Xbox and Bethesda Developer_Direct [OT]: Redfall, Minecraft Legends, Forza, Elder Scrolls Online Updates

24 Jun 2022
Standout for me was definitely Hi-Fi Rush. It's the kind of variety I was hoping to see more of from Xbox 1P after some of these acquisitions. Nice, sweet AA-style game that's just focused on being fun but still looks visually polished and interesting. I think games like that benefit in particular from the Game Pass subscription model, more so than bigger AAA games, and in fact I'm hoping Sony can leverage PS+ (all tiers) in the future to maybe bring back some AA-style 1P games of their own. I know some people want Gravity Rush back, I personally wouldn't mind a new Parappa/UmJammer kind of Paper Mario RPG with rhythm mechanics, or a new Tomba!, etc.

Forza looked good, it always does. But I'm upset there wasn't as much direct gameplay as I hoped, and no firm month of a release date is giving me H2 2023 vibes for the game. There's a chance it could hit before RedFall, but that seems slim; they didn't even open up preorders for it. Again though, very pretty game; it's got some obvious visual advantages over GT7 but I wouldn't say it's leaps and bounds ahead of it, and GT7 still has better use of color and grounding for its color & lighting than Forza (IMO), which can feel a little too glitzy and glamourous sometimes visually. I'm curious if they'll offer VR support for Forza on PC, though.

RedFall looks fun; visually it actually doesn't look that great. Plasma/particle effects are very good, but the actual world geometry seems pretty simple, same with character models. It does look clean, though, from a visual POV and mostly in terms of IQ (noticed some pixelization but that might've been the stream feed; noticed similar with Hi-Fi Rush but again, prob stream feed). I think it'll have more of a benefit for Game Pass than actually doing big retail numbers, though, TBH.

Minecraft and ESO were "fine" but considering those are multiplat, they're mostly just nice value-adds for Game Pass as Day 1 content. Plus I don't necessarily have an interest in either of those games, so there's that. Overall, I think I'd give the presentation an 8/10, mostly off the strength of Hi-Fi Rush (having it available today was a VERY good surprise; might try to play it on PC over the weekend TBH) followed by Forza, and the fact that none of the games looked "bad" or boring. However, no release date for Forza outside of "2023", and RedFall coming later than what some of us probably thought, are negatives. None of these games really do much in terms of having blockbuster-style mass-market appeal (in terms of actual sales, and aside from Minecraft), but I kind of expected that to be the case a long time ago. 1P-wise those games may hopefully start coming later, starting with Starfield.

But yeah, I think overall I'd give it a decent 8/10, though if it weren't for Hi-Fi Rush I'd of probably knock it down to a 6.5/10.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Hifi looks interesting of what was shown. Would not have bet that game would come from a different RE director than Blocked. Great bonus with having it available later today i hope it plsys well. Forza looks fantastic, no shock here.

Zero interest in Redfall (I'd love a Dishonoured or Prey sequel), Minecraft (the last time i tried it was PSVR) and the number of DLC in ESO is screaming we fucked up, Starfield is delayed, Starfield is November.

Hype kept in check by Xbox with a nice suprise. I dont know what the March show will have.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I give the show a 6/10. Too much talking, trailers were mid to bad, not enough gameplay for the better looking games (forza). Saved by minecraft legends of all things.

D

Deleted member 417

Hifi rush looks like a cross between jet set radio and power stone. I like it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Just watched it now. Minecraft Legends is probably fine but I not a multiplayer RTS type off guy so no interest here. Forza is Forza, nothing more to really say about it. Hi-Fi Rush looks like its going to be one of those hidden gems that people suddenly discover 10 or 15 years from now (hope the musical licenses haven't run out by then.) Oh shit, and its out today, didn't expect that. ESO is, I don't care, I have never cared about ESO. I'm skipping it. Redfall looks good, but it also looks like it has a very muddled history where its trying to be a multiplayer hero shooter and a single-player open world game at the same time. Its going to be very tough to pull off and I hope the Arkane team succeeds. Also, the delay was a bigger one than I thought, was hoping for March though two months won't matter in the long run.

No show rating here since the games weren't really for me.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Just watched it now. Minecraft Legends is probably fine but I not a multiplayer RTS type off guy so no interest here. Forza is Forza, nothing more to really say about it. Hi-Fi Rush looks like its going to be one of those hidden gems that people suddenly discover 10 or 15 years from now (hope the musical licenses haven't run out by then.) Oh shit, and its out today, didn't expect that. ESO is, I don't care, I have never cared about ESO. I'm skipping it. Redfall looks good, but it also looks like it has a very muddled history where its trying to be a multiplayer hero shooter and a single-player open world game at the same time. Its going to be very tough to pull off and I hope the Arkane team succeeds. Also, the delay was a bigger one than I thought, was hoping for March though two months won't matter in the long run.

No show rating here since the games weren't really for me.

