Xbox needs to be called out more for its lack of innovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
This will age like fine milk.
You don't understand the market, you don't understand VR developers, the stringent costs and lack of resources. I invest thousands into this space and have thousands of hours in it. I keep up with everything related to VR.

Even a game like Hellblade which had a budget of $10 million (massive by VR standards) was held back for years from other platforms due to costs and lack of resources.

Most of these developers are groups of friends and home based development from locally sourced talent.

I said this from day one with PSVR and it played out exactly as thought, and will happen yet again. Console VR has no long term or upward trajectory. The core tenant of people creating software in this space do not have the financial means or manpower to bother with this platform.

I just don't understand this incessant fanboy need to defend PlayStation against unwavering realities. This isn't even about them, this is about anyone trying to do this.

The means do not exist to support this kind of platform from the overwhelming majority of VR developers. It's too costly, it's too resource intensive.

Try to understand this, PC costs them nothing outside of their creationary development budget. PlayStation VR costs them tens to upwards of hundreds of thousands on top of that for licensing, platform fees, porting and extenuating employee pay.

It's too much.

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
You don't understand the market, you don't understand VR developers, the stringent costs and lack of resources. I invest thousands into this space and have thousands of hours in it. I keep up with everything related to VR.

Even a game like Hellblade which had a budget of $10 million (massive by VR standards) was held back for years from other platforms due to costs and lack of resources.

Most of these developers are groups of friends and home based development from locally sourced talent.

I said this from day one with PSVR and it played out exactly as thought, and will happen yet again. Console VR has no long term or upward trajectory. The core tenant of people creating software in this space do not have the financial means or manpower to bother with this platform.

I just don't understand this incessant fanboy need to defend PlayStation against unwavering realities. This isn't even about them, this is about anyone trying to do this.

The means do not exist to support this kind of platform from the overwhelming majority of VR developers. It's too costly, it's too resource intensive.

Try to understand this, PC costs them nothing outside of their creationary development budget. PlayStation VR costs them tens to upwards of hundreds of thousands on top of that for licensing, platform fees, porting and extenuating employee pay.

It's too much.
I didn't know that if your developing for PC you don't need to pay your employers! 😂

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I didn't know that if your developing for PC you don't need to pay your employers! 😂

Didn't you know? PC game development is easy. You only need to be precise when moving sliders. Why would you pay someone for doing it?

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022

It's too much.
Pure nonsense.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

It's too much.
This is really going to age like fine milk.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I did, I do not think he is even making login on neogaf. He is still pissed how homophobic some mods were, even I had stuff deleted or warnings...
I got banned from a thread because I was loling at some homophobic posts. That place is really a dumpster fire.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Didn't you know? PC game development is easy. You only need to be precise when moving sliders. Why would you pay someone for doing it?
And once the tools arrive that allow devs to enter percentage value -- instead of moving sliders up and down -- it's going to be a game changer for the PC game development scene.

Reactions: arvfab

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
And once the tools arrive that allow devs to enter percentage value -- instead of moving sliders up and down -- it's going to be a game changer for the PC game development scene.
I think the most nonsense part of that post was this:

And this:
The core tenant of people creating software in this space do not have the financial means or manpower to bother with this platform.
As if publishers wouldn't invest in these games... lmao

• haha
Reactions: Heisenberg007

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Play Anywhere
It's MS name to Sony's previous Cross-buy and Cross-save, used other name because Sony had them patented.

Game Pass
It's MS reply to Sony's previous PS Now, everything MS implemented is patented by Sony and implemented before or at least announced for the PS Now long term plans concept presentation back in 2013/2014. The only difference is that MS has a bigger focus on adding day one games, including all their 1st party ones, while Sony only did it in rare cases for som smaller 3rd party games.

Quick Resume
Sony and Nintendo also previously had this specially in their portables, the difference with MS is that it supports multiple games.

Smart Delivery
It's MS name to Sony's previous Cross-buy. Couldn't use the same name because Sony had it patented/copyrighted.

Cloud Computing
This was smoke, like many claims they did for Kinect like fingers tracking or Mylo. I still have to see a game taking advantage of this.

Enhanced Backward Compatability
It's a cool name for low budget remasters or enhaced ports.

Adaptive Controller
I think they were the first console maker to make it.

It's only the name of Microsoft's implementation for the standard raytracing.

It's the name of a Nvidia rendering technique that later became standard and implemented by the other GPU manufacturers. MS included it on their API in the same way other ones also implemented it in other APIs.

Last edited:

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
It's true. PC game development doesn't cost anything.

You just torrent devs paychecks to them 😛

What do you guys not understand about increased cost and extenuating pay when no new product is being created?

It costs additional money to retool your controls. It costs additional money to retool your code for a new API. It costs additional money to optimize for a new platform. It costs additional money to port a game.

This is on top of the tens of thousands of dollars it cost just to get the game on the platform, and the tens of thousands of dollars it costs just to push out an update. Not to mention the potential of having to alter your game to make it censorship friendly for the platform.

Most of these VR development teams can't afford this crap, and they don't have the Manpower.
This is really going to age like fine milk.
Pure nonsense.
These are not arguments, these are illogical disagreements where neither of you have the ability to elaborate.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
What do you guys not understand about increased cost and extenuating pay when no new product is being created?

It costs additional money to retool your controls. It costs additional money to retool your code for a new API. It costs additional money to optimize for a new platform. It costs additional money to port a game.

This is on top of the tens of thousands of dollars it cost just to get the game on the platform, and the tens of thousands of dollars it costs just to push out an update. Not to mention the potential of having to alter your game to make it censorship friendly for the platform.

Most of these VR development teams can't afford this crap, and they don't have the Manpower.

These are not arguments, these are illogical disagreements where neither do you have the ability to elaborate.
There's nothing to elaborate when you say nonsense. You'll just say more nonsense.
All you said will clearly age like milk. There's nothing else to discuss.

Reactions: nominedomine

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

These are not arguments, these are illogical disagreements where neither do you have the ability to elaborate.
Dude you are not using extenuating in the right context. Extenuating basically means mitigating, it has nothing to do with extension! (Sorry but incorrect use of language is one of my pet peeves)

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
There's nothing to elaborate when you say nonsense. You'll just say more nonsense.
All you said will clearly age like milk. There's nothing else to discuss.
This still isn't an argument.

Dude you are not using extenuating in the right context. Extenuating basically means mitigating, it has nothing to do with extension! (Sorry but incorrect use of language is one of my pet peeves)
It applies if you use it in the context of money being lost, not given.

• haha
Reactions: Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Saw it.... what the hell are they thinking over there and what type of mods do they have?
I don’t know. It’s weird. People there seem more interested in warring and being, excuse me the usage of the word, bigots than talking about games. It got to the point that I simply put every single thread that whined about “woke” stuff on ignore.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Saw it.... what the hell are they thinking over there and what type of mods do they have?
I do not get it, Neo is the opposite of Reset, but both run by crazy mods. On Neo I had a thread about male appreciation deleted, many people liked it and even msg. The problem was not the users or the content, it was the mod.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I do not get it, Neo is the opposite of Reset, but both run by crazy mods. On Neo I had a thread about male appreciation deleted, many people liked it and even msg. The problem was not the users or the content, it was the mod.
It’s crazy people from the opposite spectrum than Era I think. It’s “woke whining” 24/7.

Reactions: Zeroing
Status
Not open for further replies.