Will Sony's PC Push Hurt their Console Business in the Mid to Longterm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Three

24 Jun 2022
Explain their lack of units then, by all means. Clearly their yields are a problem.
Explain xboxes then. You know that xbox produces half the units compared to PS, right? Do they have a high clock, shifting frequency and a yield problem too?

It's because there is still a chip shortage and prices are high. Once the margin on hardware improves they will pump out more I'd imagine. For now they are producing more consoles than xbox and selling them all.

A lot of the games that are on PC now are "free" for PS users if they are subscribed to regular PS+ anyway. Days gone, GoW 2018, and Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition was free and didn't even need PS+.

I don't see the issue with selling it on PC and people being persuaded by cheaper games. If they were interested in these games they would buy a playstation and be able to play the sequels.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

27 Jun 2022
But the sales numbers of this slide are from March (mentioned in the bottom left corner), probably until the end of the fiscal year (March 31). GoW was released January 14th so these numbers only covered maximum its first 2 months and a half.
Yes, there's literally an asterisk saying "As of March 2022"
GOW is probably around 1.2M-1.5M by now.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
The "loyal fans" community is probably not what Sony cares about the most. It's a loud (online) community but their numbers are likely insignificant.
Most of you criticizing Sony for PC ports are looking at it from a narrow "Super-Fan" perspective.

What makes money for Sony is not 1 million "loyal fans" who will buy everything PlayStation but the 90-100 million casuals who play COD, FIFA, GTA, Fortnite and the occasional exclusive. You won't see a massive exodus of those 90-100 million players to PC because of 2-3 years old ports that are already free or cheap on console. How many are buying PS5 in 2022 because of God of War 2018 and Uncharted 4? Not many.

Horizon was released on PC 2 years ago and we're not seeing any slowdowns in their console business, you literally can't find the PS5 on store shelves.
There are also facts you can't ignore: 1. PC has seen an large increase of its user base thanks to Steam, lock-downs and Twitch/Youtube. 2. GAAS is bringing billion of dollars to the industry year after year and a large amount of that money is historically coming from PC. Don't get me wrong, I love my single-player cinematic experience, but in 2022, you can't only rely on this to move forward.

Sony is obviously not breaking the bank on PC with old games but it's almost "free/easy money" for them and ensure them a spot in the PC space where they potentially can make it BIG one day with their new GAAS strategy. Also, for as much love and praise PS exclusives get, sometimes it's not enough. Returnal sold poorly. Releasing it on PC could give them extra cash and even become a PC favorite since that kind of game is usually more popular on PC than on consoles.

You can't ask Sony to ignore how the industry is moving forward because you feel nostalgic of how things used to be or because you feel entitled to exclusives.

Just my 2 cents, don't murder me. :)
Episode 7 Murder GIF by Murdoch Mysteries

• haha
Reactions: AniWeeb

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There's no extra hardware sales coming. Why will a PC gamer buy a console when most can wait and download the game on PC for free if they want.
I forgot to mention that the consoles they can ship are sold out in a few minutes and that they are tracking record console demand and engagment. Once they get rid of the chips issue they'll go back to be the best selling console ever in gaming history launch aligned.

So yes, there are extra hardware sales coming and no signs of console hardware sales being hurt: the opposite.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
Well, currently we don’t have any data that suggest it’ll hurt their console business, you would think it could but we don’t have any real data that shows that because it’s a new paradigm shift for Sony (also MS to some extent), I mean even with it being universally known that Sony is pushing towards aggressively, PS5 is still the most demanded console ever, if stock wasn’t an issue, you’d see PS5 destroying any other console/handheld records by a country mile, but that’s maybe contributed to PS consoles’ hype, if that’s the case then Sony should keep pushing that hype throughout the PS5 generation, nothing will cause it to lose relevance, after all we have console people and PC people, they all co-exist they’re not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Yurinka

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Sony's issue is not embracing backwards compatability, WASTING whatever advantage they had from OnLive/Gaikai, whilst also embracing pc. Essentially it's eroding itself from the top, side and bottom, in terms of brand loyalty/customer confidence.

