn't being codeveloped at the same time. PS5 should take priority and be the only focus during development, no gimping the game because you still want to sell to people with gtx 970s and rx480s

Realistically that means I feel like ports should be at least half a gen to a full gen behind

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
GaaS and mobile are where real expansion is, not porting AAA single player games to PC. I think the not so encouraging sales of single player ports and the huge success of Helldivers 2 on steam will let Sony rethink their future strategy. They will focus on day 1 GaaS/ multiplayer on PC (and probably other platforms) while keeping AAA single player exclusive to Playstation. The ports of single player games that are already on the work will still release on PC, but I don't think future titles will.
The problem is Sony pivot to GaaS already failed, but all along it was really easy to predict that the GaaS games would do much better on PC (it was probably a big reason why they tried it in first player).

Turns out that isn't so easy to change from being mostly specialized in developing AAA single player games to developing AAA GaaS. AAA GaaS is a fool's errand.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
All of this becomes 1000x dumber when you remember that the money was NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE MADE FROM 1ST PARTY. Profits from 1st party game sales are just a small cherry on top, they're supposed to be the pinnacle of video game art, the absolute peak of the medium, and they still are. The fact that these 200m+ games make a load of profit is amazing in of itself, but they still cry because Sony is run by incompetent lazy pricks. 1st party games exist to bring more people to the platform so that they then spend money on everything else, dlc, mtx, headset, controllers, ps plus, etc. Someone like you buying their games from Steam isn't going to generate anywhere close to the revenue of the average console owner....
PC guys always omit this part (which is also the most important point when talking about being a platform holder) when they talk about ports. It's like they forget why their dear Steam stopped making games a long time ago.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
PC guys always omit this part (which is also the most important point when talking about being a platform holder) when they talk about ports. It's like they forget why their dear Steam stopped making games a long time ago.
Lol right...the only new game Valve has made in the last decade was...to sell their hardware....and it's a game which they are keeping exclusive 🤷‍♂️

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
But this is one of the problems as I notated in my opening post. What's the actual argument against it because for the most part there seems to be only circular reasoning with no substantive problem.
Because those late single player ports keep selling worst each time and they're barely selling anywhere close or even half of the amount they sold on console. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart for example was a completely pointless port. Didnt even sell 500k on pc whilst selling 3 million plus on Ps5. Plus some studios are wasting time with pc ports like Naughty Dog did when Tlou1 remake came out on pc and they spend the next 4-5 months doing nothing but waste time fixing a broken mess that they didnt even need to release, even if it doesnt take many people to fix a port and release patches it still takes away some resources away from making new games for Ps5. Not to also mention they have to waste making sure their engines pc compatible now

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The problem is Sony pivot to GaaS already failed, but all along it was really easy to predict that the GaaS games would do much better on PC (it was probably a big reason why they tried it in first player).

Turns out that isn't so easy to change from being mostly specialized in developing AAA single player games to developing AAA GaaS. AAA GaaS is a fool's errand.
Funny how I don't think Sony actually predicted Helldivers 2 success. Bungie , Heaven and Fireworks feel huge pressure now. There is less reason for Sony to continue with of those that they already got the big hit they were hoping for.
Actually the closure of Deviation is probably due to Helldivers success.
Remember, the readon of Sony developing many GaaS is that they are hoping 1 or 2 will be hits. The rest of these projects will likely be shutdown.

• thinking_hard

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
- Denuvo on every single player game
- Official (as in publicly announced) 2 years window minimum for single player games to release on PC
- Games to be ported to PC by dedicated teams after being developed for PS5 first
- Free online on PS5
- No higher textures/effects on PC that go above what the PS5 has.

I would not be bothered by PC ports if they followed something like this.
I think I've finally figured out that your Denuvo schtick is projection for being a massive pirate.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Lol right...the only new game Valve has made in the last decade was...to sell their hardware....and it's a game which they are keeping exclusive 🤷‍♂️
Even though a PSVR2 port of Half life Alex will bring huge money, Valve isn't looking for few 10s of millions. They won't to add more value to their platform and hardware.

