Xbox Retail space shrinking down to nothing across Europe and Japan - is America next?

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
France:

Japan

Xbox's hatred of physical disc games has really come back to haunt them. they're being phased out of the retail space across the globe. In France, a meagre smattering of xbox games are hidden in the PC game section, while giant blue and red PS/Nintendo sections expand and flourish.

shocking to see xbox just... disappear before our eyes.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Xbox has always been about digital stuff. Hatred of physical? Don't think it has anything to do with hate lol. Thats a reach, the only real hate is coming from you and you know it. Nice double post btw for the sake of bumping a useless topic. Pro move, learn to use the edit button.

Physical is going away no matter what, including PlayStation. Xbox has decided to embrace the future earlier than others. That's the only difference. PS6/Xbox Next will most likely be fully digital. This is another no nothing burger as usual. As I've said before, the industry is changing whether you like it or not. No one even does manuals anymore for the most part like the old days. Wanna know why? Waste of money, there is no need anymore.

And there is no need to waste even more money on mass producing discs. Games are already expensive as it and they're not getting cheaper. Oh and don't give me the whole "but i want mah game rights and resell!" speech. Don't wanna spend money? Go subscribe to Gamefly if your prefer digital renting before purchasing the product and play games at your leisure.

Get used to it and learn to deal with it. I can see your frustration and me being the understanding person that I am, I'd highly suggest you quit the hobby, you obviously don't like where the things are going. And it seems you are very stressed out, i worry for your health and your blood pressure rising. Quit before you hurt yourself my man.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
7kjQnrJ.jpg

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
France:

Japan

Xbox's hatred of physical disc games has really come back to haunt them. they're being phased out of the retail space across the globe. In France, a meagre smattering of xbox games are hidden in the PC game section, while giant blue and red PS/Nintendo sections expand and flourish.

shocking to see xbox just... disappear before our eyes.

Far from shocking, as most major retailers basically lease the shelf space to the platform holders. MS is clearly not renewing the contracts, likely due to the retailers wanting more money for the space due to Xbox products not selling for them.

Another sign XBox is not long for this world.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Well I did comment recently that the stores don’t even bother to put Xbox consoles on selves, they toss one on the floor or don’t even bother displaying them.

It’s been like that for a long time in most parts of Europe. Not sure why people are so shocked. Retail doesn’t care because gamers don’t care…

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Well I did comment recently that the stores don’t even bother to put Xbox consoles on selves, they toss one on the floor or don’t even bother displaying them.

It’s been like that for a long time in most parts of Europe. Not sure why people are so shocked. Retail doesn’t care because gamers don’t care…
Retail is done for. It's only a matter of time before GameStop goes out of business. I kind of can't wait for that, because I hate their lies and anti consumer business practices just so they can make a dime.

They tried to sell me disc in a fucking paper slip at a $59.99 "sealed new" proce tag. They think I am a fucking donkey.

Amazon exists, you can just get your physical or digital there without having to interact with some low life lying sack of shit moron who's trying to manipulate you into spending money on their scummy reward pro programs.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Retail is done for. It's only a matter of time before GameStop goes out of business. I kind of can't wait for that, because I hate their lies and anti consumer business practices just so they can make a dime.

They tried to sell me disc in a fucking paper slip at a $59.99 "sealed new" proce tag. They think I am a fucking donkey.

Amazon exists, you can just get your physical or digital there without having to interact with some low life lying sack of shit moron who's trying to manipulate you into spending money on their scummy reward pro programs.

Retail is still pretty big in Europe. Also, good way to show how big of an asshole you are when describing people in shops. Funny enough, I've never been that bothered by being asked if I want whatever, I just say no. Maybe you being an asshole is the problem.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Retail is still pretty big in Europe. Also, good way to show how big of an asshole you are when describing people in shops. Funny enough, I've never been that bothered by being asked if I want whatever, I just say no. Maybe you being an asshole is the problem.
working people are low life morons, wow. that's sad to hear.

yes, retail is pretty big in europe. it also helps retain shops and business and people keeps the job. nothing but positives.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022

What’s a GameStop? I’m European! We don’t have that here. He have Fnac or worten…etc
Also I like when the employees ask if I want help but I am thinking the experience in USA vs Europe is very very different.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
What’s a GameStop? I’m European! We don’t have that here. He have Fnac or worten…etc
Also I like when the employees ask if I want help but I am thinking the experience in USA vs Europe is very very different.
There is nothing wrong with employees asking customers if they want help. But what's annoying is when they push you on pre-orders and then make it seem like they'll be out of game copies if you don't pre order. The reason they do that is because of the pressure from upper management.

