Will Sony's PC Push Hurt their Console Business in the Mid to Longterm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
You’re not a rare case. The ease of console gaming is well appreciated. I had a gaming pc on ps3 days but ended up playing more on the ps3 even with the lower resolution and framerate. Pc are for those that most of all love tinkering with the settings. Consoles are for those that simply want to play. One is not inherently better than the other and this is core point that pc gamers can’t grasp. They feel entitled and want to feel validated because they spent more, it’s why they’re such douchebags all the time.
Well what is better is a relative term. Consoles are better at simplicity and ease of use, but outside of that there's really no benefit. I mean for all intents and purposes they're just garden walled mid range PC's.

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
6luid8.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
It shouldnt be irrelevant since the sales numbers say where the majority of the playerbase. More people on Playstation will buy the game at full price than anyone on pc. So yes they should be top priority since without those sales from Playstation there wouldnt be sequels to those games. You think selling 900k or 800k most of that not even at full price would be enough to fund a sequel?
Here is the problem, Sony who is a historically confident company appear timid in the way they're handling this PC push. They don't seem confident as of yet and it's easy for people to read.

The other issue is as I stated, they're not striking while the iron is hot which is a big mistake. When these games release on PC that whole wave of hype surrounding a brand new game is gone. It doesn't matter that it's releasing for this platform for the first time, it's still an old game.

When people are not attached to that initial hype chances are higher than not that they will not become your customer. Their unit sales on PC are okay but they could be dramatically better if they treated that community with the same level of respect as their console community.

They have good games, there's just no real excitement for them on PC because that group of people was never brought along for the ride. When you're treated like a second class citizen you purchase as one.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
You’re not a rare case. The ease of console gaming is well appreciated. I had a gaming pc on ps3 days but ended up playing more on the ps3 even with the lower resolution and framerate. Pc are for those that most of all love tinkering with the settings. Consoles are for those that simply want to play. One is not inherently better than the other and this is core point that pc gamers can’t grasp. They feel entitled and want to feel validated because they spent more, it’s why they’re such douchebags all the time.
Thanks!
The way we can have this conversation here nicely is complete opposite to shitstorm in the other place. Oh man they will come here one day but thankfully now @Bryank75 is in charge haha!

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Well what is better is a relative term. Consoles are better at simplicity and ease of use, but outside of that there's really no benefit. I mean for all intents and purposes they're just garden walled mid range PC's.
And that’s ok.
Limited curated hardware for limited gaming use. Perfect. I don’t like distractions and that includes too many settings and so on.
I am ok with tiny bit worse graphics. It’s hardly even a case anymore.

• brain
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
And that’s ok.
Limited curated hardware for limited gaming use. Perfect. I don’t like distractions and that includes too many settings and so on.
I am ok with tiny bit worse graphics. It’s hardly even a case anymore.

For sure... I see each gaming company cornering their speciality.

PC as custom hardware/open platform, Xbox as services, PlayStation as the main standardized home console and Nintendo as the hybrid / dedicated mobile gaming option.

They should optimize their businesses based on that IMO and offer the best they can focused on those specialties.

Reactions: rofif

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What Sony is doing inside it's own bubble, building it's teams or organically buying those that they've worked with is fine, in theory. But not everyone is Insomniac with multiple full games turned out, each with good reviews. We keep hearing about this project going between teams, this sequel not getting greenlit, shuttering of this studio, this delay, that delay. And I think what we do know has been from leaks/investigative reporting, right?
All companies delayed multiple games, it's common in the industry specially during covid lockdowns. But even during covid Sony got a good amount of great exclusives with very good reviews every year. Most of the "leaks" are fake news. Now that you mention, an example is "this sequel not getting greenlit": Days Gone 2 wasn't greenlight because Bend never sent a Days Gone 2 pitch to Sony. The pitch that Bend sent to Sony was a new IP and Sony greenlighted it. The one who didn't want to make Days Gone 2 wasn't the PS Studios or SIE people who greenlight projects or set the strategy, it was the studio manager of Bend. The boss of the studio, who works inside Bend.

Same goes with "shuttering studios". Sony didn't shut down Japan Studio: they restructured it changing its management, downsizing it, merging their internal dev teas into one of them (Team Asobi) and -as they did before in NA and EU- move its 2nd party publishing part to become a standalone studio who doesn't report to a local internal development team but instead is part of the global XDEV team but after the restructuring, like Team Asobi they continue doing the same job: they published Death Stranding Director's Cut after being separated from Japan Studio/Team Asobi. After the restructuring both teams are growing.

Besides that, lets get some aqqusitions going to protect what you had in terms of brand identity. I don't want another Ready At Dawn situation where their game IPs/talent are just... not working on Sony stuff anymore because someone owns them.
They don't seem to have any issue with their brand. It's one of the most popular ones in the world, I'd bet it's better than ever and it's above the other two console makers:
image.png

With BC it's a weird thing for me. I'm happy they're doing something (but what have they actually added instead just of smushing PS+ and PSNow together that's actually relevant to most people?) Any praise they deserve for getting it done, well, it's muted because they could have done it mid PS4 gen when they started PS1/PS2 Classics, or wrapped Parappa PSP up in emulation wrapper so it'd run on PS4, or gave other games from Vita like TearAway Unfolded a tweaked version for console. I'm happy, but they could do more. And it sounds like they're literally just now starting to be serious about it, maybe.
Not only emulated, Sony has a ton of remastered, crossgen or remade games. They started the new PS Plus with around 800 games and most of them weren't in PS Plus or PS Now, had a lot of work signing deals. With the new PS Plus came the BC crossbuy digital PS1 and PSP games. They are hiring to improve the emulators and make new emulators. And they said that the new PS Plus will be updated every month with new games, and pretty likely some of them will be from retro platforms because we saw unannounced PS1 and PSP stuff like Syphon Filter sequels and Ridge Racer 2.

