What would it take for y'all to be ok with PlayStation on PC?

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Valve is doing something more important for gaming than releasing few little single player games (besides, Sony would love to have games as big as CS2 and DOTA2) Valve will make me ditch windows once there is no more support for W10 in late 2025.

The bastards are actually making Linux a decent place to play videogames.
Killing Windows is important; I'll grant you that.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I was always fine with it.

The late port strategy mitigates the risk of rampant piracy to actually try to sell and succeed in console. I think their strategy is ā€¦ 100% on point.

And these releases are so far after initial launch that anything sold is easy money. Those that do well enough on console should be ported. The biggest and best and less so obscure releases that didnā€™t do well on console either.

I also do not see pc as a competitor. Never have in 30 years and Sony should everything they can to strengthen their games and brand globally in markets where pcs are most gamers primary device. Consoles replaced cable tv boxes. Not everyone wants to be a hunchback gamer in front of a 14ā€ monitor struggling to run unoptimized half assed software.

I would prefer if multiplayer games were NOT day one on pc. This is only to iron out launch woes. I would prefer if pc ports for multiplayer games were released within a 3 to 6 month window after console launch. Issues with Helldivers on ps5 being worse than they were on steam shouldnā€™t have been.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
24 Jun 2022
I never called it a console I said and I quote "it's basically indiscernable from a console" in relation to the competency of its engineering and function.

Which can carry a connotation where, among other things, you are effectively saying it's like a console.

Valve is doing something more important for gaming than releasing few little single player games (besides, Sony would love to have games as big as CS2 and DOTA2) Valve will make me ditch windows once there is no more support for W10 in late 2025.

The bastards are actually making Linux a decent place to play videogames.

Steam fanboys are even more delusional than Xbox fanboys. The OS with less than 2% market share is going to somehow dethrone Windows for gaming.

...when the only reason Linux is more acceptable for modern gaming is a Windows emulator/compatibility layer called WINE. Meaning those PC games still have to use Windows APIs šŸ¤£.

Gabe's cult is something else.

24 Jun 2022
Well it basically is, obviously it's still a PC but the function of it mimics that of a console incredibly well.

That's why the other more powerful knockoffs are failing, the experience with Windows in that format is terrible.

That's something Microsoft are wanting to improve and if they're successful, that's going to make Windows equivalent devices pose a huge competitive challenge to the Steam Deck. It's probably a matter of when that improvement comes, not if, and Valve may know that as well.

So there could be a future where successor Steam Deck and equivalent systems offer both Linux and Windows distros.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
It's not PC gamers. Hiroki Totoki, CEO of Sony said "in the past, the main purpose of the first party was to popularize the console". Now the strategy at Playstation is to "grow the first party with multiplatform".

Of course I would like to see more games from Valve since they've made some of the best games of all time. Id say portal 2 has a case for best game of all time. But what theyre doing with Steam is uniquely important. Lots of game companies make incredible games. Only one company makes the best storefront and general platform for gaming in the world.
Are you dumb or something? I was talking about how Valve stopped making games because managing a storefront brings in much more money.

• Surprised

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
None of their games have failed on PC as far as I'm aware and their console seems to be doing about as well as it did the previous generation so that's a big oof on your part.

Oh you're one of those people lmao. I mention Microsoft as a direct counter example AS IT'S THE ONLY ONE and your fanatical insecurity rears its head.

Grow up.
ā€œNone of their games have failed on PCā€ šŸ¤” Thanks for exposing yourself again

GCh525xW4AAF9Dz

GCh525rWUAE5fuP

GCh5251WEAAQpLp

image.png

image.png

OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
ā€œNone of their games have failed on PCā€ šŸ¤” Thanks for exposing yourself again

GCh525xW4AAF9Dz

GCh525rWUAE5fuP

GCh5251WEAAQpLp

image.png

image.png
Totally disingenuous argument and has nothing to do with the platform not accepting said games.

As a side note to that several of those have sold millions upon millions and even if Overwatch 2 isn't as good as 1 it still has millions of players.

Yikes, that was a bad attempt.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Totally disingenuous argument and has nothing to do with the platform not accepting said games.

As a side note to that several of those have sold millions upon millions and even if Overwatch 2 isn't as good as 1 it still has millions of players.

Yikes, that was a bad attempt.
none of those have sold even 1 million šŸ¤£ damn you really are an Xbox fanboy

and their console seems to be doing about as well as it did the previous generation so that's a big oof on your part.
And you really said this bs with a straight face? Man Xbox fanboys get dumber and dumber every day. And you're the Xbox fanboy that's now larping as a "PC gamer", the worst type of Xbox fanboy

• thinking_hard
OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
none of those have sold even 1 million šŸ¤£ damn you really are an Xbox fanboy

And you really said this bs with a straight face? Man Xbox fanboys get dumber and dumber every day. And you're the Xbox fanboy that's now larping as a "PC gamer", the worst type of Xbox fanboy
Modern Warfare 3 and Starfield haven't sold a million? That is a pretty insane hot take.

Stop trying to gaslight people, it's boring.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Modern Warfare 3 and Starfield haven't sold a million? That is a pretty insane hot take.
Most of MW3 sales are on PS5, I doubt it sold 1m on PC. Starfield maybe did 1m but for a Bethesda game, thats a complete flop

toucandela

24 Sep 2022
mishmash.games
Saying "2 years is well after a game has reached sunset" is flawed logic. People don't usually just buy a console for 1 game, a lot of people wait a few years and see what the exclusive library looks like. If you missed out on a PS4 last gen and are just getting a PS5 now, imagine how much more enticing it'd be if you knew all these games were exclusive and enhanced on PS5. That would bring in a boat load more people to the console, but now all those games can be found on PC.
This.

