yuzu will pay $2.4 million in damages to Nintendo to settle their lawsuit

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
Yep. Yuzu settled for millions of dollars and will shut down because they were operating 100% legally. Clearly, this makes loads of sense. They should have hired you to be their lawyer because you surely would have won this case for them.

Do you remember the "Hackintosh" lawsuits by chance?

This is all really clear cut, even if PC dorks who love to steal don't seem to understand.
they settled because nintendo was never looking to win a lawsuit here, even if anti-emulation dorks don't seem to understand that corporations can bully the little guy using the legal system even if their lawsuit is bullshit

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
So Yuzu is dead, right? There's no way they continue working on the emulator now.

It's a fucking tragedy. Anyone who says "b-b-but piracy!" is being extremely shortsighted.

Edit: Oh, wow, yeah. It's totally dead. This sets a terrifying precedent. Emulation is (basically) illegal now. Good luck to anyone wanting to start a project now, because if a company wants to shut you down, they will and fast.
that’s what you get when you charge for an emulator and allow people to play an unreleased game before launch day

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
there's no gray area. this is legal activity. it's 100% legal to get paid for it. Dolphin could have been sold for profit on Steam, and it's only because of a gentleman's agreement between Valve and Nintendo that it was removed. That's not a legal precedent.
How is this legally interpreted? Since an emulator allows one to play pirated software, how would that work? Claiming that players would only play their backed-up games only or something along those lines?

Someone had to have done some research on this.

Reactions: Airbus

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
How is this legally interpreted? Since an emulator allows one to play pirated software, how would that work? Claiming that players would only play their backed-up games only or something along those lines?

Not just playing pirated games this yuzu guy also advocating his viewer to follow him to do the same and getting patreon money from it hes taking advantage of the whole situation

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

I already posted the research, it's Sony's lawsuit against Bleem!. Bleem won.

Emulators are not responsible for the copyright infringement of their users.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Emulators are liable if they fail to properly discourage their users from piracy.

Which is a good point to remind everyone that IconEra does not approve of piracy.

Reactions: Sircaw
OP
OP
John Elden Ring

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
They knew they couldn't win this in court.

Sad that Nintendo won, but after so many people downloaded ToTK on Yuzu it was bound to happen.

Nintendo killing emulation so they can sell you two gen old games and hardware in the current gen for full price.

Nah, Nintendo never cared about game preservation.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Ahh, so that's how it works. As long as there's no direct involvement with actual software distribution, it's legal.

One of the biggest reasons I own a PC is to emulate older games we no longer have access to. I don't support emulating new games people have full access to but will always support people preserving older titles. Especially when these companies themselves refuse to port/make them available. Hell, an emulator allows me to play my favorite MP game that got shut down in 2012. With full content.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Emulators are liable if they fail to properly discourage their users from piracy.

Which is a good point to remind everyone that IconEra does not approve of piracy.
Please point me to anything substantiating this. It would be totally incoherent. Emulation of game consoles is far from the only or even most popular form of software emulation. Would Apple be liable if a user used Rosetta to play an infringing copy of PC Ratchet and Clank?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Ahh, so that's how it works. As long as there's no direct involvement with actual software distribution, it's legal.

One of the biggest reasons I own a PC is to emulate older games we no longer have access to. I don't support emulating new games people have full access to but will always support people preserving older titles. Especially when these companies themselves refuse to port/make them available. Hell, an emulator allows me to play my favorite MP game that got shut down in 2012. With full content.
Yes, emulation is good and an extremely important contribution to the overall gaming culture.

Even if you "don't support emulating new games", you'd have to support the development of contemporary emulators to be consistent with the rest of your post.

And again, I don't think there's a good argument for gamers to be concerned with copyright infringement at all. Everything in your self interest is for strong legal protection on the side of the emulators, encryption crackers, and even distributors of infringing material. On the other side, against your interests as an individual is the corporate copyright holder.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My simple opinion.

Yuzu is illegal.

You will ask why?

Because it doesn't force the user to own the game he wants to play.
It basically doesn't have any mechanics to validate the user using it has a legal copy of the game.
That makes it illegal.

And more it is incentive indirectly priracy via YT, Twitter, Pateon and more.

How do you do a non illegal emulator?

Simple.
Add any mechanisms to check if the user has a legal copy of the game.
Like reading the own Nintendo game cards and checking their legality.

But Yuzu cared about that? No.
It was malicious using others properties to get money from users.

The last question and most important.

Why Yuzu didn't focus in legal emulations with checks to see if the user has a legal copy of the game?

Because they won't get money with legal emulators.

• haha