Exclusive Games & Console Features (I guess that means company policies/subscription services today) sell consoles, end of. They share most games by 3rd parties anyway. I don't know what else in a tangiable way seperates the boxes other than controller and dashboard layout, other than their exclusive games.
It's why I likely chose this box over that one: a game series or a developer where I "have to" have your new console in order to play what I want. Start putting those golden nuggets elsewhere like PC, or anchoring them with PS4 co-development, and I simply don't need your new box to play what you're offering. Trust me, I can do without fancy rumble and triggers. Only thing I'd miss from PS5 is the load time improvements. I wish PS5 was a PS4 Pro MAX instead.

Truth is I could pirate almost everything for free on PC, but it's about trying to do things legally and casually, but without having to have multiple consoles hooked up to the TV because Sony's BC support is only just now starting to turn the tide (if it's not in-actually a step-down from where PSNow was?)

Comparing consoles, I could get the competitor's box (I do own a XBSX after Jim Ryan's PS5 messaging, zero confidence), whom do embrace Backwards Compatibility. Or I can just go PC like you seem to want me to do anyway, Sony. Sure, I might get some glitches or technical hiccups, but I'd also have access to mods or fan patches too so it's kinda two sides of the same coin.

To soften the original piracy/free example; I could at the very least go PC only, and end-up with PC/PS/XB/GP games coming to me (eventually), plus mods/patches. I can only imagine it'll creep more and more towards "Day 1 PC" eventually. As a PS5 owner, if the GAMES go elsewhere day and date, so do I. And the next time Sony want me to turn around and buy a PS6 or PSVR2 they can likely forget about it, depending on (get this!) the Exclusive games they might be offering only for PS6 and not PS6+PC at that time.

Sony's Jim Ryan era has been complete arse. Both their customer facing messaging, and business blunders. I'm sick of discussing Silent Hill/MGS/Abandonned rumors. I've been doing it since well before PS5 was a thing. It's been years. Yet TLOU Factions missed not only TLOU2's launch, but PS5's launch, and TLOU Part 1's launch...

Secrecy is ok I guess, but don't then cry foul on leakers when you made the situation yourselves. And secrecy only works if you're building a stockpile of reasons to get your new box, or be happy with it if you have one... not if you're actively undermining it. And I'd add that I think it works better if you have more tentpole calendar events throughout the year. We aren't waiting 5-7 years for new phones like we are games/consoles, they can afford to be secretive and then show us ''one more thing''. By comparisson Sony haven't even shown up to E3/most industry events for what feels like 5 years. It's time to shit or get off the pot. Stop coasting on what PS4's team before you did.

It all seems very short sighted, and I think despite any social media metrics or money earned now, could be a bad omen for PS6's customer trust/market share. The DreamCast failed for the various sins of the 32X/CD/Saturn, and corporate shenanighans.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
The issue wasn't its coming to PC but what was it doing on the show for Playstation gamers.
To expand outwards, PC+PS Live Service Games push will be the trojan horse for PC+PS Day and Date. When you're at that point, after a generation or two, why as an overall company take the financial bath on new console hardware at all?

Reactions: Muddasar

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
PC isn't hurting them, frankly it's their best asset right now. Truth is they likely fucked up their console design to such a degree that yields are incredibly low. All that overclocking and shifting frequencies undoubtedly results in high numbers of unstable units they can't ship.

That semiconductor shortage is basically over and still they can't get consoles out the door while no one else is really having issues anymore. We've also seen those botched units everywhere which are being sold as Chinese PC's.

They need to ramp up their PC initiative, the community is vastly larger than their own and there is never a threat of lacking hardware.
Didn't I read somewhere that PS5 sales were doing as fast as PS4 at the same time it's life cycle, with covid chip shortage on it's shoulders too? Making the entire "we need PS4+PC" bunkem to begin with?

