When Xbox consoles stop being made, how high will PlayStation sales go?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They will go poorly.

Consoles and the gaming industry as a whole, are undergoing a contraction of popularity and sales, losing out to the new dopamine-generator; tiktok.

If Xbox bows out, it makes console gaming look less popular and a dying medium that looks unappealing to newcomers.

Seems as newcomers have fueled the financial fires of the industry for decades, a lack of new wallets to pray upon will detrimental to the industry, but good for gamers who want; no politics, no social trends, no mtx and no gatcha-gambling-gauging.
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Sales should improve but you never know with Sony. They could easily read it as the console market being in decline or simply become way too comfortable and pivot even more towards PC.

Ideally once Xbox is out Valve will make more aggressive moves towards the console market and we would finally get some real competition (if not Valve than maybe Nintendo showing up with a more powerful console than everyone expects).

Sony in the last few years have not been aggressive enough, they could have left MS with no choice other than giving up on this market if they had kept putting up the same pressure that they did in the first half of the PS5. During all of this Xbox has benefited from controlling the narrative, having the media on their side and being more open to showing thing in advance.
Benefitted their way into worse sales than the Xbox One.

Your Sony Doomer shit is so hilariously wrong-headed that it’s beginning to make you look really bad.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Benefitted their way into worse sales than the Xbox One.

Your Sony Doomer shit is so hilariously wrong-headed that it’s beginning to make you look really bad.
Just because it's doing poorly doesn't mean it couldn't be doing even worse if Sony was on top of their game like they were during 2009~2019.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They will go poorly.

Consoles and the gaming industry as a whole, are undergoing a contraction of popularity and sales, losing out to the new dopamine-generator; tiktok.

If Xbox bows out, it makes console gaming look less popular and a dying medium that looks unappealing to newcomers.

Seems as newcomers have fueled the financial fires of the industry for decades, a lack of new wallets to pray upon will detrimental to the industry, but good for gamers who want; no politics, no social trends, no mtx and no gatcha-gambling-gauging.
That has got to be the dumbest, wrongest and most absurd take I have EVER seen.

Xbox has flopped harder than any console has ever been allowed to do without being discontinued and driving its manufacturer out of consoles, and that hasn’t harmed Sony and Nintendo one tiny little iota.

I know you’re a PC fanboy, but goddamn, you have no grasp on reality if you believe a word of the drivel you typed there.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
There will probably be three main kinds of Xbox refugees:
  1. Casual (Game Pass) players - Will continue on for the lifespan of Series S or potentially upgrade to X if it's the "final" Xbox. Will not transition into PlayStation environment, will look to other avenues (e.g. Streaming) of GP content on whichever device gives them base experience for little cost.
  2. Hardcore Users/Fans - Will likely transition on to the PC platform, transition their console war approach into a Steam v Xbox store approach like the Epic v Steam mentality, will keep pushing GP/Xbox-published products as "superior" to other options. May and likely will begin to downplay consoles as a whole ("plastic box" rhetoric as an example).
  3. Normal Console Gamers - They use an Xbox because they like the holistic console platform, using a controller, playing on a couch. Attachment to Xbox more marginal (e.g. friends play on it, a few exclusives they like) and will likely transition to PlayStation at a slower rate of adoption as long as Xbox continues to provide needs in medium term (likely to end of this generation, and slightly beyond).
Considering that a large number of current gen Xbox owners are on Series S, I would imagine maybe 25% of Xbox audience migrates to PlayStation towards tail end of this generation/start of next. Casuals (surely >50% of userbase) won't care and will respond to market conditions to whatever is accessible and cheap.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Just because it's doing poorly doesn't mean it couldn't be doing ever worse if Sony was on top of their game like they were during 2009~2019.
If it was doing any worse they’d be posting negative sales.

They didn’t even sell as well as Dreamcast did in its final holiday season in 2022, and 2023 was even worse in spite of massive fire sales on the hardware.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
At most Playstation could do 150 million, same with Nintendo.

I think that's the peak of console gaming, we haven't really grown much beyond that and even Steam doesn't really have that many users.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I think they will go a different route next gen but I don't see them ever fully leaving hardware out of their plan because of the massive ecosystem they've been built. They'll probably gives Diehards an option to still have a digital / stream box / portal-esque

They will Definitely ride out this generation as they still have millions of sales left in the tank. Quitting would completely destroy the brand
They will transition their sales to a console that has 2x the userbase. They will make more sales, even with a 30% cut to Sony, then they would continuing as they are. The brand becomes a publisher and a content catalogue, which is what the GP push has been all about.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
At most Playstation could do 150 million, same with Nintendo.

I think that's the peak of console gaming, we haven't really grown much beyond that and even Steam doesn't really have that many users.
150m would be huge for PlayStation, back to PS2 numbers.

The Xbox One should've been MS's last console, the Series was a big waste of time and limited the availability of PS5 in the earlier years. The Series S just made it extra unfortunate by setting a extremely low baseline for nextgen.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
They will go poorly.

Are you trying out ChatGPT for the first time?

• fire
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I think PS & Nintendo could see an extra 15 to 50 million extra console sales leaning towards the lower end. I think PS will look at Nintendo & PC as there new competitors while still keeping an eye on MS if cloud ever becomes a threat. To compete w Nintendo & PC PS next console (PS6) will be a handheld hybrid leaning towards mobility & accessibility to compete w Nintendo. They’ll also buy multiple publisher to gain bigger scale to compete w Xbox in production, subscription & first party output

Reactions: Bryank75

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They will transition their sales to a console that has 2x the userbase. They will make more sales, even with a 30% cut to Sony, then they would continuing as they are. The brand becomes a publisher and a content catalogue, which is what the GP push has been all about.
Well them eventually supporting their rivals is inevitable. It started from last decade and will escalate by the end of this year if sales continue to flounder. I still don't see them completely abandoning Hardware

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
They will go poorly.

Some people should just read the threads, never reply and save us from having to read such a shitty takes like this one.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
There will probably be three main kinds of Xbox refugees:
  1. Casual (Game Pass) players - Will continue on for the lifespan of Series S or potentially upgrade to X if it's the "final" Xbox. Will not transition into PlayStation environment, will look to other avenues (e.g. Streaming) of GP content on whichever device gives them base experience for little cost.
  2. Hardcore Users/Fans - Will likely transition on to the PC platform, transition their console war approach into a Steam v Xbox store approach like the Epic v Steam mentality, will keep pushing GP/Xbox-published products as "superior" to other options. May and likely will begin to downplay consoles as a whole ("plastic box" rhetoric as an example).
  3. Normal Console Gamers - They use an Xbox because they like the holistic console platform, using a controller, playing on a couch. Attachment to Xbox more marginal (e.g. friends play on it, a few exclusives they like) and will likely transition to PlayStation at a slower rate of adoption as long as Xbox continues to provide needs in medium term (likely to end of this generation, and slightly beyond).
Considering that a large number of current gen Xbox owners are on Series S, I would imagine maybe 25% of Xbox audience migrates to PlayStation towards tail end of this generation/start of next. Casuals (surely >50% of userbase) won't care and will respond to market conditions to whatever is accessible and cheap.

This seems very likely and a very sensible appraisal of the situation to me.