I still don't have a PS5. Am currently keeping an eye out for a slim or pro model and exclusives will be important. I bought previous Playstations for exclusives like Tekken, God of War, Gran Turismo, Resistance, Shadow of the Colossus.

For me it's a question of convenience, price, and exclusives. If the exclusives aren't there then I will consider spending a bit more for a gaming PC and the extra cost will benefit from Windows having the largest games library. Then all that Playstation has going for it is a more convenient OS and form factor. That is still important to me but the exclusives would be far more persuasive.

I think if a game is on the current console there should be no port. Even for older games remasters could be better than ports (I've bought some). Sony will be better off if it keeps it's IPs close. Same as Nintendo does and they are doing great without all the hoo-har over performance and graphics, probably because they have those exclusive franchises.

If GAAS games aren't viable on Playstation then sure make a multiplat game, but not at the expense of lowering the number of overall exclusives. Make single player games in that franchise PS only. At least then the multiplat game works to draw people in.

Maybe I'm simple. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This.

I still don't have a PS5. Am currently keeping an eye out for a slim or pro model and exclusives will be important. I bought previous Playstations for exclusives like Tekken, God of War, Gran Turismo, Resistance, Shadow of the Colossus.

For me it's a question of convenience, price, and exclusives. If the exclusives aren't there then I will consider spending a bit more for a gaming PC and the extra cost will benefit from Windows having the largest games library. Then all that Playstation has going for it is a more convenient OS and form factor. That is still important to me but the exclusives would be far more persuasive.

I think if a game is on the current console there should be no port. Even for older games remasters could be better than ports (I've bought some). Sony will be better off if it keeps it's IPs close. Same as Nintendo does and they are doing great without all the hoo-har over performance and graphics, probably because they have those exclusive franchises.

If GAAS games aren't viable on Playstation then sure make a multiplat game, but not at the expense of lowering the number of overall exclusives. Make single player games in that franchise PS only. At least then the multiplat game works to draw people in.

What you're saying isn't simple. You're overcomplicating it. You said you would prefer to game on a powerful PC "with the largest library". So it's better for you what you actually want if there are no exclusives / all games come to PC. You mention "convenience" and "form factor", but even these are wins for PC if you go with mini-ITX and SteamOS (via Bazzite).

So why are you making up reasons why you shouldn't have what you want?

OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
What you're saying isn't simple. You're overcomplicating it. You said you would prefer to game on a powerful PC "with the largest library". So it's better for you what you actually want if there are no exclusives / all games come to PC. You mention "convenience" and "form factor", but even these are wins for PC if you go with mini-ITX and SteamOS (via Bazzite).

So why are you making up reasons why you shouldn't have what you want?
The only thing I can make sense of is loyalty, because otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think what many people don't understand is that PlayStation HAS to grow, it HAS to expand or it will die. Wages being paid are the highest they have ever been, development costs are the highest they have ever been and there is no growth within the console platform.

Without expansion, without retention of new customers you're moving backwards. Even breaking even is going backwards now.

Sony isn't doing this because they want to, they are doing it because they have to.

Nintendo is also a bad comparative as with the simplicity of their games and shorter development time the cost to make games is low and the margins are massive.

Sony doesn't have that luxury.

Last edited:
  • brain

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The only thing I can make sense of is loyalty, because otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think what many people don't understand is that PlayStation HAS to grow, it HAS to expand or it will die. Wages being paid are the highest they have ever been, development costs are the highest they have ever been and there is no growth within the console platform.

Without expansion, without retention of new customers you're moving backwards. Even breaking even is going backwards now.

Sony isn't doing this because they want to, they are doing it because they have to.

Nintendo is also a bad comparative as with the simplicity of their games and shorter development time the cost to make games is low and the margins are massive.

Sony doesn't have that luxury.
oh yeah, usual doom and gloom predictions.

just be honest, you want to playstation to die. i have seen nothing but taking jabs at Playstation from the start.

yeah, magical death. they are raking biggest revenue and profits, but of course, they about to die, because reasons..

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

just be honest, you want to playstation to die. i have seen nothing but taking jabs at Playstation from the start.

yeah, magical death. they are raking biggest revenue and profits, but of course, they about to die, because reasons..
To be honest, he kind of does have a point. The problem with his argument is that Sony DOESN'T have to grow, management WANTS it to grow. Problem is, there's no such thing as infinite growth. At some point things just level out and you can;t grow more.

Also, selling 1 million copies of your biggest games on PC won't make the brand grow. Mobile is the way to go.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This.

Exactly, exclusives have always been the biggest deal, only PC and Xbox douchebags try to paint a picture otherwise because it fits their agenda.

yep he's the typical Xbox fanboy, he wants everything that killed Xbox to now kill PlayStation

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
To be honest, he kind of does have a point. The problem with his argument is that Sony DOESN'T have to grow, management WANTS it to grow. Problem is, there's no such thing as infinite growth. At some point things just level out and you can;t grow more.

Also, selling 1 million copies of your biggest games on PC won't make the brand grow. Mobile is the way to go.
They started out testing mobile stuff from PS3 era and then gave up. Mobile + PS5 was the def the way to expand.

Throw a watered down first party only version PS+ on PC like they did with PS Now and let them buy into your ecosystem if you are so desperate for those cheap folks money.