All it does is hamper development of would-be PS5 games being bound by/not taking advantage of PS5 features fully because it has to keep the other two configurations in mind. And then once the game's done, do you wait for PC version instead of PS5 version, do you even have to wait?

Reactions: Bryank75

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Didn't I read somewhere that PS5 sales were doing as fast as PS4 at the same time it's life cycle, with covid chip shortage on it's shoulders too? Making the entire "we need PS4+PC" bunkem to begin with?

All it does is hamper development of would-be PS5 games being bound by/not taking advantage of PS5 features fully because it has to keep the other two configurations in mind. And then once the game's done, do you wait for PC version instead of PS5 version, do you even have to wait?

Bit early to see whether it will hamper sales or not.

PS5 is at around the 20 million mark. The PS4 sold 117 million to date.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is a straight up PlayStation autism forum, I'm fucking out. Lmao.
Has anybody bothered you for your opinion? Has anybody prevented you from sharing it?

The answer to both is no.

So feel free to engage in actual conversation.

• thisistheway
Reactions: PropellerEar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony's issue is not embracing backwards compatability, WASTING whatever advantage they had from OnLive/Gaikai, whilst also embracing pc. Essentially it's eroding itself from the top, side and bottom, in terms of brand loyalty/customer confidence.

Exclusive Games & Console Features (I guess that means company policies/subscription services today) sell consoles, end of. They share most games by 3rd parties anyway. I don't know what else in a tangiable way seperates the boxes other than controller and dashboard layout, other than their exclusive games.
It's why I likely chose this box over that one: a game series or a developer where I "have to" have your new console in order to play what I want. Start putting those golden nuggets elsewhere like PC, or anchoring them with PS4 co-development, and I simply don't need your new box to play what you're offering. Trust me, I can do without fancy rumble and triggers. Only thing I'd miss from PS5 is the load time improvements. I wish PS5 was a PS4 Pro MAX instead.

Truth is I could pirate almost everything for free on PC, but it's about trying to do things legally and casually, but without having to have multiple consoles hooked up to the TV because Sony's BC support is only just now starting to turn the tide (if it's not in-actually a step-down from where PSNow was?)

Comparing consoles, I could get the competitor's box (I do own a XBSX after Jim Ryan's PS5 messaging, zero confidence), whom do embrace Backwards Compatibility. Or I can just go PC like you seem to want me to do anyway, Sony. Sure, I might get some glitches or technical hiccups, but I'd also have access to mods or fan patches too so it's kinda two sides of the same coin.

To soften the original piracy/free example; I could at the very least go PC only, and end-up with PC/PS/XB/GP games coming to me (eventually), plus mods/patches. I can only imagine it'll creep more and more towards "Day 1 PC" eventually. As a PS5 owner, if the GAMES go elsewhere day and date, so do I. And the next time Sony want me to turn around and buy a PS6 or PSVR2 they can likely forget about it, depending on (get this!) the Exclusive games they might be offering only for PS6 and not PS6+PC at that time.

Sony's Jim Ryan era has been complete arse. Both their customer facing messaging, and business blunders. I'm sick of discussing Silent Hill/MGS/Abandonned rumors. I've been doing it since well before PS5 was a thing. It's been years. Yet TLOU Factions missed not only TLOU2's launch, but PS5's launch, and TLOU Part 1's launch...

Secrecy is ok I guess, but don't then cry foul on leakers when you made the situation yourselves. And secrecy only works if you're building a stockpile of reasons to get your new box, or be happy with it if you have one... not if you're actively undermining it. And I'd add that I think it works better if you have more tentpole calendar events throughout the year. We aren't waiting 5-7 years for new phones like we are games/consoles, they can afford to be secretive and then show us ''one more thing''. By comparisson Sony haven't even shown up to E3/most industry events for what feels like 5 years. It's time to shit or get off the pot. Stop coasting on what PS4's team before you did.