Patents like the former PS Accessories one are unknown. Great if it happens, but I'm still waiting for my removeable screen controller, and vr finger tracking gloves, ya know?
PSVR2 will track fingers without needing gloves.

I'm glad that they don't seem to be planning single player PC ports on Day 1 until at least April 2026, essentially the PS5 gen as you say. That wouldn't be smart at all. Sony really make a rod for their own back on messaging, like with PowerPoint slides stating 'also on PC' and them having to walk it back after backlash. But some games like TLOU Factions will still be PS5 + others Day 1 (probably PC and PS4 cross-gen for TLOU:F) as it's multiplayer/online-focused, right?
No, games like TLOU Factions won't be day one on PC. Let's be clear: PS STUDIOS HAS NO PLANS OF RELEASING NEW GAMES ON PC DAY ONE. OF ANY KIND.

It's shown in the graph, PS Studios has a total of ZERO games of ANY TYPE planned to be released on PS5+PC day one for both the current fiscal year and the one that ends in April 2026.

Bungie published games are the only ones planned to be released on PC (and in rival consoles) day one. Not the PS Studios games.

• brain
Reactions: ksdixon

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
And that’s fine for most people that just want to play. 🤷🏻‍♂️

D

Deleted member 13

It's true that some PC gamers are douchebags because they feel entitled. However, I think there are douchebags from every camp. The same pride in hardware from the PC gamers are exhibited in the other camps as well.

I think it's OK for people to pride themselves in the hardware of their choice. It's nothing wrong with passionate people coming together to argue points for their hardware of choice to others that have different hardware.

• brain

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It's true that some PC gamers are douchebags because they feel entitled. However, I think there are douchebags from every camp. The same pride in hardware from the PC gamers are exhibited in the other camps as well.

I think it's OK for people to pride themselves in the hardware of their choice. It's nothing wrong with passionate people coming together to argue points for their hardware of choice to others that have different hardware.
I am more console leaning recently but I am a pc enthusiast... at least I consider myself :p
I would say that I feel way more attacked (Not here thankfully) for any association I have with consoles. Like... all the time every day on every media outlet. Pc is better, pc got better graphics, pc is better value (somehow) pc this, that, excel, office, console sucks... Like.. OK. I get it. Pc got better graphics and all that stuff.
But the stuff I value about console gaming is not it's tech achievements. I would still be playing ps5 probably even if it didn't had fast loading and so on. It's about QOL and less distractions for me. I don't even care much for the price to be honest.
And it just happens that recent consoles, especially in current market are a GREAT deal and have very good tech inside. It's good for everyone.

I just think computers for enthusiasts are much more expensive and people defend what they spent money for. And because they spent so much money on it, they get more invested in it and so on. It's normal.

For me it's reverse psychology. Just because I spend thousands on pc gaming over the years, the small silent box of ps5 is that much more impressive! haha

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

It’s different to “take pride (whatever that means)” in their hardware than constantly shit on consoles box of preference and being fine with playing on lower settings.

Reactions: Yurinka
D

Deleted member 13

I am more console leaning recently but I am a pc enthusiast... at least I consider myself :p
I would say that I feel way more attacked (Not here thankfully) for any association I have with consoles. Like... all the time every day on every media outlet. Pc is better, pc got better graphics, pc is better value (somehow) pc this, that, excel, office, console sucks... Like.. OK. I get it. Pc got better graphics and all that stuff.
But the stuff I value about console gaming is not it's tech achievements. I would still be playing ps5 probably even if it didn't had fast loading and so on. It's about QOL and less distractions for me. I don't even care much for the price to be honest.
And it just happens that recent consoles, especially in current market are a GREAT deal and have very good tech inside. It's good for everyone.

I just think computers for enthusiasts are much more expensive and people defend what they spent money for. And because they spent so much money on it, they get more invested in it and so on. It's normal.

For me it's reverse psychology. Just because I spend thousands on pc gaming over the years, the small silent box of ps5 is that much more impressive! haha
I hear ya bro! For the last week I've been impressed with my little Steam Deck. :D

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
I think it could, but releasing relatively old games, like they are doing now, is probably OK.

What worries me is the dynamic and incentive structure it creates for their studios. The games are no longer made to make the platform stand out, which may affect the way they approach in games services/DLC/what not.
It won't stop to old games tho, they're already announcing PC version even before the PS release. Like TLoU remake.

Last edited:
  • brain
D

Deleted member 13

It’s different to “take pride (whatever that means)” in their hardware than constantly shit on consoles box of preference and being fine with playing on lower settings.
Yea, that's going to happen..

D

Deleted member 13

I totally ordered it few months ago. Looks like interesting way to pc game! Can’t wait
Dude, it's awesome! And there is little sacrifice to graphics settings since you have a much much lowered resolution to worry about and even at 720p, the image is crisp and sharp with no edge aliasing. I've literally been playing this thing all week since the weekend without touching my main PC box.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
i always think back to my friend having the FF7 PC edition back in the day and not thinking "damn ps1 lost exclusivity!!!! fuck!" which is funny because you didn't need a monster computer to run it and FF7 was the biggest game on playstation back then.

just crazy to think how stupid all this panic is around the idea these days

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 13
Status
Not open for further replies.