Axios: 11 members of Congress argue Sony is unfairly hurting Xbox in Japan

24 Jun 2022
I don't think this will amount to anything. It's more likely pressure. But it is really disgusting. And Nintendo will be affected if something happens.

Might've been pressure for Japan to approve the deal because apparently that just happened. But imagine needing to do all of this just to force regulators in one country to approve the deal.

If the merits of the deal were justifiable of their own strengths, you wouldn't need to pull stunts like this.

Nintendo staying so quiet and partnering with Microsoft but not being “defined in the market” could come back to bite them if/when Microsoft uses this 98 percent argument to buy a Nintendo partner.

“No you can’t buy them that’s our partner!”

“Well it looks like you’re not apart of the market so you need to stay in your lane.”

Nintendo showing their true colors here by trusting Microsoft to screw Sony over.

People really underestimate how petty Nintendo can be to get at a competitor. Back in the '90s they literally sided with Joe Libermann in the "Violence in Gaming" hearings, which ultimately wanted the U.S government to regulate the gaming market. They did that and played into their family-friendly image just to take shots at Sega.

Eventually it was because of Sega & 3P in America that the ESRB was formed (Nintendo was completely absent from this BTW), but it just shows Nintendo were completely fine with a government-regulated American gaming industry if that meant cutting Sega off at the knees so they couldn't capitalize off their more mature image.

How long do you think Nintendo's been waiting to try something similar with the company they probably blame for their fall from power in the home console gaming market, Sony? When it comes to this kind of stuff Nintendo are probably one of the most petty companies in the industry. And, they've probably learned some new tricks in that regard (at least on the American side) being so close to Microsoft's headquarters in Washington.

Japan is a dead market. NA is the king.

Yes because Elden Ring, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo...none of these games have any cache or appeal in the West, amirite?

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Be that as it may, I do find the entire situation funny because Sony should have just accepted the deal and moved on. Instead, they tried to block a deal which was never going to happen and in turn, put much more of a spotlight and focus on their own business practices which is their own doing.

As any other company will do if affect their business at some degree. Go figure :/

As for me, im no different than anyone else here. I favor what I prefer and that's it. No different than others here constantly shitting and bashing Microsoft and Xbox repeatedly and for what? Because they can't play certain games on their preferred platform? Well, join the club. But hey, to each their own.

Well, you Xbox fans are acting like spoiled brats whose dad has a huge amount of money and thinks they are untouchable and they can buy all things with money. No wonder why Xbox community is so messed up. Xbox is in last place deservedly so, behind Nintendo and Sony. And always will be.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Don't you get it? MS has more money and can buy half the industry that's all that matters to Xbox fans. That's their win, it was never about games with them. If someone is an Xbox fan at this point that is a massive red flag and in social media sites they make that pretty clear with every one of their post, they are more bitter about PlayStation success than anything else.
In september 2020 there was the zenimax purachase. In february of 2021 I remember noticing on twitter and youtube podcasts in particular the nonstop shilling of gamepass despite still being a lack luster service imo. It occurred to me that microsoft has army of paid for shill accounts. Then halo infinite recieved 10/10s despite being lack luster and missing key features. Then the activsion blizzard purachase.

Its here that sony shouldve realized this isnt a typical console generation and something alot more sinister is taking place. Its right here sony really shouldve been sounding the alarm about microsofts true intentions. They shouldve done media rounds, interviews, got on gamer podcasts. Really let their audience know whats going on and that they care.

Instead theyve sat in complete silence. If the deal is inadequate, explain WHY. If the 10 year deal is inadequate, tell us WHY. Break some NDA's if you have to. This sitting in silence while microsoft is making interviews multiple times a day is such a bad way to lose control of the narrative which i think they have. Then to top it off, not making moves yourself and just seemingly sitting there. Its such a poor strategy.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
In regards to specific countries, Japan is the third largest revenue source in gaming behind the US and China. But in regards to development they are actually still number 1, I think. If you switch to "markets"/ regions then obviously the EU/Europe is ahead of them. And if you only talk game sales instead of MTX then China goes from no. 2/3 to a mere blip.

Is it "declining?" Yes, but its still huge and far from dead.

24 Jun 2022
Added this to the OP:

Send an email to the CMA and make them change their minds about the console market. MS real target is Sony, not about the cloud only.

View attachment 895

Nah. I've lost any interest in writing an appeal. These people should know what the potential ramifications are. If they don't, then Google some forums and read through posts.

Plus I'm guessing Sony themselves could respond to the addendum?

Shut the fuck up.. jesus christ

Truth hurts?

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
In september 2020 there was the zenimax purachase. In february of 2021 I remember noticing on twitter and youtube podcasts in particular the nonstop shilling of gamepass despite still being a lack luster service imo. It occurred to me that microsoft has army of paid for shill accounts. Then halo infinite recieved 10/10s despite being lack luster and missing key features. Then the activsion blizzard purachase.

Its here that sony shouldve realized this isnt a typical console generation and something alot more sinister is taking place. Its right here sony really shouldve been sounding the alarm about microsofts true intentions. They shouldve done media rounds, interviews, got on gamer podcasts. Really let their audience know whats going on and that they care.

