Hating things is ok, feelings brands do not have

You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
The Division 1/2 downgraded my ability to play them because I am no good at maths and all the numbers got too big. Eventually telling the ex "I don't care how many levels higher the boss is, the guns with more numbers don't react/move/feel the same and I can't seem to just stick on this gun and level it up, just cover me".

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I don't know what they're called, but I fucking hate slow-motion, pseudo-pause menu, "weapon/spell wheels" for switching between during fights.
Screenshot 2023-08-18 080726.png
I think TLOU has it right, where all weapons/bombs are on the Dpad for quick switching. Wider in match activities like healing or crafting are further out on the Dpad dial, and finally upgrade/loadout stuff is in the actual pause menu.

I can't find a picture of the Dpad dial to show what I mean, but I feel like something recently has a very similar weapon/item switcher Dpad menu too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
When did Days Gone release? That poor game got so many hit pieces done on it before it was even out the door. The perfect kind of game to refine and improve in sequels. Hell, people say to skip Uncharted 1 these days. Days Gone needs another shot. If you're never going to do that, add motorcycle and hoarde mechanics into TLOU, and try something new. Don't just let it all die out.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I never got around to playing it before it died, but Scavengers looked good to me. I wanted to get around to this at some point. I like the idea of pvp collecting supplies, but with infected running amuck faffing things up for both sides. People been wanting that since TLOU's release as a game mode for Factions.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
If the industry would parlay little trailer showcase events at regular cadence (thinking of last year's October SH+RE combo) over into rolling Dev Diaries of regular cadence, I'd be a lot happier.

Games Journalism could take on more discussion and debate form, rather than dwell on rumors and clickbate and false outrage, as there'd be more positive news in form of game updates.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I still prefer full-sized arrow keys and the UK double-row enter key. Becoming harder to find in laptops or keyboards these days.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Iterative improvements eventually get us standardized/tweaked quality of life improvements throughout other games.

E.g. It's nice to have TLOU punch lasers in 2013, but you could say it started a bit earlier with something like splinter cell conviction's interrogations.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Controller Preferences, what's yours?

1. PS4
- Better than the bulky PS5 pad.

2. Sega MD 6 button
- I only have experience with first gen UK Saturn pad which was ass! Something about SEGA's Dpad and face buttons that just felt right. I hate playing SEGA games on another main console's pad.

3. Xbox 360
- Best XB pad ever!

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy rom hack has completely negated the first 3/U/T for me.

As far as I know it's MK1-Trilogy compiled, but without going too far into custom characters and overboard custom moves territory. It's somewhat cathartic.

Similar to Streets Of Rage Remake, I no longer play official SOR 1-3, and I dislike the official SOR4. Wish I was written in an engine that could be more easily ported around.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I dislike the padded-out game design of today's 7 year development time "epic games". I used to think this was MTX design philosophy creeping in, oh they'll buy stamina boosts or red gems for this instead of finding them out in the world. But so many games have leapfrogged even that, to where I'd perfer to buy the cosmetics or time saving currencies myself instead of randomized loot boxes, or randomised what's-in-the-shop-window-today carousels.

Sequels tend to get more stocked with more busy work, and stupid fake progression mechanics. "you cant enter this cave Lara, until you trapse back here with grenades in 3 hours."

Or even worse things like Dead Island 1, "you can pick this wepon up, but you cant use it until you're level 40, tough titties for you, go maximize your arm stamina or something." I don't mind waiting until, say, level 5 for the story to introduce a better gun to me, but when it does I want to be able to shoot it without being artificially crippled, let's say because my shooting proficiency stat isn't leveled up. Games used-to be funner to actually play. Though admittedly, in this example, I'm glad later Dead Island/Dying Light games removed that restriction. Now I'll gladly follow along with my brothers, gifted a level 150 electrified axe or some shit like that.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I still think Eight Days has its own flair and could come out today with better graphics. It looks fun.

Somewhat related, but Sony do have someone working on The Getaway reboot/GTA Online style online game, yes?

If Sony want to talk GAAS/Online games, the fact that they haven't got Destiny flanked by soft launch re-releases/remasters/remakes and on into online/gaas versions of SOCOM, TLOU Factions, MAG (do they own MAG?), The Getaway Online is criminal. With some buys or marketing deals can throw MGS Online or RE Outbreak scenarios/living world games with familiar locations and party/resource management, like state of decay.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
When did Days Gone release? That poor game got so many hit pieces done on it before it was even out the door. The perfect kind of game to refine and improve in sequels. Hell, people say to skip Uncharted 1 these days. Days Gone needs another shot. If you're never going to do that, add motorcycle and hoarde mechanics into TLOU, and try something new. Don't just let it all die out.

I never understood why a lot of internet forum users seemed to act like it's some underrated gem. Days Gone felt like an asset flip unreal engine 4 game, it was so bland and low budget. Terrible scene transitions,story,gameplay and a very forgettable soundtrack.

It also came to the open world/zombie game way too late.

Bend needs to go back to making Syphon Filter games, one of those with the production value of Uncharted 4 would be great