• brain

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think I've finally figured out that your Denuvo schtick is projection for being a massive pirate.
Makes no sense. You being mad at Denuvo because it stop piracy makes a lot more sense mate.

If they are going to bother with PC (likely what they'll do anyway) at leas single player games doing well because of denuvo would help.

What we have right now are single player PlayStation PC games massively flopping either because of piracy or because PC player only care about GaaS, a terrible influence in tje direction they'll be going anyway.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Even though a PSVR2 port of Half life Alex will bring huge money, Valve isn't looking for few 10s of millions. They won't to add more value to their platform and hardware.
Valve gets everything PlayStation gets nothing.

Great long term thinking. The definitive version of every single PS5 game will be on PC as we go forward as well.

OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Because those late single player ports keep selling worst each time and they're barely selling anywhere close or even half of the amount they sold on console. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart for example was a completely pointless port. Didnt even sell 500k on pc whilst selling 3 million plus on Ps5. Plus some studios are wasting time with pc ports like Naughty Dog did when Tlou1 remake came out on pc and they spend the next 4-5 months doing nothing but waste time fixing a broken mess that they didnt even need to release, even if it doesnt take many people to fix a port and release patches it still takes away some resources away from making new games for Ps5. Not to also mention they have to waste making sure their engines pc compatible now
Did it ever cross anyone's minds that their release strategy was terrible? I mean I get not wanting to cannibalize their own user base, but at the same time if you give people scraps they will view and treat them as such.

A two year old game isn't exciting for anyone. Sure some of us will still buy it but not being included in the hype, charging near full price and possibly having games spoiled in a two year window kills interest.

It's the same reason games exclusive to EGS fail even when they hit Steam, you missed the window and the audience at launch.

Microsoft for all of their ailments got the PC thing locked down, success after success. Their games move units and that largely has to do with their availability at launch.

These ports are still worth it for Sony even if they don't sell gangbusters, but they are leaving millions of unsold units on the table by not launching simultaneously.

They're not going to stop, but eventually they will realize they are doing more harm to themselves long term by not adapting to the rest of the market.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's not PC gamers. Hiroki Totoki, CEO of Sony said "in the past, the main purpose of the first party was to popularize the console". Now the strategy at Playstation is to "grow the first party with multiplatform".

Of course I would like to see more games from Valve since they've made some of the best games of all time. Id say portal 2 has a case for best game of all time. But what theyre doing with Steam is uniquely important. Lots of game companies make incredible games. Only one company makes the best storefront and general platform for gaming in the world.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Microsoft for all of their ailments got the PC thing locked down, success after success. Their games move units and that largely has to do with their availability at launch.
Lol the fact that you have to bring up Microsoft imaginary "success" shows how stupid putting games on PC is and shows you have an agenda. Xbox is too ashamed to ever say how much their games have sold, because they all flop, PC isn't a viable market for 95% of AAA games. Never has been and never will be.

Xbox fanboys always expose themselves😂

These ports are still worth it for Sony even if they don't sell gangbusters, but they are leaving millions of unsold units on the table by not launching simultaneously.
How are they worth it? They can barely do 1/10th the sales they do on consoles in the same amount of time, magically putting them there day 1 isn't going to change that. It'll only make development worse and result in worse products in the end. Stop lying to yourself, you just want to see the death of PlayStation

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's not PC gamers. Hiroki Totoki, CEO of Sony said "in the past, the main purpose of the first party was to popularize the console". Now the strategy at Playstation is to "grow the first party with multiplatform".

Of course I would like to see more games from Valve since they've made some of the best games of all time. Id say portal 2 has a case for best game of all time. But what theyre doing with Steam is uniquely important. Lots of game companies make incredible games. Only one company makes the best storefront and general platform for gaming in the world.

Valve is doing something more important for gaming than releasing few little single player games (besides, Sony would love to have games as big as CS2 and DOTA2) Valve will make me ditch windows once there is no more support for W10 in late 2025.

The bastards are actually making Linux a decent place to play videogames.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake