Xbox Retail space shrinking down to nothing across Europe and Japan - is America next?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Retail section of Xbox will eventually just be gamepass sub cards. They completely tanked third party sales and sales in general.

N64’d…. But worse. Nintendo at least knew how to make good games that players actually enjoyed. There’s nothing like that for Xbox.
The same did Sony with PS3. Legendary gen. Crazy number of exclusive came.

Xbox instead doing everything just not creating games which people want, On GAME CONSOLE!

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
just crazy to see it all happen before our eyes! The console is completely disappearing.

Not long now before Xbox ends up being up in the cloud, and nothing more.

I say 2 more years, max. Then they pull out of the console business.
With how the Acti buyout is going, I think 1 year may be overestimating things on the hardware production side.

I think they will announce this summer that whatever has been announced with a release date is guaranteed to come out on Xbox Series and anything undated will shift to PC-only or be cancelled.

I’ve been waiting for this day for the last two decades!

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Well, they definitely own no worthwhile exclusives!
It’s not even about exclusives, they do not make games consistently, Xbox one and Xbox series X have been running on dreams of the future and on marketing. Only the diehard fans will stay.

just crazy to see it all happen before our eyes! The console is completely disappearing.

Not long now before Xbox ends up being up in the cloud, and nothing more.

I say 2 more years, max. Then they pull out of the console business.
I agree, I can see they just using “Xbox” as a service and cloud thing for PC… and that’s because of Windows monopoly.

Right now Microsoft main focus is trying to take over the digital stores of android and iOS and they are failing at it. MS realized that gaming makes money and mobile is a golden goose but they wasted so many opportunities.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It’s not even about exclusives, they do not make games consistently, Xbox one and Xbox series X have been running on dreams of the future and on marketing. Only the diehard fans will stay.

I agree, I can see they just using “Xbox” as a service and cloud thing for PC… and that’s because of Windows monopoly.

Right now Microsoft main focus is trying to take over the digital stores of android and iOS and they are failing at it. MS realized that gaming makes money and mobile is a golden goose but they wasted so many opportunities.
Gaming has NEVER made money for MS. It’s all laid out in the submissions they made in the Epic v Apple lawsuit.

As of 2021, Microsoft’s efforts to take over the console world had lost them a total of $67 billion dollars. They had two profitable quarters, non-consecutive, in the 360 generation, but overall XBox is a smoking crater financially.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
yeah, it's an unfortunate truth. but hopefully the industry can begin to heal once MS leaves. Not like they have anything to offer game creation wise (they haven't incubated a hit game since the 360 generation, over a decade ago).

Bethesda should be ok too. they were smart to only minimally integrate into MS at large. Bethesda's always mentioned separate for a reason, like the "xbox & Bethesda presents Developer Direct"... etc.

Smart thinking by Todd and the gang.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
yeah, it's an unfortunate truth. but hopefully the industry can begin to heal once MS leaves. Not like they have anything to offer game creation wise (they haven't incubated a hit game since the 360 generation, over a decade ago).

Bethesda should be ok too. they were smart to only minimally integrate into MS at large. Bethesda's always mentioned separate for a reason, like the "xbox & Bethesda presents Developer Direct"... etc.

Smart thinking by Todd and the gang.
More likely that even Phil thinks Todd is an asshole and wanted to keep his distance.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Phil Spencers “Ambassador“ Discord this week:

Spread the message:

“Physical games don‘t matter anymore”
”Xbox was always a digital audience“
”Physical games are a waste and bad for the planet”
“Nitendo and Playstation are backwards and will give up physical soon”
”Physical games will be dead by next gen”

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Gaming has NEVER made money for MS. It’s all laid out in the submissions they made in the Epic v Apple lawsuit.

As of 2021, Microsoft’s efforts to take over the console world had lost them a total of $67 billion dollars. They had two profitable quarters, non-consecutive, in the 360 generation, but overall XBox is a smoking crater financially.
They lost 67B in 20 years? Are you sure?

• Surprised
Reactions: EN250

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022

Oh, well isn’t MS lucky for making billions on the 90s… they can afford to create a gaming brand and cry their competition makes money. Interesting.

Reactions: EN250 and Kokoloko

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
All these doom and gloom Xbox Posts.

Just wait till E3. Trust the Process.

Anyways, I can def see MS dropping Xbox (you already see the signs), but I see them going 3rd party. At the end, MS just wants to make revenue from COD in all platforms, and am sure they will love to port all their games to PS5. (They already offered Gamepass to Sony in the past)

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Anyway, future looks grim for Xbox, I also have my doubts how the all digital will pan in the future, the current model of DRM, no ownership etc is backfiring on Adobe and Netflix.
Adobe is taking a beating too?

When MS and Google start to bleed customers for their office/docs suites we should talk again.

For better or worse I think that some aspects of digital software are going to be service based, and that works for movies/TV shows because it fills the same role as rentals did in the past, before home TV you had to go to the theater to watch a movie, etc.

Multiplayer games are already infected, this is why so many just go f2p/GaaS day 1.

Single player games are different, when a game is really good people will buy it and play for weeks or months at a time, building skills or advancing the story.

I don't want to pay a monthly bill only to find out that the game I want to play at a given moment is no longer on it.

In the other hand Seinfeld used to be on Prime, DVD quality... It has been taken out of circulation for a while then popped up on Netflix AI upscaled and all.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PlacidusaX

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Adobe is taking a beating too?

When MS and Google start to bleed customers for their office/docs suites we should talk again.

For better or worse I think that some aspects of digital software are going to be service based, and that works for movies/TV shows because it fills the same role as rentals did in the past, before home TV you had to go to the theater to watch a movie, etc.

Multiplayer games are already infected, this is why so many just go f2p/GaaS day 1.

Single player games are different, when a game is really good people will buy it and play for weeks or months at a time, building skills or advancing the story.

I don't want to pay a monthly bill only to find out that the game I want to play at a given moment is no longer on it.

In the other hand Seinfeld used to be on Prime, DVD quality... It has been taken out of circulation for a while then popped up on Netflix AI upscaled and all.
Adobe lost so many customers it had to buy their rival software company, who is not a service.
The latest drama is Pantone you know the color swatches! You want to use that on photoshop? You need to pay extra.

YouTube is starting restricting quality to 720p to users who do not pay for a sub. Netflix loosing customers non stop and so on. People are getting fed up. There’s more and more people on TikTok advocating for ownership of media, software…
If every company continue with their anti consumer practices, everyone will stop using it.

This time I really believe it, gen z is brutal.