Assassin's Creed Mirage, Death Stranding and Resident Evil Village are coming to iPhone 15 Pro

Apple is getting serious about gaming

• Good

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I bought a phone from Google like 3 years ago for like less than 40000 yen which is approximately 400 USD then, still work great today. Not sure why anyone need 1000 dollars phone if they gonna upgrade every years.
This is a thing even among Android users, some people want the latest Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, etc. many don't care and either get a great mid-tier phone or a run down phone from a friend.

Some people even upgrade their TV on a regular basis!

Now, the last Apple devide I owned was an iPad air (the first gen with their CPU I think)... Anyway, I bought it for my GF after she gave birth to our daughter 10 years ago. It lasted until I killed it last year because my son does not mix well with it and my GF did not want to put the effort into controlling his screen time. These things just will not die. I bought a 2016 macbook pro for my nephew who does music two years ago, again, no problem whatsoever.

So, I don't see the focus on Apple when it comes to them being a bad company and pushing plan obsolescence. I don't use their products, but I find that their phones and laptops are much better built than the vast majority of devices out there, including those in the same price range. With their current ARM cpus their laptops not only perform heavy duty tasks while not draining their battery, they remain silent and do it as fast as the very best intel\amd laptops when they are plugged on the wall (on battery forget it, the performance is abysmal) with the fans spinning so fast that you have to attach the thing to the table or it will fly.

Again, I have a desktop PC and Laptop as well as an Android phone, but I can recognise the unique quality of Apple's products. I just can't live with the drawbacks (can't upgrade the laptop... not a good idea).

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I'm not sure I was clear:

It's not about graphics, bandwidth, whatever. It's about the game having to be designed with a phone in mind, meaning they have to account for UI / UX, key bindings, mechanics, etc.
If the Series S is a concern, designing around a phone is a problem... no matter how good the phone is. There is no question about that.

Reactions: Banana

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This is a thing even among Android users, some people want the latest Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, etc. many don't care and either get a great mid-tier phone or a run down phone from a friend.

Some people even upgrade their TV on a regular basis!

Now, the last Apple devide I owned was an iPad air (the first gen with their CPU I think)... Anyway, I bought it for my GF after she gave birth to our daughter 10 years ago. It lasted until I killed it last year because my son does not mix well with it and my GF did not want to put the effort into controlling his screen time. These things just will not die. I bought a 2016 macbook pro for my nephew who does music two years ago, again, no problem whatsoever.

So, I don't see the focus on Apple when it comes to them being a bad company and pushing plan obsolescence. I don't use their products, but I find that their phones and laptops are much better built than the vast majority of devices out there, including those in the same price range. With their current ARM cpus their laptops not only perform heavy duty tasks while not draining their battery, they remain silent and do it as fast as the very best intel\amd laptops when they are plugged on the wall (on battery forget it, the performance is abysmal) with the fans spinning so fast that you have to attach the thing to the table or it will fly.

Again, I have a desktop PC and Laptop as well as an Android phone, but I can recognise the unique quality of Apple's products. I just can't live with the drawbacks (can't upgrade the laptop... not a good idea).
All the "planned obsolescence" narrative-pushers know nothing. Macs and iPhones outlast most other gear, and, well, I am far from the only one out there with 10, 20 or even 40-year old Macs that still work perfectly fine, while most PCs and Android devices are in dire need of replacement before they hit 5 years of service, should they somehow make it that far.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
All the "planned obsolescence" narrative-pushers know nothing. Macs and iPhones outlast most other gear, and, well, I am far from the only one out there with 10, 20 or even 40-year old Macs that still work perfectly fine, while most PCs and Android devices are in dire need of replacement before they hit 5 years of service, should they somehow make it that far.
I would love to get my hands on a Quadra 840av!

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Basically, what I’m trying to say is unless Apple rewrote the laws of physics, there’s just no way. No matter how good the silicon. A phone will never surpass a full sized console, not unless a large amount of time has elapsed.

Take that silicon, possibly, *out* of a phone and into a box and things might be different although I still have my doubts. That’s where M2 and the like take over.
You got it wrong, it’s already happening, compare iPhone 14s A16 bionic benchmarks to desktop grade PC benchmarks. It’s already in the 99th percentile.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Phones are finally getting a decent GPU and CPU comparable to consoles and PCs, and both get supported by engines like Unreal, Unity, Godot, etc.

It's just a matter of time that all markets will converge and merge into a single ecosystem: buy a game in the Apple App Store and play it on iPhone, iPad or Mac. Buy a game on Google Play and play it on Android phones, tablets, tvs or Windows.

And once Apple and Google will get forced to allow 3rd party stores, you'll see the console makers also having their stores in mobile and PC with games also being cross-buy, cross-play and cross-save between console, mobile and PC.

We still aren't there, but this is another step. It may take 5 or almost 10 years, but we'll get it there.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You got it wrong, it’s already happening, compare iPhone 14s A16 bionic benchmarks to desktop grade PC benchmarks. It’s already in the 99th percentile.
Those who don't want to believe it, I had an iphone 14 with an M1 macbook pro for a little while and tested an app that did photogrammetry (take a bunch of pictures or film of an item\place from all angles and convert that to a textured 3D object).

Well, the M1 macbook pro trounced my desktop PC's performance (RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 5800... pretty amazing at the time). Conversions that took about 1 hour or more on the PC would barely take a few seconds on the Mac.

The processor etc. is similar to what's in the iPhone.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Those who don't want to believe it, I had an iphone 14 with an M1 macbook pro for a little while and tested an app that did photogrammetry (take a bunch of pictures or film of an item\place from all angles and convert that to a textured 3D object).

Well, the M1 macbook pro trounced my desktop PC's performance (RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 5800... pretty amazing at the time). Conversions that took about 1 hour or more on the PC would barely take a few seconds on the Mac.

The processor etc. is similar to what's in the iPhone.
Dolphin on my MacBook Pro, which is the 13-inch M1 model, so pretty much the bottom of the line, can run Gamecube games in 4k internal rendering resolution at 60FPS with the odd dip in intensive games without the fan even kicking in.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Now, the last Apple devide I owned was an iPad air (the first gen with their CPU I think)... Anyway, I bought it for my GF after she gave birth to our daughter 10 years ago. It lasted until I killed it last year because my son does not mix well with it and my GF did not want to put the effort into controlling his screen time.
Why did u still refers someone who gives you a daughter as gf...
Suspicious Side Eye GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not really.

Honestly, Canada is worse. A guy here got told by the court that he had to pay support to an ex-wife he’d divorced 20 years ago when she became severely ill, even though their divorce agreement had no alimony agreement!

Do you have any source on that? Would love to read what bullshit excuse they provided.

Here in Ireland I just found that if I have a kid while unmarried my only right is to pay alimony, nothing else. I have no right to visit, educate, interact, due to being unmarried with the mum.

😆