Are you getting the PS5Pro? Why or why not?

Will you be getting a PS5Pro

• Yes

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Maybe down the line.

Votes: 10 14.1%

• Total voters
24 Jun 2022
I would like to. Price isn’t a factor so much because I could probably sell my current ps5 to a friend or family member but anything more than 649 would give me pause. It’d also probably be a hard no if there isn’t an option for a disc drive.

There'll 100% be an option for a disc drive, when even the new PS5 digital offers the option.

My own personal hang-up is more in weighing a PS5 Pro against a decent PC if virtually all 3P are prioritizing PC for Day 1 releases, MS already do PC for Day 1, Sony continue porting all their 1P to PC with the same windows or even shorter windows (or even Day 1), AND Sony's 1P isn't expanding enough in variety to make up for once-exclusive 3P games going multiplatform.

Because the combination of all that happening would make a PS5 Pro unnecessary to me, especially since I don't have a case of FOMO for many games.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I'll try to get it day 1 but it isn't officially pre ordered in my country so the prices are guaranteed to be scalper levels. But I'll get this one even down the line.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
There'll 100% be an option for a disc drive, when even the new PS5 digital offers the option.

My own personal hang-up is more in weighing a PS5 Pro against a decent PC if virtually all 3P are prioritizing PC for Day 1 releases, MS already do PC for Day 1, Sony continue porting all their 1P to PC with the same windows or even shorter windows (or even Day 1), AND Sony's 1P isn't expanding enough in variety to make up for once-exclusive 3P games going multiplatform.

Because the combination of all that happening would make a PS5 Pro unnecessary to me, especially since I don't have a case of FOMO for many games.
of course it will come with disc. it will be 2 versions, the as Slim 2 versions.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I think the current model is powerful enough as is but it's pretty evident that some of these game studios cannot get their act together when it comes to delivering good performance modes for their games. The pro should help with this.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I have a feeling I'm going to be done with playstation soon (totoki will destroy it & he's picking who's going to be the new leader) , I'm going retro only after stellar blade

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Absolutely day 1 for me. Every gen I end up with 2 PlayStation's, 1 for the livingroom and 1 for my bedroom and one of those mine as well be a Pro :)

Reactions: Jim Ryan

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
The current one seems fine to me, with the introduction of things like FSR3 and the like I really don't see the point.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
Day 1. Unreal Engine 5 games are not going to fare very well on vanilla PS5 hardware and I refuse to play sub-60 FPS games in 2024.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
Had all the PS consoles from the very beginning and never sold one but this time I'm thinking I might as well trade in my day 1 ps5 as we've already got 2. Should probably get rid of the xbox at the same time since it's never been switched on since GPU expired and I'm not paying full price for that crap now the cheap 3 years is gone. Hmm, I've actually not turned the Switch on for over a year so maybe I could get rid of all 3 and get a very cheap Pro lol.

The current one seems fine to me, with the introduction of things like FSR3 and the like I really don't see the point.
You're not wrong in that the base ps5 is a very strong console, but it'll be 4 years old when the Pro launches. For someone who claims to own a 4090 and has offered more than their share of PCMR rhetoric since joining a few days ago, how exactly do you justify base ps5 being "fine"? Doesn't add up.

Especially now the specs are out I've seen a few insecure, salty super-fans of another console platform try to downplay the need for a mid-gen refresh because in all likelihood they're not getting one this time, just a cost-cutting redesign with identical specs - a slim basically. That's par for the course, just fanbois being fanbois. But for someone who apparently knows the benefits of owning the most powerful gaming GPU out there to say that there's no point to a Pro... because FSR3...?! Lol. Couldn't be more blatant what your game is here.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
You're not wrong in that the base ps5 is a very strong console, but it'll be 4 years old when the Pro launches. For someone who claims to own a 4090 and has offered more than their share of PCMR rhetoric since joining a few days ago, how exactly do you justify base ps5 being "fine"? Doesn't add up.

Especially now the specs are out I've seen a few insecure, salty super-fans of another console platform try to downplay the need for a mid-gen refresh because in all likelihood they're not getting one this time, just a cost-cutting redesign with identical specs - a slim basically. That's par for the course, just fanbois being fanbois. But for someone who apparently knows the benefits of owning the most powerful gaming GPU out there to say that there's no point to a Pro... because FSR3...?! Lol. Couldn't be more blatant what your game is here
It's simple really, rendering technologies such as DLSS and FSR have started to become so good that the traditional native resolutions don't need to be even remotely targeted anymore.

You can get near native render quality for half the rendering cost not to mention frame generation exists now which is a huge game changer.

When these systems are already pushing a reconstructed 4K image there doesn't seem to be a large need for a replacement system. This isn't like last generation where we were transitory from 1080p to 4K and updated hardware was required to meet that demand.

I own the best hardware because I don't only play games, I do a decent amount of 3D work and I'm running VR applications on a 5K HMD which requires not only the horsepower but also the large amount of VRAM headroom.

I don't find it to be useless, I find it to be much less of a necessity than the Pro was for the generation prior as a result of rendering enhancements and the lack of an intrinsic need.

Blatant enough for you?

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
Blatant enough for you?
Not really, no.

You used a lot of words to say how cool your PC is (as any self-respecting PCMR always should at any opportunity) yet you failed to explain why a base PS5 is still fine when the new Pro console contains exactly the kinds of image-reconstruction hardware and AI-assistance you think has been so welcome in recent years.

PSSR allows an 1800P/30 base ps5 game to run at 1440P/60 for comparable image quality. Literally double the performance of the base console. And that's "fine" to stick with?

Pfft.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Not really, no.

You used a lot of words to say how cool your PC is (as any self-respecting PCMR always should at any opportunity) yet you failed to explain why a base PS5 is still fine when the new Pro console contains exactly the kinds of image-reconstruction hardware and AI-assistance you think has been so welcome in recent years.

PSSR allows an 1800P/30 base ps5 game to run at 1440P/60 for comparable image quality. Literally double the performance of the base console. And that's "fine" to stick with?

Pfft.
What do you mean I didn't explain? You didn't even read my post LOL

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not really, no.

Pfft.
DLSS, RT, frame generation on PC? Great stuff, superior technology, thank you NVidia.

Sony shows up with their own take? Unnecessary, not worth it, no point, anti-consumer, greedy, arrogant.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
DLSS, RT, frame generation on PC? Great stuff, superior technology, thank you NVidia.

Sony shows up with their own take? Unnecessary, not worth it, no point, anti-consumer, greedy, arrogant.
Preach GIF