Assassin's Creed Mirage, Death Stranding and Resident Evil Village are coming to iPhone 15 Pro

Apple is getting serious about gaming

• Good

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Apple Silicon is known for their efficiency, so power won't be an issue. CPU wise, last years A16 Bionic was on par with an i7 13700k while using only 10W TDP, the A17 Pro is supposed to be a big leap. Comparing it to the Steam Deck is an insult
Basically, what I’m trying to say is unless Apple rewrote the laws of physics, there’s just no way. No matter how good the silicon. A phone will never surpass a full sized console, not unless a large amount of time has elapsed.

Take that silicon, possibly, *out* of a phone and into a box and things might be different although I still have my doubts. That’s where M2 and the like take over.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Basically, what I’m trying to say is unless Apple rewrote the laws of physics, there’s just no way. No matter how good the silicon. A phone will never surpass a full sized console, not unless a large amount of time has elapsed.

Take that silicon, possibly, *out* of a phone and into a box and things might be different although I still have my doubts. That’s where M2 and the like take over.
Read up on Apple’s chips more.

The A Bionic series processors are more powerful than some desktop chips, and the plains series are better than most laptops, all while having much better thermal efficiency.

X86-derivative chips have basically sat around with their thumbs up their asses for 20 years or more while Apple has made a leap in processor design to increase processing power along with power-efficiency and great thermal performance.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Read the thread properly instead of jumping in late, your points have been addressed already.
Still, they stand.

That was not "control", if there was to be control over Death Stranding's distribution on PC it would have been in the contract from the get-go.

As for the previous gen, this is just how it was pretty much all the time for at least 15 years, third party games were timed exclusive by money hat or platform exclusives because the other platform(s) were not viable.

One of the differences between Sony and MS was that Sony was clear from the announcement that a game was real exclusive, console exclusive, timed or not. Where xbox was always trying to muddy the water (what a surprise).

You're just trying to make something out of a giant nothing burger.
Hungry Food GIF

Now, I'm 100% sure that all new exclusivity contracts end up with some "third party subs service" limitations.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

The A Bionic series processors are more powerful than some desktop chips, and the plains series are better than most laptops, all while having much better thermal efficiency.

X86-derivative chips have basically sat around with their thumbs up their asses for 20 years or more while Apple has made a leap in processor design to increase processing power along with power-efficiency and great thermal performance.
I wonder if that will force the next gen consoles to move to ARM, that could be the only way to reach decent performance within a decent thermal envelope \power consumption (and price I guess).

Arc

5 Sep 2023

I will.

But I would simply be locked up in the mental institution repeating ‘ @KiryuRealty and @JAHGamer were right’ over and over again if we actually see an iPhone surpass the consoles before the end of the gen. It’s so contrary to everything we know about size, power requirements, and heat dissipation that I would be shocked.

I suppose it’s theoretically possible. I would dismiss you out of hand if I hadn’t seen Apple Silicon basically run a train on the laptop market with M1 and M2.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I will.

But I would simply be locked up in the mental institution repeating ‘ @KiryuRealty and @JAHGamer were right’ over and over again if we actually see an iPhone surpass the consoles before the end of the gen. It’s so contrary to everything we know about size, power requirements, and heat dissipation that I would be shocked.

I suppose it’s theoretically possible. I would dismiss you out of hand if I hadn’t seen Apple Silicon basically run a train on the laptop market with M1 and M2.
Go to the developer blog for the Dolphin emulator. What the devs found when they experimentally ported the code from X86 to the M1 is almost unbelievable, but I can attest that it’s true.

Reactions: Arc

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Apple foray into gaming? Then always to the same, show a new ipad of Phone and games to show "how powerfull that thing its" then crickets..

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Apple foray into gaming? Then always to the same, show a new ipad of Phone and games to show "how powerfull that thing its" then crickets..
Better have competition than nothing

With xbox showing no progress with their game output and nintendo are more into handheld

The last thing we need is playstation getting complacent

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They don't scream about it in press releases constantly, but they've done a great job for the last few years.