It all seems very short sighted, and I think despite any social media metrics or money earned now, could be a bad omen for PS6's customer trust/market share. The DreamCast failed for the various sins of the 32X/CD/Saturn, and corporate shenanighans.
PlayStation is more successful than ever with Jim Ryan in basically all metrics (the exception is temporally hardware sales due to chips shortages), and there are zero signs of things going worse in the future. In fact everything points to the opposite, PlayStation growing in every single area and market and they are doubling down their investments on every type of game (they already are or plan to invest more than ever before in sequels, new IPs, GaaS, non-GaaS, games for console, PC ports, mobile games, growing manpower of existing internal studios, acquiring studios, increasing investment in 2nd and 3rd party exclusive, investment in supporting indies...)

Regarding BC, or streaming/game sub, they did a big improvement with Jimbo, making PS5 is full BC with PS4 (this decision was made before him) and supporting new platforms, plus are working on improving emulators and making new ones as seen in other thread that shows a job offer to do so, plus a recent emulation related patent that shows PS3 accesories.

They shown their plans until April 2026 (FY2025) and for that year they don't plan day one PC releases and said they don't plan them for PS Studios (next Bungie games will release day one on PC and rival consoles). Sony consoles release typically every 7 years, meaning that if they continue the pattern PS6 would release in 2027, meaning that pretty likely there won't be day one releases in PC at least for this gen.

Regarding PC ports, for them are extra free revenue & profit from games that already completed their sales cycle. Every generation AAA games becomes more and more expensive to make, meaning they need extra revenue sources to keep the wheel spinning. Porting old games to PC gives them more money and their 1st party game sales and console hardware sales & demand continued at historical record levels. PC caused zero issues at least until now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksdixon

yewles1

21 Jun 2022
Indianapolis, IN, USA
PSN ID
yewyew1
I have a recent convert to PC after Sony's recent activity. He feels that it's a slap in the face for them to offer games on other platforms at lower prices and to no longer have any exclusives on PS, thus he's going to PC and pirate and emulate everything anyway. I decided not to invite this person over as he would most likely annoy everyone with his questioning of why you're all still on consoles anymore. He's gotten that bad...

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It will not hurt their business, if anything it will increase their reach and demand for their perpherials. If their new Headsets are well liked in the Pro circuit and streamer sector I can see a lot of cross pollination.

For their tv's, monitors, peripherals. When PSVR2 is released it will force people to buy a PS5. PC people will want the better headset, and if they bring it to their games for PC through Playstations own PC launcher its going to garner a lot.

D

Deleted member 13

Sony, in one foul swoop has ported several of the best, once-in-a-lifetime games like GoW, Spider-Man, etc. We'll see what the effects are to come, but I guarantee you it will NOT be good, or beneficial for PlayStation in the long run.
Can you provide a realistic use case as to how this will hurt PS sales or are you talking about the popularity of their exclusives as a whole?

Look at how Xbox owners act: they hate not having exclusives, it bothers them immensely. They're the first to cheer on the sidelines when sony ports a game to PC, because misery loves company. They know their entire console, and their purchase, has been devalued immensely by PC.
Can you describe 'devalue'? Are you saying that the game can't be the best it can be? Or are you saying more people have access to it and therefore more people are less interested in buying it?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Can you provide a realistic use case as to how this will hurt PS sales or are you talking about the popularity of their exclusives as a whole?

Can you describe 'devalue'? Are you saying that the game can't be the best it can be? Or are you saying more people have access to it and therefore more people are less interested in buying it?

I can see it hurt Playstation hardware sales with many shifting to PC.

Also PC gamers not bothering to buy a console to play the odd exclusive anymore cause they can play it on their main platform.

Software sales and software popularity will increase on the other hand.

• Informative
Reactions: mansoor1980
Status
Not open for further replies.