When Xbox consoles stop being made, how high will PlayStation sales go?

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Like I said before, I have 0 reason to buy an Xbox and thats the current reality for the vast majority of gamers.
BUT (and I'm playing devil's advocate) i'll return to the ps3 as an example, it was selling at a loss for its entire lifespam and sony still threw money at it and made it the biggest comeback in gaming history. by the end of its life ps3 was only outsold that gen by the wii (which was bought by every granny in the world)
i'm not saying that WILL happen, what i'm saying is that even if its failing there is still interest for MS in seling consoles.
Ps3 sold at a loss until the slim, in 2009.
This is why the hack in 2011 was a big deal, cause a lot of people moved to it since then.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Not till the end of the generation anyway.

If the next Xbox is a hybrid streaming device, I would consider that an end to their real consoles.
I think they will go a different route next gen but I don't see them ever fully leaving hardware out of their plan because of the massive ecosystem they've been built. They'll probably gives Diehards an option to still have a digital / stream box / portal-esque

They will Definitely ride out this generation as they still have millions of sales left in the tank. Quitting would completely destroy the brand

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
To be honest I dont think they will drop console spaces at all. Xbox doesnt need to be profitable, MS has a fuckton of money and can just throw it at a failing product like the current gen consoles solely to stay relevant. When next gen comes, hell maybe even after the mid gen updates them making a comeback, like the ps3 did, is entirely possible.
Did you somehow NOT see from all the leaks that Microsoft is done with Xbox losing money? They were given a drop dead date three years ago and never got any closer to the goal set to keep the division alive than they were at that point.

What is it with so many gamers online thinking that Xbox will be allowed to lose billions upon billions forever with vastly diminishing returns every generation?

The only way for MS to make money off of console gaming is to leave the hardware side of it, as they have never managed even a cent of profit from hardware.

Reactions: balrogboy

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Something that came to mind is that their future machines could just be PC and Console hybrids, a machine that's just "hey this is meant to be a console but you can use it to talk to your nan on facebook."
Dont know how they would do it or if its even possible to have something like that without it being jailbroken in a week. But its an idea that might make the machine more appealing to the masses.

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Did you somehow NOT see from all the leaks that Microsoft is done with Xbox losing money? They were given a drop dead date three years ago and never got any closer to the goal set to keep the division alive than they were at that point.
I actually did not, wife is pregnant and I havent been keeping up with things as much as before.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sales should improve but you never know with Sony. They could easily read it as the console market being in decline or simply become way too comfortable and pivot even more towards PC.

Ideally once Xbox is out Valve will make more aggressive moves towards the console market and we would finally get some real competition (if not Valve than maybe Nintendo showing up with a more powerful console than everyone expects).

Sony in the last few years have not been aggressive enough, they could have left MS with no choice other than giving up on this market if they had kept putting up the same pressure that they did in the first half of the PS5. During all of this Xbox has benefited from controlling the narrative, having the media on their side and being more open to showing things in advance.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Something that came to mind is that their future machines could just be PC and Console hybrids, a machine that's just "hey this is meant to be a console but you can use it to talk to your nan on facebook."
Dont know how they would do it or if its even possible to have something like that without it being jailbroken in a week. But its an idea that might make the machine more appealing to the masses.
Why bother even making that when they can just keep publishing their games on Windows and leave the low-to-zero margin hardware side of shit to other companies that know how to do it?

Seriously, give one solid, realistic, business-based reason to do it, aside from keeping a brand that has become a complete joke alive.

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why bother even making that when they can just jeep publishing their games on Windows and leave the low-to-zero margin hardware side of shit to other companies that know how to do it?

Seriously, give one solid, realistic, business-based reason to do it, aside from keeping a brand that has become a complete joke alive.
I dont know, why did valve do Steam Machines?

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I actually did not, wife is pregnant and I havent been keeping up with things as much as before.
Ah. Then you’ve got a valid reason! I hope that’s all going well!

Basically, Phil was told by Satya Nadella that they need to be at 100 million Game Pass subscribers by 2027 or it’s lights out for Xbox. They’ve never even gotten to 30 million, which is likely part of the impetus for the massive fire sales before Christmas that accomplished nothing.

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ah. Then you’ve got a valid reason! I hope that’s all going well!

Basically, Phil was told by Satya Nadella that they need to be at 100 million Game Pass subscribers by 2027 or it’s lights out for Xbox. They’ve never even gotten to 30 million, which is likely part of the impetus for the massive fire sales before Christmas that accomplished nothing.
Thank you, its mostly peachy but it is a high risk pregnancy because of her medical history.

Still some time to go. The next call of duty will help increasing that number, but I dont think there's even a modecum of chance that they'll reach 100 million subs.

• Heart
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
You mean a laptop with windows on it? MS should have never targeted Sony since they make hardware for a living. The switch is a crappy tablet and still beating the ps4. Switch 4 is rumored to be like a ps4 and people are hyped about that. People know if you want amazing looking games you go to Sony and fun games you go to Nintendo. Xbox offers bare minimal both. jack of all trades, master of none.

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You mean a laptop with windows on it? MS should have never targeted Sony since they make hardware for a living. The switch is a crappy tablet and still beating the ps4. Switch 4 is rumored to be like a ps4 and people are hyped about that. People know if you want amazing looking games you go to Sony and fun games you go to Nintendo. Xbox offers bare minimal both. jack of all trades, master of none.
The switch is a wife machine, as in literally I bought one to keep my wife busy whenever I'm playing real games on the ps5.
Xbox needs to get their shit together, I agree wholeheartedly with what you said.

• haha
Reactions: Jim Ryan

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Thank you, its mostly peachy but it is a high risk pregnancy because of her medical history.

Still some time to go. The next call of duty will help increasing that number, but I dont think there's even a modecum of chance that they'll reach 100 million subs.
They’re apparently back below 25 million, so that’s a very likely scenario.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
The switch is a wife machine, as in literally I bought one to keep my wife busy whenever I'm playing real games on the ps5.
Xbox needs to get their shit together, I agree wholeheartedly with what you said.
Darn, guess i am the wife in my marriage cause mine won't stop playing on the ps5 and i have to play on the switch.

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Darn, guess i am the wife in my marriage cause mine won't stop playing on the ps5 and i have to play on the switch.
To be fair I play a lot of it too, my sister has the family online plan and I'm really enjoying playing nintendo's old stuff.
Still think their best console was the wii tho, re4 and metroid prime were so good with the motion controls.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
To be fair I play a lot of it too, my sister has the family online plan and I'm really enjoying playing nintendo's old stuff.
Still think their best console was the wii tho, re4 and metroid prime were so good with the motion controls.
We still have a wii and my wife and daughters play just dance on it cause it still comes out on it lol. I just sit on the couch playing Bioshock on the switch and make of them.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
They will go poorly.

Consoles and the gaming industry as a whole, are undergoing a contraction of popularity and sales, losing out to the new dopamine-generator; tiktok.

If Xbox bows out, it makes console gaming look less popular and a dying medium that looks unappealing to newcomers.

Seems as newcomers have fueled the financial fires of the industry for decades, a lack of new wallets to pray upon will detrimental to the industry, but good for gamers who want; no politics, no social trends, no mtx and no gatcha-gambling-gauging.