yuzu will pay $2.4 million in damages to Nintendo to settle their lawsuit

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
Nintendo has every right to protect their copyright and IP from PC pirates.

I really hope the law is reformed to outright ban emulators so you pirates can stop using this flimsy argument.

Just get a job and buy the games like an adult.
I have a job

I buy the games like an adult

I like running the Switch games I own on Yuzu

that is not illegal

stop being jelly that I'm running ToTK at 4K 120 FPS

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Complete coincidence that the biggest Sony port beggar is also advocating for piracy.

I always thought this was pretty clear cut: an emulator existing is not a problem, tons of them exist without a problem. An emulator or the group of people creating it not only providing information on how to pirate games but how to obtain said stuff... Yeah, that's the problem.

Just look at how many Nintendo related emulators exist and have existed for well over a decade without a problem.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Complete coincidence that the biggest Sony port beggar is also advocating for piracy.

I always thought this was pretty clear cut: an emulator existing is not a problem, tons of them exist without a problem. An emulator or the group of people creating it not only providing information on how to pirate games but how to obtain said stuff... Yeah, that's the problem.

Just look at how many Nintendo related emulators exist and have existed for well over a decade without a problem.
This is a pretty flimsy justification. Yuzu wasn't targeted because people provided information (not illegal) but because it's the biggest Switch emulator. If the issue is people providing information, please tell me how this stops that? Those people can go into an emulation discord, or make a website, or post on Twitter, and keep doing exactly that. So "the problem" with Yuzu distinct from other emulators won't go away or change, pretty emasculated outcome for the anti-emulation crowd here.

• they're_right_you_know

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is a pretty flimsy justification. Yuzu wasn't targeted because people provided information (not illegal) but because it's the biggest Switch emulator. If the issue is people providing information, please tell me how this stops that? Those people can go into an emulation discord, or make a website, or post on Twitter, and keep doing exactly that. So "the problem" with Yuzu distinct from other emulators won't go away or change, pretty emasculated outcome for the anti-emulation crowd here.
@Dr Bass has provided more than enough information. This conversation keeps going around in circles because people didn't bother to read what he mentioned.

This covers it. Until people understand that this is beyond just "creating an emulator" this conversation won't move forward.

Reactions: ethomaz

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is probably mandarin, I'm sure.

Yuzu's developers also faced some relatively distinct allegations of aiding and acknowledging potential Switch pirates through various communication channels, including bragging about successfully emulating leaked Switch games before their release date. "I've personally experienced how strict most emulator communities/discord servers/forums are regarding copyright and piracy, so it's really weird to me that Yuzu devs wouldn't be like that," emulator developer Lycoder told Ars last week.

This is probably Cantonese

Nintendo's lawsuit makes extensive reference to the Quickstart Guide that Yuzu provides on its own distribution site. That guide gives detailed instructions on how to "start playing commercial games" with Yuzu by hacking your (older) Switch to dump decryption keys and/or game files. That guide also includes links to a number of external tools that directly break console and/or game encryption techniques.

Through these instructions, Nintendo argues, "the Yuzu developers brazenly acknowledge that using Yuzu necessitates hacking or breaking into a Nintendo Switch." Nintendo also points to a Yuzu Discord server where emulator developers and users discuss how to get copyrighted games running on the emulator, as well as publicly released telemetry data that shows the developers were aware of widespread use of their emulator for piracy (as the Yuzu devs wrote in June 2023, "Tears of the Kingdom is by far the most played game on Yuzu").

Had they not done these very stupid things and they would be fine, like many other emulators. But they had to try and be smarter by literally posting guides on how to pirate. That's why they got fucked.

Reactions: ethomaz

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
@Dr Bass has provided more than enough information. This conversation keeps going around in circles because people didn't bother to read what he mentioned.

This covers it. Until people understand that this is beyond just "creating an emulator" this conversation won't move forward.
None of what is covered in that post has anything to do with the comment I replied to.

• they're_right_you_know

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
None of what is covered in that post has anything to do with the comment I replied to.
It does though? It's very simple: they got fucked for the same reasons Dr Bass mentioned. But I pulled some more info.

A rule as old as time: if you're providing an emulator, you don't provide instructions on where to get your roms, your firmware, and how to hack into games. You provide the emulator and that's it.

Nintendo could have targeted all they wanted, but similar to dolphin, they would have not sued them because they would have nothing to stand on. Zero. They could threaten, he'll they could have their CEO call them out in public, but they would do fuck all

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Most of that is innuendo, mocking us for not knowing their obvious evils but not saying what the evils are. Nothing in that snippet would be illegal even if true.

Reading about the lawsuit. There is case after case here talking about how Yuzu discouraged TotK on Yuzu discussion, and that they took all the normal precautions against supporting "piracy". Nintendo doesn't allege anything beyond it either. They are using weaselly tech jargon like "decryption" incorrectly to spread the false idea that Yuzu has violated Nintendo DMCA protections. It's not the case. Ultimately Nintendo's beef boils down to the emulation is too good.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Most of that is innuendo, mocking us for not knowing their obvious evils but not saying what the evils are. Nothing in that snippet would be illegal even if true.

Reading about the lawsuit. There is case after case here talking about how Yuzu discouraged TotK on Yuzu discussion, and that they took all the normal precautions against supporting "piracy". Nintendo doesn't allege anything beyond it either. They are using weaselly tech jargon like "decryption" incorrectly to spread the false idea that Yuzu has violated Nintendo DMCA protections. It's not the case. Ultimately Nintendo's beef boils down to the emulation is too good.

Why do you have such a vendetta against Nintendo?

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
What did Yuzu steal? Nothing. "Enabling stealing" is not a crime. You are not responsible for the actions of criminals.
They actually pirated games themselves for usage in debugging and improving their emulator so it's ready for big releases like Super Mario Wonder or TOTK.

You would expect the games to release first then the emulator takes weeks or months to get the games working decently on there, but these guys got it done in record time, how could that happen except through the usage of illegal copies?

Read the documents it's all in there.

EDIT: The other thing is, the Bleem case indeed makes emulators legal, but the newer consoles have complex software encryptions in place, and breaking those is a federal offense under the DMCA (with fair use exceptions as determined by the Library of Congress). Even decrypting your own personal copy is illegal under the DMCA.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I have a job

I buy the games like an adult

I like running the Switch games I own on Yuzu

that is not illegal

stop being jelly that I'm running ToTK at 4K 120 FPS
Running the game ilegally on pc ( you arent suppose to play game like zelda tok or mario wonders on pc cos nintendo dont officially release the game on that platform)

Advocating his viewers to follow to do the same

Getting patreon money from it

Absolutely in the wrong this yuzu guy

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Running the game ilegally on pc ( you arent suppose to play game like zelda tok or mario wonders on pc cos nintendo dont officially release the game on that platform)

Advocating his viewers to follow to do the same

Getting patreon money from it

Absolutely in the wrong this yuzu guy
Do you think MS should take the position that Proton is illegal because "you aren't supposed to play game like halo or starfield on linux cos MS don't officially release the game on that platform"?

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
"you arent suppose to play game on pc cos nintendo dont officially release the game on that platform"

Oh what a compelling, well thought out, big-brained reply.

SCEA v Connectix and SCEA v Bleem are legal precedent that say you are wrong.

Same goes for Lewis Galoob v Nintendo.

Emulation.

Is.

Legal.
EDIT: The other thing is, the Bleem case indeed makes emulators legal, but the newer consoles have complex software encryptions in place, and breaking those is a federal offense under the DMCA (with fair use exceptions as determined by the Library of Congress). Even decrypting your own personal copy is illegal under the DMCA.
That decryption can fall under fair use just like the use of a BIOS dump, for the same reason. Even if the Nintendo lawyers could successfully argue that it didn't, it's up to the user to acquire the decryption keys. The emulator developer can't be held responsible for that.

Last edited:

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
"you arent suppose to play game on pc cos nintendo dont officially release the game on that platform"

Oh what a compelling, well thought out, big-brained reply.

Is.

Legal.
Well actually yes it is a well thought out big brained reply cos the correct way to play mario wonders, zelda tok etc are on nintendo system

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Sans_titre.jpg