Obviously, not all GameStops are bad , but the majority ones I've been too have been sleazy, obnoxious and just annoying. There was only 1 GameStop that I enjoyed going too. The midnight launches were probably the most funnest thing that I miss from the physical days. You got to socialize with like minded folks and pass the time waiting to pick up a copy of anticipated games.

But other than that, the convince of digital game purchases and not having to worry about driving out of your way just to get a game is just too good imo.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Xbox has always been about digital stuff. Hatred of physical? Don't think it has anything to do with hate lol. Thats a reach, the only real hate is coming from you and you know it. Nice double post btw for the sake of bumping a useless topic. Pro move, learn to use the edit button.

Physical is going away no matter what, including PlayStation. Xbox has decided to embrace the future earlier than others. That's the only difference. PS6/Xbox Next will most likely be fully digital. This is another no nothing burger as usual. As I've said before, the industry is changing whether you like it or not. No one even does manuals anymore for the most part like the old days. Wanna know why? Waste of money, there is no need anymore.

And there is no need to waste even more money on mass producing discs. Games are already expensive as it and they're not getting cheaper. Oh and don't give me the whole "but i want mah game rights and resell!" speech. Don't wanna spend money? Go subscribe to Gamefly if your prefer digital renting before purchasing the product and play games at your leisure.

Get used to it and learn to deal with it. I can see your frustration and me being the understanding person that I am, I'd highly suggest you quit the hobby, you obviously don't like where the things are going. And it seems you are very stressed out, i worry for your health and your blood pressure rising. Quit before you hurt yourself my man.
Please, try even harder to be a prick. I want to see the headlines that some chump who runs a nothing website was severely beaten by a retail worker!

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
There is nothing wrong with employees asking customers if they want help. But what's annoying is when they push you on pre-orders and then make it seem like they'll be out of game copies if you don't pre order. The reason they do that is because of the pressure from upper management.

Obviously, not all GameStops are bad , but the majority ones I've been too have been sleazy, obnoxious and just annoying. There was only 1 GameStop that I enjoyed going too. The midnight launches were probably the most funnest thing that I miss from the physical days. You got to socialize with like minded folks and pass the time waiting to pick up a copy of anticipated games.

But other than that, the convince of digital game purchases and not having to worry about driving out of your way just to get a game is just too good imo.
Wait that’s legal in USA? What? Here retail cannot trick or pressure the customers.

Anyway, future looks grim for Xbox, I also have my doubts how the all digital will pan in the future, the current model of DRM, no ownership etc is backfiring on Adobe and Netflix.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Dunno bout that.... we still have massive toy stores with big gaming sections and they offer day 1 games lower priced than PSN or the other online stores and they also have great sales....

There's absolutely no real risk to these stores cause they are diversified, they sell baby strollers, prams, cots, books, teddies etc. and they have online, delivery and click and collect.

Business has adapted.... maybe not Gamestop but they have changed in small ways that have kept them somewhat in the game. They sell a lot of memorabilia, posters, cards, headsets and the likes....

Also these retail channels make your console visible and are like free advertising and ease of access.....

For instance, because my local store knew me well, they put my name on the list to pre-order PS5 way before most people were aware they could even take names. I was guaranteed to get one as I was in the first 100 people in the country to pre-order it. There is a lot to be said for local knowledge and connections as well as the personal touch...when a store can achieve that.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Wait that’s legal in USA? What? Here retail cannot trick or pressure the customers.

Anyway, future looks grim for Xbox, I also have my doubts how the all digital will pan in the future, the current model of DRM, no ownership etc is backfiring on Adobe and Netflix.
I am not worried about Xbox's all digital future. No one has better live service and servers for their than Microsoft. They've always been the pioneer of online gaming and multiplayer and the 360 is the proof of that.

Remember when everyone got upset you had to pay for PS+ on PS4 to play online compared to the PS3? Well, just like that Xbox alresdy where the future of online gaming was heading, just like they know now. They also stopped true exclusitivity. There is no more "Only On Xbox" and its only a matter of time before Sony embraces that path completelt.

I'd am more concerned with Microsoftd studios and management. They need to get their shit together and stop performing a Mickey Mouse circus. Starfield will be the first true test along with Starfield.

Last edited:

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Dunno bout that.... we still have massive toy stores with big gaming sections and they offer day 1 games lower priced than PSN or the other online stores and they also have great sales....

There's absolutely no real risk to these stores cause they are diversified, they sell baby strollers, prams, cots, books, teddies etc. and they have online, delivery and click and collect.

Business has adapted.... maybe not Gamestop but they have changed in small ways that have kept them somewhat in the game. They sell a lot of memorabilia, posters, cards, headsets and the likes....

Also these retail channels make your console visible and are like free advertising and ease of access.....

For instance, because my local store knew me well, they put my name on the list to pre-order PS5 way before most people were aware they could even take names. I was guaranteed to get one as I was in the first 100 people in the country to pre-order it. There is a lot to be said for local knowledge and connections as well as the personal touch...when a store can achieve that.
I get what your saying and i agree with you to a certain extent, but you are in Europe. And this is USA. Things are a bit different here.

For the last year or so, plenty of big named stores are closing down several locations. Not just gaming, but stuff like even Walmart and Bed Bath & Beyond. Thankfully, Best Buy is still around, that is the only electronic retail store I'll still go to on a very rare occasion if I want to get a TV or some sort of a house appliances.

Gamestop sells a lot of random stuff to stay afloat, but I don't think you'll see them anymore retail-wise in the next decade at the latest. Perhaps, they'll just keep a couple of warehouses and stay digital only. But I am just making guesses at this point.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero and Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I am not worried about Xbox's all digital future. No one has better live service and servers for their than Microsoft. They've always been the pioneer of online gaming and multiplayer and the 360 is the proof of that.

Remember when everyone got upset you had to pay for PS+ on PS4 to play onkine compared to the PS3? Well, just like that Xbox alresdy where the future of online gaming was heading, just like they know now. They also stopped true exclusitivity. There is no more "Only On Xbox" and its only a mayter of time before Sony embraces that path completelt.

I'd am more concerned with Microsoftd studios and management. They need to get their shit together and stop performing a Mickey Mouse circus. Starfield will be the first true test along with Starfield.

They also pushed always online too early and boxes with no disc inside...and cameras always on in your house.

Just because they charged for online before Sony did and people capitulated, doesn't really mean too much in the long-game.

Nintendo and Sony will always have to have a physical option, the market for physical is just too big on their platforms.

Reactions: Zeroing

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
They also pushed always online too early and boxes with no disc inside...and cameras always on in your house.

Just because they charged for online before Sony did and people capitulated, doesn't really mean too much in the long-game.

Nintendo and Sony will always have to have a physical option, the market for physical is just too big on their platforms.
Yes, that is true. Xbox users just naturally tend to prefer the digital route and there is nothing wrong with that and same for PS/Nintendo they prefer the physical and that's also fine.

But as the years go by, we're starting to see less and less physical sales on all of the platforms with digital overtaking. I am simply making a point that there will be a timeline where you will never ever see physical games anymore. That market will eventually die out, because those people will simply die of old age, the new generation of kids and teenagers won't care about that stuff. People who are going to be born into the PS6/PS7 era will will already be living in the digitsl eco system.

My newphew is 7 years old, he doesn't ask his mom to go to a toy store unless his already near it. He asks her to go on Amazon to buy him Legos.

Another decade or so and say good bye to physical imo.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yes, that is true. Xbox users just naturally tend to prefer the digital route and there is nothing wrong with that and same for PS/Nintendo they prefer the physical and that's also fine.

But as the years go by, we're starting to see less and less physical sales on all of the platforms period. I am simply making a point that there will be a timeline where you will never ever see physical games anymore. That market will eventually die out, because those people will simply of old age, the bew generation of kids and teenagers won't care about that stuff. Give it another decade at the most.

Eh, we will have to see... Nintendo has a massive share of its software as physical and loads of kids do that....

Even vinyl came back recently and is pretty big.

Xbox definitely has their audience onboard with their moves but I just don't think PS and Nintendo audiences will go along with that.
I was even in Gamestop over Christmas and was surprised that a kid around 12 /13 wouldn't take a digital PS5..... I just assumed he would be happy to get any. He was pretty definitive about how he responded.

But as you say, there are differences between USA and Europe and the platforms.... we'll just have to see how it goes over time.

Reactions: Elder Legend

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Eh, we will have to see... Nintendo has a massive share of its software as physical and loads of kids do that....

Even vinyl came back recently and is pretty big.

Xbox definitely has their audience onboard with their moves but I just don't think PS and Nintendo audiences will go along with that.
I was even in Gamestop over Christmas and was surprised that a kid around 12 /13 wouldn't take a digital PS5..... I just assumed he would be happy to get any. He was pretty definitive about how he responded.

But as you say, there are differences between USA and Europe and the platforms.... we'll just have to see how it goes over time.
The only company thst I believe that can get away with anything is Nintendo. Their fans will eat and buy whatever and however they throw it at them.