Instead theyve sat in complete silence. If the deal is inadequate, explain WHY. If the 10 year deal is inadequate, tell us WHY. Break some NDA's if you have to. This sitting in silence while microsoft is making interviews multiple times a day is such a bad way to lose control of the narrative which i think they have. Then to top it off, not making moves yourself and just seemingly sitting there. Its such a poor strategy.
ABK was the turning point. Xbox would be in terrible shape if they stoped there. Sony will still have time to react to the ABK deal due to how far behind MS is at but what Sony does in the upcoming few years will determine if they'll just be the next Sega.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
ABK was the turning point. Xbox would be in terrible shape if they stoped there. Sony will still have time to react to the ABK deal due to how far behind MS is at but what Sony does in the upcoming few years will determine if they'll just be the next Sega.
Microsoft is right now lobbying government's and regulators that anything sony does is unfair due to an arbitrary market share number. Its disgusting and sleazy but this is what im pointing out. Sony shouldve moved witha quickness once they figured out what the real plan was and made investments in key partners. But now this has escalated so bad, so fast, i dont even know if theyll be ALLOWED to respond. The have no one to blame but themselves right now.

Their silence is absolutely deafening right now.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Let the great rising up begin...

Animated GIF

Well, we are not PC gamers... not quite that type of heft.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Sony has had a marketing problem since the reshuffle to this new leadership, with Shawn Layden packing and marketing coming under one sole umbrella instead of the old arrangement of regional departments (America/Europe/Japan) - probably to save on money mostly despite whatever they claim was the true reason aka "one single voice". I've commented on that for years, it's visible now. The most pressing hole is mostly what MS calls "grass root" marketing, that is, small timer influencer marketing that is replacing traditional media, but even VIP PR needs a touch up. Allowing Phil to run his mouth on how the "industry should be" was a miss. The dwarf in the industry shouldn't be allowed to set the media narrative and agenda unopposed. The media will gravitate to whomever wants to speak the most so they can print something for clicks. Learning how to properly fill this role and manage it without getting burnt is a skill. It's what it's.

Sony of America heads used to carry Sony's voice in NA markets with frequency - understanding the NA media space much better than EU heads naturally. That is no longer the case, only mothership at UK does that now - with their favorites in Wired and that other dude with the glasses that gets the scoops. It's horrible VIP media engagement and exposure.

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Sony has had a marketing problem since the reshuffle to this new leadership, with Shawn Layden packing and marketing coming under one sole umbrella instead of the old arrangement of regional departments (America/Europe/Japan) - probably to save on money mostly. I've commented on that for years, it's visible now. The hole is mostly in what MS calls "grass root" marketing, that is, small timer influencer marketing, but even VIP PR needs a touch up. Allowing Phil to run his mouth on how the "industry should be" was also a miss. The dwarf in the industry shouldn't be allowed to set the media agenda unopposed.
Sony have distanced themselves from viral marketing ever since the "All I want for Xmas is a PSP" fiasco. They did invest a bit in media payolas soon after the PS4 launch, but for some strange reason must have found it a useless effort throughout the generation.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
When you do shit badly it becomes an easy justification to call it a useless effort, specially if main motive for characterizing it that way is to excuse n hide poor execution by your team, and ultimately the top man in charge. Their PS4 efforts were by and large satisfactory, specially at the beginning phase of the gen where they crushed MS, capitalizing on mistakes soundly. Sony's engagement efforts started to wane and die out mid-way through the PS4 cycle, otherwise they were largely engaged. They got satiated with the pounding leveled on MS, and got comfortable. The transition to a new management class, the reshuffling and marketing restructuring did this no favors. We're where we are. I'm not of the belief management classes hold very much memory to "past mistakes" nor work with some sort of limitation on decision making due to such. It's just not the rule, but the exception. Jim however is a career man so he does have memory.... guaranteed for EU hardships for sure. Since he does have memory he does know what SIE firing off on all cylinders looks like media engagement wise during the nascent PS4 era and should look to replicate that as the competition gets tougher. It's only natural. Chaotic yes, a managerial nightmare, also yes, essential, also yes.

"We believe in generations" was a self-made trap that they were not able to smooth over and the PS5 teardown by Cerny that got virulent media coverage was also a failure on their part. "Bigger number = better" and conceding that narrative was easy for MS marketing (that it turned out to be an absolute sham later on in typical MS fashion is of no consequence.) Preparing the media space is a thankless work, and the competition has put in the work. It's nasty business but it gets done if money is allocated with the right people, the right organizations and everyone gets to eat something (most important to spread). Brand perception management companies aka turfers also deliver results - there is a reason they exist and there is a reason they make money otherwise it wouldn't be a business - unfortunately.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Sony fucked around and may find out.. This isn't all on MS.
Yes, it is, whether you like it or not. MS is incompetent, they lose at everything, are shortsighted and typically enter late in consolidated markets and try to strong arm them by making power moves, either buying competition or starving them out of the market. All of their products not named windows, office (this includes Teams and Power BI (a terrible BI suite and a trojan horse), since they bought and killed Skype) and Azure are complete failures.
Surface is a failure.
Nokia was a failure.
Skype became a failure.
Xbox IS a failure.
Simply because MS is not value or objective-driven, rather, they're monopoly and money driven.
Now they're trying again with these buyouts, but guess what? It won't work. Talent is already leaving these companies and funding their own independent studios. MS investments are not paying off once again.
  • We've seen it with Rare;
  • We're seeing it with Bethesda;
  • We'll see it with ABK
Their failures are their own fault, it's as simple as that.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
Yes because Elden Ring, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo...none of these games have any cache or appeal in the West, amirite?
I'm confused. Those games are all extremely popular in NA. That's my point NA is the dominant market. Japan is a shell of itself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Sony shut down their Japan studios?!