Hell, Dead Cells+ on Apple Arcade runs as well on my Apple TV as the PS5 version runs.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Sony and Apple are pals, Dualsense controller is pretty much the official iPhone controller and they make components for iPhone and the upcoming Apple VR. PlayStation games on iPhone wont hurt PlayStation, they will be late ports like on PC and noone wants to play AAA games on a phone anyways.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sony and Apple are pals, Dualsense controller is pretty much the official iPhone controller and they make components for iPhone and the upcoming Apple VR. PlayStation games on iPhone wont hurt PlayStation, they will be late ports like on PC and noone wants to play AAA games on a phone anyways.
That kind of thing can change very fast.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Wait... random, but I didn't know Kojima owned the Death Stranding IP???

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
He doesn't, Sony does.
Oh, that's what I figured but saw some comments in here stating otherwise.

I know they had signed over the external publishing rights to 505 which is how the game even landed on Game Pass.

But this going to Apple shouldn't even be an issue. They should also consider some of their GaaS games going to iphones in the future

Banana

10 Jan 2023
These Iphones are like what £1000+ fuck that I'm happy with my affordable android phone & I wanna play games on my TV screen with a proper controller 😂
This post here:
I bought a phone from Google like 3 years ago for like less than 40000 yen which is approximately 400 USD then, still work great today. Not sure why anyone need 1000 dollars phone if they gonna upgrade every years.

My wife doesn't give a fuck though, she want fancy new iPhone every years to flex to her collagues.

I don't understand what is to flex, it is the exact same shit everyone has. It is not unique in any capacity.
Women like status. Apple is a status symbol now (lmao remember the 90s?).

I mean look at their advertisements. People actually believe apple has the most powerful chips on the market because they misrepresent their numbers. Performance per watt? Sure.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
In response to the poll, I think it’s a good thing. More competition is better. I have an emotional knee jerk against it, but I can’t cite a logical reason why them getting some AAA games is bad, unless they also join the race to the bottom that is mobile gaming.

What’s interesting about this news to me is:

1: With USB-C, Apple now has access to 4K60 out. They could easily release some kind of dock and controller bundle to let you play these games on the TV. It won’t be comparable to the enthusiast experience, but it will be a cheap way for casual gamers to access gaming.

2: Apple often spreads the love with their chips across their entire lineup for years. A future $129 Apple TV that can play PS4 level games? Quite likely, whether or not people choose to do that.

3: Apple’s GamePass equivalent. Some of these games could end ‘free’ for casuals to dip their toes in, and see if they like it.

4: A pretty mature ecosystem. If you’ve mastered the unholy old magics required for touch gaming to feel okay to you, or you’ve bought yourself an add-on controller or a clip, you could take Death Stranding from iPhone, to future iPad (touch), to Mac or future Apple TV with controller. If you already own all those things, that’s a pretty cool ecosystem of devices to play on, for every scenario.
Did you really say it would be a 'cheap' way for casual gamers to access gaming ... you do know this iPhone costs £1000 & that's only the model with 128gb of storage 🤣 not to mention the fact if you planned on using it as a regular gaming device it'd be dead pretty quickly from the heat it would generate it's not like it would have a good cooling system with its size & form factor 🤣🤣

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
If Apple made a console they would decimate the competition, Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft wouldn't be able to compete. But I don't think they ever would since they can just throw an M2 or A17 Pro chip into an Apple TV and call it a day. They already make more from gaming than Nintendo and Xbox as it is without even trying.
& I'd be out of modern gaming forever fuck giving apple any of my money

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
This is good, now not only we have to be concerned about games having their scope limited by the series shit, we also have to be concerned that games will start to be designed with a phone in mind.

Apple and Microsoft banding together to fuck console gaming for good. But since it's apple, people will cheer on at such tremendous innovation, since now apple has taken the crown of having invented gaming.
Exactly ... I think iPhones melt peoples brains & make them think apples not a greedy disgusting company that will fuck over consumers at every opportunity

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
This post here:

Women like status. Apple is a status symbol now (lmao remember the 90s?).

I mean look at their advertisements. People actually believe apple has the most powerful chips on the market because they misrepresent their numbers. Performance per watt? Sure.
I don't care very much about how powerful the chip on my phone is my current android is perfectly capable of doing everything a phone is supposed to do & then some & it cost me less than £400