They have specifically been calling it a story based shooter that can be played solo or co-op since the the announcement. People have been drawing parallels to Left 4 Dead or Back 4 Blood just because of the art style, which is not what this game is at all.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They have specifically been calling it a story based shooter that can be played solo or co-op since the the announcement. People have been drawing parallels to Left 4 Dead or Back 4 Blood just because of the art style, which is not what this game is at all.
Yeah, and thats incredibly ambitious and hard to pull off. Its exactly what I said, its a single player open world game that also wants to be a co-op hero shooter. Will that all come together or will the different aspects weaken each other?

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Yeah, and thats incredibly ambitious and hard to pull off. Its exactly what I said, its a single player open world game that also wants to be a co-op hero shooter. Will that all come together or will the different aspects weaken each other?

I hope so. Their games have good emergent game play and worlds if nothing else.

TBF I think this might end up being their most successful commercial game.

It's the most "shootery" game they've made, the kinds which resonate with modern gamers the most, instead of the odd-ball timey wimey shenanigans like Deathloop.

Reactions: Bryank75

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
what its increidibly ambitious? the last farcry was way bigger,loooked way better and was also 4 player coop,and it was lambasted for using this formula,and not suddently its amazing?

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
what its increidibly ambitious? the last farcry was way bigger,loooked way better and was also 4 player coop,and it was lambasted for using this formula,and not suddently its amazing?
"Incredibly ambitious" is a phrase that I often see used to cope with something that looks very underwhelming, but the poster needs a way to justify sounding enthused despite knowing deep in their psyche that the game doesnt blow anyone away.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
"Incredibly ambitious" is a phrase that I often see used to cope with something that looks very underwhelming, but the poster needs a way to justify sounding enthused despite knowing deep in their psyche that the game doesnt blow anyone away.
I liked the atmosphere from the reveal trailer a lot but have zero interest in a co-op focused game. I think going for both single player and co-op (and not just as a ticker on the box but as an actual focal point of the game's design) will fuck up the balancing and reward systems and lead to it being a worse game over-all. The ambition is going to kill it. Also, not really a deal breaker but the enemy character designs suck ass. They are so generic looking, I couldn't even tell you that they're supposed to be vampires without having been told in advance myself.

I paid little attention the last Far Cry (looked like more of the same tired formula to me) and didn't know there was co-op. Sounds like a mis-use of resources to me, too much ambition without the chops to back it up.

edit: And its not like I hid that feeling in my original post either, the entire rest of it was me talking about how the game could fall apart.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

The creators of the game have themselves called it their biggest and most ambitious game yet.

This is from the team that made the excellent Prey 2016 game.

Please feel free to take your faux concern eslewhere 🤭

I liked the atmosphere from the reveal trailer a lot but have zero interest in a co-op focused game. I think going for both single player and co-op (and not just as a ticker on the box but as an actual focal point of the game's design) will fuck up the balancing and reward systems and lead to it being a worse game over-all. The ambition is going to kill it. Also, not really a deal breaker but the enemy character designs suck ass. They are so generic looking, I couldn't even tell you that they're supposed to be vampires without having been told in advance myself.

I paid little attention the last Far Cry (looked like more of the same tired formula to me) and didn't know there was co-op. Sounds like a mis-use of resources to me, too much ambition without the chops to back it up.

edit: And its not like I hid that feeling in my original post either, the entire rest of it was me talking about how the game could fall apart.

You're good, you don't have to explain yourself to an audience with a clear agenda.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs
P

peter42O

Just finished watching the showcase. Really good. Love the format, layout and presentation. Only negative which is me nitpicking is the constant cuts to the developers. Show the developers to start and end the game while talking over what we're seeing and it would be perfect. Okay, game wise -

- Minecraft Legends looks really cool but it's not for me. Releases on April 18th which is two weeks before Redfall and two to three weeks after Ghostwire Tokyo releases on Xbox Series.
- HiFi Rush is definitely unique and looks really good but not my type of game, however, when I sign up to Game Pass to play Atomic Heart in April, I will check it out. Dropping today was definitely unexpected.
- Forza Motorsport looks great. Wish the damage on the cars was "more" but I know why they can't do it. Not surprised that there wasn't a release date. I have always expected late September and im staying with it.
- The Elder Scrolls Online isn't for me but holy shit, they have a massive ton of expansions and content for the game.
- Redfall looks great and im really hyped for it. Can't wait!!! Playing solo and killing Vampires!!! Let's go baby!!! May 2nd officially confirmed.

Microsoft first party for 2023 thus far -

- HiFi Rush (January 25th)
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (January 31st)
- Ghostwire Tokyo (late March/early April)
- Minecraft Legends (April 18th)
- Redfall (May 2nd)
- The Elder Scrolls next expansion (June 20th)

TBA -

- Forza Motorsport (late September is my guess)
- Age of Empires IV (October is my guess)
- Starfield (November is my guess)

Overall, a great lineup spread out throughout 2023 and can build a lot of momentum going into 2024.