Your Unpopular(?) Gaming Opinions thread

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Dedicated gaming hardware (i.e.) consoles is a superior method for people to play / enjoy their games.
-Better optimization
-more efficient use of components and power
-faster to turn on and get to playing a game
-no shader compiling issues
-architecture built around gaming.... not word processing / spreadsheets etc. etc.
-console model allows business flexibility.... if something is wrong the company that makes the console can change course (PC cannot change course due to so many companies being involved)

-1st party studios and exclusives
-accessibility both in terms of being available in a range of stores and online and needing little to no setup and then in terms of controllers for those with disabilities and other in game options.

-price of hardware is subsidized or at least at cost with consoles, while every component manufacturer on PC needs to make money, so you are being fleeced several times over when you buy a PC.

-Puts focus on games and gaming, not hardware and performance...... which shows console is for gamers more than PC. PC is for technologists and performance benchmarkers.... they always emphasize how little they pay for games, which shows they value gaming far less than real gamers.

-Cheating is rampant on PC and gaming online on console is much fairer in 99% of cases.
-Most games release in a mess on PC with stuttering, reduced performance that negates all the hardware investment (Denuvo) and developers will never get the type of performance you are paying for out of high end GPU's.

-Pirating is rampant and ruining gaming, destroying developers and cheating them further out of the compensation they deserve for many years work.

-RGB lighting while claiming PC gaming is for adults and consoles are toys is highly ironic. The parts come from the same factories.

And a lot more....
It's not unpopular. The market speaks for itself since Nintendo made premium gaming mainstream with the Famicom. It's the popular opinion/choice. That has not changed. Parties with interests in creating a different perception have tried to change this perception and clearly made inroads in discourse but the dominant platforms are still home-consoles, and may it hold true for as long as it can.

Last edited:
  • Shake
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Embracer buys stuff cheap while WB tried selling for more than the assets were worth. NetEase is probably more likely than them, and Google is out of game publishing after Stadia flopped. Krafton is also expanding with western devs, but they seem to be building new studios rather than buying old ones. The truth is that, contrary to most's fear of there being fewer viable publishers than ever, there's actually more than ever, being fueled by the ease of online publishing, the prestige (and safety from gov meddling) of the western market, the suze of the game-buying public, etc.

Actually just as a final note, aside from their very troubled THQ Nordic division, I love Embracer as a publisher. They budget games appropriately, release them on everything, target all genres and market segments and even have room for unwoke eastern European developers. They'd be a great home for any studio.
Might be wrong here, as I'm half asleep atm: but I see them passing troubled game productions round different failing studios, like Dead Island 2. Or shutting studios quickly if not super successfully, like Saints Row studio after that recent reboot bomb.

We sure Embracer's not just hording game IP to skim money off BC releases, Remasters, and licencing game IP's to Amazon for easy media-rights cash? Do they actually pull their weight with new releases?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Might be wrong here, as I'm half asleep atm: but I see them passing troubled game productions round different failing studios, like Dead Island 2. Or shutting studios quickly if not super successfully, like Saints Row studio after that recent reboot bomb.

We sure Embracer's not just hording game IP to skim money off BC releases, Remasters, and licencing game IP's to Amazon for easy media-rights cash? Do they actually pull their weight with new releases?
Dead Island 2 changed studios once, like eight or nine years ago, because it looked like shit. Then it was allowed to continue development up until now with it finally ready to release. I don't like the look of it but then I think TLOU looks like generic zombies so you can just imagine what I made of the hunk of shit that was Dead Island 1. Volition wasn't shut down, either, it was transfered from Plaion to Gearbox, a different division of the company. I don't know what they plan to do with it but Gearbox actually has a number of non-Borderlands studios in its gaming division, most of which make online-focused games that you don't hear about unless you actively play them. Its a much tighter ship, financially speaking, than Plaion and they will likely do a better job greenlighting and managing any future games.

As to new releases, Embracer pulls their weight more than any other individual publisher out there. This year they are set up to release, at least by my reckoning, Lightyear Frontier, Project Slingshot, a bunch of ports/re-releases from freemode, Dead Island 2, the Shadow Warrior 3 remaster (already out), Payday 3, the System Shock 2 remake, Deceive Inc., Scars Above, SpongeBob (already out), possibly the Alone in the Dark remake, possibly the Gothic remake, Remnant 2, Jagged Alliance 2 (maybe), WH40K 2, Comanche (in early access,) a bunch of DLC to live service games, lots of phone stuff. They make everything for everybody and thats a good thing because even if most of that doesn't appeal to you there's pretty much got to be something in there that does.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: ksdixon
OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Dead Island 2 changed studios once, like eight or nine years ago, because it looked like shit. Then it was allowed to continue development up until now with it finally ready to release. I don't like the look of it but then I think TLOU looks like generic zombies so you can just imagine what I made of the hunk of shit that was Dead Island 1. Volition wasn't shut down, either, it was transfered from THQ-N to Gearbox, a different division of the company. I don't know what they plan to do with it but Gearbox actually has a number of non-Borderlands studios in its gaming division, most of which make online-focused games that you don't hear about unless you actively play them. Its a much tighter ship, financially speaking, than THQ-N and they will likely do a better job greenlighting and managing any future games.

As to new releases, Embracer pulls their weight more than any other individual publisher out there. This year they are set up to release, at least by my reckoning, Lightyear Frontier, Project Slingshot, a bunch of ports/re-releases from freemode, Dead Island 2, the Shadow Warrior 3 remaster (already out), Payday 3, the System Shock 2 remake, Deceive Inc., Scars Above, SpongeBob (already out), possibly the Alone in the Dark remake, possibly the Gothic remake, Remnant 2, Jagged Alliance 2 (maybe), WH40K 2, Comanche (in early access,) a bunch of DLC to live service games, lots of phone stuff. They make everything for everybody and thats a good thing because even if most of that doesn't appeal to you there's pretty much got to be something in there that does.

Dang. Sounds like I've been under-selling them, to be fair.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Anything goes, from consoles and companies to developers and games. What's that one opinion that draws a lot of controversy when mentioned.

Mods, I'm not entirely sure how this will go. It might create a shitstorm of arguments so if it gets too bad or the idea itself is already a no-go, delete.

I'll start with a simple one. Metal Gear Survive isn't as bad as it's made out to be. It's not good but it's far from the crap storm it's made out to be. It even does some things better than MGSV, like base building and exploration.

Not only that but a few of the issues were completely made up because it's popular to shit on it and it brings in views to youtubers.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I really like Resident Evil 6. It's an amazing coop game, for sure, but the gameplay is really fun and gives the player a lot of options for how they tackle things. As well, its Mercenaries mode is one of the best.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PC ports of story based and traditionally PlayStation exclusive titles is harmful to PlayStation, it's overall growth and future in gaming and lessens the need to buy one of their consoles.... similar to how putting games on PC hurt Xbox.

Sony doesn't own a PC operating system or global cloud infrastructure and so the idea that a 'gaming anywhere' strategy would be beneficial for them is nonsense.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan needs to go asap!
He only cares about Call of Duty. Playstation fanboys are praising him as a hero but I am seeing him only damaging Sony’s reputation. If he is allowed to continue to rule over PlayStation division, he will drag Sony into the abyss.

We need a Japanese CEO back at the top of SIE.
Jim Ryan: 'Our Business Would Never Recover' If Microsoft Degraded Call of Duty on PlayStation
This statement is pretty desperate by him, I hope Sony fires him after ABK is closed. We need Urata Keiichiro as CEO. 5734DBC6-D5AE-4DC7-97F0-0E1ABE70025A.jpeg

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Jim Ryan needs to go asap!
He only cares about Call of Duty. Playstation fanboys are praising him as a hero but I am seeing him only damaging Sony’s reputation. If he is allowed to continue to rule over PlayStation division, he will drag Sony into the abyss.

We need a Japanese CEO back at the top of SIE.
Jim Ryan: 'Our Business Would Never Recover' If Microsoft Degraded Call of Duty on PlayStation
This statement is pretty desperate by him, I hope Sony fires him after ABK is closed. We need Urata Keiichiro as CEO. View attachment 977
The reason why jim is focusing on call of duty is because that is what can stop the acquisition, sony shareholders no doubt will be supportive of this as that is the strongest argument they have right now.

The "he only cares about call of duty" and him being "desperate" are lines the microsoft shills are using and i'd hope folks here would see through that. It ignores the substance of sonys argument and focuses on quotes taken out of context.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Consoles would be much better off if Xbox had never existed.

PC is much better because MS was distracted with Xbox.

Sony is dumb for not protecting their PC releases with Denuvo and their games get pirated like no other.

Nintendo weak hardware is a mistake and will eventually cost them a lot.

The Series S is not only the worst Xbox but one of the worst hardware decision of all time.

Phil Spencer is the worst executive in the history of any console manufacturer and destroyed Xbox internal studios since he was put in charge of them. If not for MS spending 80B this would be obvious to anyone.

Horizon is being milked to death and it's not all that.

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The reason why jim is focusing on call of duty is because that is what can stop the acquisition, sony shareholders no doubt will be supportive of this as that is the strongest argument they have right now.

The "he only cares about call of duty" and him being "desperate" are lines the microsoft shills are using and i'd hope folks here would see through that. It ignores the substance of sonys argument and focuses on quotes taken out of context.
But not to this extent. This statement he made is a blow to all of Sony’s own studios and partners. The PlayStation 1 sold 90 million consoles. The PS2 sold nearly 160 million consoles, all accomplished without the help of COD. They just need to create another reasons for people to buy their console, then they can dive into similar spheres like PS2 era.
That a CEO says their whole business is dependent on a single 3rd Party IP is really desperate. Sony doesn’t need this crap.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
I think this generation has been a lackluster shit show.
Jim Ryans only redeeming quality is that he's a fan of cats.
Phil Spencer has had to much time to redeem a dying brand and needs to be replaced.

• brain
Reactions: laynelane

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
But not to this extent. This statement he made is a blow to all of Sony’s own studios and partners. The PlayStation 1 sold 90 million consoles. The PS2 sold nearly 160 million consoles, all accomplished without the help of COD. They just need to create another reasons for people to buy their console, then they can dive into similar spheres like PS2 era.
That a CEO says their whole business is dependent on a single 3rd Party IP is really desperate. Sony doesn’t need this crap.

I don't see that being a blow to other sony studios, again this is another talking point the microsft shills are feeding to people on twitter and other forums. We need to see past that.

What he is saying isn't wrong. There is alot of people who play call of duty on playstation, if microsoft degraded the ps version then those customer would look to other platforms and and question why i'm playing a worse version. If those users did leave the ecosystem due to this, sony wouldn't have a way to keep them, so that specific part of their buisness would not really recover, doesn't mean their entire buisness and studios are done for.

Reactions: laynelane

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

PS1 was over 100 million....

I have many reservations about Jim too but he has to emphasize how it would hurt PlayStation for the regulators... I don't think he intended anyone outside to hear what he said but it is being strategically leaked to hurt PlayStation....

As I was saying in another thread I made, Sony PR is very lackluster and they don't act fast enough or hard enough to people saying negative stuff about them.

I do think a Japanese CEO would be better, one more focused on their walled garden and making Japan the home base again.... play from their base of strength.

I think several things Jim did were wrong.... increasing game prices when most games sold are digital, increasing console prices in Europe when Xbox are trying to gain ground there and going into a recession price would be more enticing.

Buying port studios and wasting money on stock buybacks (Sony overall decision) instead of buying a publisher..

The GAAS focus seems like a really bad use of studios like ND....who are built to make single player narrative games.... they should have just bought Bungie and one or two other really good studios that are experts in GAAS and let that be that.

Sony's UK studios seem to be their weakest and I don't understand the continued investment in UK, their money would go much further elsewhere...... IMO

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I don't see that being a blow to other sony studios, again this is another talking point the microsft shills are feeding to people on twitter and other forums. We need to see past that.

What he is saying isn't wrong. There is alot of people who play call of duty on playstation, if microsoft degraded the ps version then those customer would look to other platforms and and question why i'm playing a worse version. If those users did leave the ecosystem due to this, sony wouldn't have a way to keep them, so that specific part of their buisness would not really recover, doesn't mean their entire buisness and studios are done for.
Jim Ryan could have done some counter measurements instead of fighting a pointless fight. As it seems the deal will be approved, so Sony needs to move on.

In this time they could have bought Square Enix, and maybe later Capcom. Would have been perfect while Microsoft is stuck with ABK. They could have easily used ABK as an argument for buying Square Enix and Capcom.

Reactions: Bryank75

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Jim Ryan could have done some counter measurements instead of fighting a pointless fight. As it seems the deal will be approved, so Sony needs to move on.
How is this a pointless fight? If jim had given up last year, the regulators would have probably approved this without very little concessions as there would not have been strong opposition. Sony are it's biggest opposition and have forced microsoft to offer more then they would have given, otherwise microsft would hold all the cards and steam rolled them.

I don't understand this whole sony needs to move on why? Because sony can't fight this acquisition and run their buisness at the same time? Sony is a massive organisation they can do those 2 things at once.

Again saying the deal is gonna be approved without hearing anything from the CMA is taking talking points from twitter, why do you think CMA asked third parties like sony for a response after the removal of the console SLC? As a joke? They asked cause they are still looking for evidence that market could still be harmed by this acquisition. At present they are still preferring divestiture or prohibiton as there preferred remedies, that could change obviously but that is their current stance.

You guys really need to stay away from twitter shills and other shill forums, this is the problem.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
N
Consoles would be much better of if Xbox had never existed.

PC is much better because MS was distracted with Xbox.

Sony is dumb for not protecting their PC releases with Denuvo and their games get pirated like no other.

Nintendo weak hardware is a mistake and will eventually cost them a lot.

The Series S is not only the worst Xbox but one of the worst hardware decision of all time.

Phil Spencer is the worst executive in the history of any console manufacturer and destroyed Xbox internal studios since he was out in charge of them. If not for MS spending 80B this would be obvious to anyone.

Horizon is being milked to death and it's not all that.
Most of your stuff is not controversial, and I agree with most of them.