Your Unpopular(?) Gaming Opinions thread

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
JRPG's became very out of fashion when 360 was the console in the lead, I think people forget that....and it wasn't anything to do with how good or bad the games were, MISFT / Xbox just controlled what was in focus very well and made some things far less popular on purpose.

It has always been the way with Xbox, they want gaming to be centred around american culture and american companies, so they have full control. It's not about art or different experiences, it's all about control and monetization.
Not only JRPGs, pretty much every Japanese publisher struggled during the PS360 days.

Looking back the PS360 was a pretty bad generation compared to the PS4 gen with a lot of negative trends emerging like paywalls, paid online, the beginning of micro transactions, greedy DLCs, gimmicks like the Kinect/Wiimote/Move, awful image quality and performance. The best thing from that gen was Sony finally becoming a powerhouse publisher.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
PS1 was over 100 million....

I have many reservations about Jim too but he has to emphasize how it would hurt PlayStation for the regulators... I don't think he intended anyone outside to hear what he said but it is being strategically leaked to hurt PlayStation....

As I was saying in another thread I made, Sony PR is very lackluster and they don't act fast enough or hard enough to people saying negative stuff about them.

I do think a Japanese CEO would be better, one more focused on their walled garden and making Japan the home base again.... play from their base of strength.

I think several things Jim did were wrong.... increasing game prices when most games sold are digital, increasing console prices in Europe when Xbox are trying to gain ground there and going into a recession price would be more enticing.

Buying port studios and wasting money on stock buybacks (Sony overall decision) instead of buying a publisher..

The GAAS focus seems like a really bad use of studios like ND....who are built to make single player narrative games.... they should have just bought Bungie and one or two other really good studios that are experts in GAAS and let that be that.

Sony's UK studios seem to be their weakest and I don't understand the continued investment in UK, their money would go much further elsewhere...... IMO
I am worried about ND and GAAS. Once their game becomes successful, they won't go back to single player. Successful GAAS games need 1000s of developers to be maintained. People here should forget about that "2nd team making single player game" fantasy.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan could have done some counter measurements instead of fighting a pointless fight. As it seems the deal will be approved, so Sony needs to move on.

In this time they could have bought Square Enix, and maybe later Capcom. Would have been perfect while Microsoft is stuck with ABK. They could have easily used ABK as an argument for buying Square Enix and Capcom.
The deal will be approved and future Sony acquisitions of any publisher will be blocked.

• thinking_hard

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
No Way Cat GIF

Anyone and everyone better leave Capcom alone!
If Sony doesn't acquire Capcom, Microsoft will do. You know which acquisition is gonna fuck Capcom.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I am worried about ND and GAAS. Once their game becomes successful, they won't go back to single player. Successful GAAS games need 1000s of developers to be maintained. People here should forget about that "2nd team making single player game" fantasy.
Look at R* to see the damage GaaS success can cause. We are lucky we got RDR2 before R* pretty much died.

The deal will be approved and future Sony acquisitions of any publisher will be blocked.
There ain't going to be no blocking of any future Sony acquisition when they'll have a fraction of the devs that their competitor with way less market share has. It's like blocking google from having as much engineers as Bing just because Google is far more successful in the search business.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
During the Xbox 360 days, Microsoft was trying to make their console the go-to choice for gamers. They wanted to promote games that were more popular with western audiences, which meant games that were super Japanese or niche were often ignored. As a result, JRPGs that were only available on PlayStation 3 didn't get as much attention, even though they were really popular and well-liked by fans.

This wasn't helped by the media, who often catered to western gaming tastes and didn't give JRPGs the same amount of coverage as other genres. This made people think that JRPGs weren't as cool or as good as other types of games, which made it harder for them to sell in the west.

This had a big impact on the sales of JRPGs and other Japanese companies. They weren't able to reach as many people, and as a result, their games didn't sell as well as they could have. It was kind of a bummer for fans of JRPGs, this is why i will never trust Microsoft or buy one of their products.

Which is why I think it's a bit rich of the Senators representing MSFT to NOW point at Sony and Japan as being anti-competitive in that region... it cuts both ways.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Huh? What's the reasoning? Just that Sony has a bigger market share?

I agree that regulators are either incompetent or corrupt though if they let this through and dont let Sony.
The idea that healthy competition is regulators ensuring market share parity is absurd. The problem with MS publisher acquisitions is that they are levering their size to pretty much buy up an entire market and push a unsustainable business model that goes against what the consumer have chosen.

Sony should've pushed regulators to force MS to prove that Xbox business model makes any sense without them cornering the market.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
A decade ago I thought MS should have out 360 tech into just fucking everything, like made it free to tv makers, car makers, etc. Its kind of too expensive now but in a few years either MS or Sony should look into that again, let other manufacturers put your old tech (PS4/XB0) in their systems at no cost, and then make money off of online store sales.

That original idea was based on the idea that normies liked the 6th gen and were fine with it continuing, though, which was wrong.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Huh? What's the reasoning? Just that Sony has a bigger market share?

I agree that regulators are either incompetent or corrupt though if they let this through and dont let Sony.
regulators are corrupt 😊.
logic, evidence and facts will not work with them. Double standards in the west is nothing new, but became very prominent in last few years.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Bryank75

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Americans love the N64 but its really a bit shit same as gamecube

Americans on reddit and social media seem to have this weird obsession with both the n64 and gamecube, even though the Psone and 2 were better in almost every single way.

They keep talking about reviving dead unpopular franchises like Fzero,Banjo and Star Fox that most people just don't care about.

I feel like Nintendo fans on Forums are a very vocal minority.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Americans on reddit and social media seem to have this weird obsession with both the n64 and gamecube, even though the Psone and 2 were better in almost every single way.

They keep talking about reviving dead unpopular franchises like Fzero,Banjo and Star Fox that most people just don't care about.

I feel like Nintendo fans on Forums are a very vocal minority.

They have their own place now... Famiboards, seems very active.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
You wish so.
Second western regulators can do shit in Japan. If Sony gets Square Enix and Capcom, it will be for Japanese government and JFTC to decide. Zenimax and Activision getting reviewed globally because both have many studios worldwide, on nearly each continent. Square Enix and Capcom are both full Japanese, without western studios. Offices in the west don’t count because they are mainly for marketing, localisation and distribution.

Reactions: Umar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
PC is inferior as a platform to console.

Console is a dedicated machine for gaming, thus superior for that given task in almost every way.
Strongly disagree. PC is a pretty damn good platform but as of recently all the poor ports are making it so that PS5 is just a superior platform for AAA games to most people. MS is probably at fault here since DX12 and Windows both suck.

The Steam Deck is a great example of how awesome PC can be.

Last edited: