Concord |OT| Turn Off Your Cross-play

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is true. Games from Sony have not come at a slower pace this gen, despite what many will tell you. We're just not hearing about them until they're ready for launch. Astro Bot... likely in my top 5 this gen, was revealed just over 3 months ago. I hope they stick to smaller hype cycles.

I personally prefer a longer hype cycle, but understand short cycles are better for the studios and I guess some fans prefer it. Less wait etc.

I like the longer ones because its one of the things I enjoy about video games, the long hype lol. Kojima games, ND etc etc. theories etc etc Well from studios I like and support. Knowing its coming. Same with movies.

It also gives people reasons to buy a console. “Oh I know these few games are coming in the next few years, plus XXX is coming this year and so on”. Gives people an initiative when they know the console is gonna be supported and have many big games coming.

People wouldnt be so worried about Gaas games, if they’d seen these sP Cory’s game, GOT2, what remake bluepoint was working on, ND’s game etc etc. Well some people anyway

Reactions: voke and Ico
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think even if its close, the announcements are lacking compared to previous gen.

By this time last gen we knew TLOU2 ( Found out about it in 2016, came out 2020) GOT, Spiderman, Death Stranding 2 and more were coming in the future. Roughly

This whole, we cant show you stuff until our current games have come out is just silly by Playstation marketing.

Console gamers have a longer memory than a Goldfish, knowing games are coming in 3/4 years is fine. Titles like TLOU, or God of War or a new IP from Insomniac or whoever just builds excitement for fans. Fans are frustrated, scared games are all gonna be gaas ( even though thats an exaggeration lol ).

Sony can get rid of these concerns with 1 good show, showing plenty of shit that is miles out. I know thats crazy and it puts pressure on studios, but hey, thats what fans and the industry are use to
Sony changed a lot from how they announce games... in PS4 they announced the games way before the release.
Now they choose to do things more close... Astro Bot was announced this year, no?

Anyway that is what I got from wiki... I really don't see that big difference.
Maybe 2016 vs 2023 the difference was 2 big game while the other two where indies/VR.

I believe people overestimate the difference in releases between PS4 and PS5... the only odd year was 2023 (that people blamed COVID).
Plus PS5 seems to have way more 3rd-party deals in 2024 than PS4 had in 2017... even if you don't count as PS game it is really exclusive to PS5... so PS5 is ahead in 2024 vs 2017.

Code:
PS4
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    The Playroom (pre-installed on the console)
    Resogun
    Driveclub
    Infamous Second Son
    LittleBigPlanet 3
    MLB 14: The Show
    Bloodborne
    Helldivers: Super-Earth Ultimate Edition
    The Order: 1886
    Until Dawn
    MLB The Show 16
    Ratchet & Clank
    The Last Guardian
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    Hardware: Rivals
    PlayStation VR Worlds

Code:
PS5
    Demon's Souls
    Sackboy: A Big Adventure
    Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    Astro's Playroom
    Destruction AllStars
    MLB The Show 21
    Returnal
    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    Ghost of Tsushima: Legends
    God of War Ragnarök
    Gran Turismo 7
    Horizon Forbidden West
    MLB The Show 22
    Marvel's Spider-Man 2
    MLB The Show 23
    Horizon Call of the Mountain

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony changed a lot from how they announce games... in PS4 they announced the games way before the release.
Now they choose to do things more close... Astro Bot was announced this year, no?

Anyway that is what I got from wiki... I really don't see that big difference.
Maybe 2016 vs 2023 the difference was 2 big game while the other two where indies/VR.

I believe people overestimate the difference in releases between PS4 and PS5... the only odd year was 2023 (that people blamed COVID).
Plus PS5 seems to have way more 3rd-party deals in 2024 than PS4 had in 2017... even if you don't count as PS game it is really exclusive to PS5... so PS5 is ahead in 2024 vs 2017.

Code:
PS4
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    The Playroom (pre-installed on the console)
    Resogun
    Driveclub
    Infamous Second Son
    LittleBigPlanet 3
    MLB 14: The Show
    Bloodborne
    Helldivers: Super-Earth Ultimate Edition
    The Order: 1886
    Until Dawn
    MLB The Show 16
    Ratchet & Clank
    The Last Guardian
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    Hardware: Rivals
    PlayStation VR Worlds

Code:
PS5
    Demon's Souls
    Sackboy: A Big Adventure
    Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    Astro's Playroom
    Destruction AllStars
    MLB The Show 21
    Returnal
    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    Ghost of Tsushima: Legends
    God of War Ragnarök
    Gran Turismo 7
    Horizon Forbidden West
    MLB The Show 22
    Marvel's Spider-Man 2
    MLB The Show 23
    Horizon Call of the Mountain

Yeah they are definitely mostly going for that shorter announcement window apart from like Wolverine etc.

Personally I prefer the longer one. We all know GOT is coming and a ND game, having an announcement just gets people excited. Our type is just like that lol.

I know I sound like a broken record but Im sure if anti gaas fans or even fans like myself had seen GOT2, Cory’s game, ND’s game and couple more from 1st party plus they would feel alot more at ease. Especially if you add that to Wolverine, Death Stranding 2 and others etc. Its one way of making anti gaas fans chill.

But Im not in charge and Sony and alot of fans prefer the benefits of a shorter one gives, so it was it is.

Reactions: ethomaz

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I think even if its close, the announcements are lacking compared to previous gen.

By this time last gen we knew TLOU2 ( Found out about it in 2016, came out 2020) GOT, Spiderman, Death Stranding 2 and more were coming in the future. Roughly

This whole, we cant show you stuff until our current games have come out is just silly by Playstation marketing.

Console gamers have a longer memory than a Goldfish, knowing games are coming in 3/4 years is fine. Titles like TLOU, or God of War or a new IP from Insomniac or whoever just builds excitement for fans. Fans are frustrated, scared games are all gonna be gaas ( even though thats an exaggeration lol ).

Sony can get rid of these concerns with 1 good show, showing plenty of shit that is miles out. I know thats crazy and it puts pressure on studios, but hey, thats what fans and the industry are use to
The roadmap

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
If they dont make a FPS or use the same gameplay in some way, Sony just have no idea what they are doing.
Well Sony doesn't have a clue what they are doing when it comes to their GaaS approach..they probably thought the PS Seal of quality would be enough to get them success. Unfortunately they deiced to venture over to PC where they aren't able to control a narrative and it's been nonstop mistakes and PR blunders.

The more I think about it, this game should have just been PS Characters instead of original characters and would have tied perfectly into the Astro Bot marketing cycle too.

This game is so good and the foundation is immaculate, it would be a shame if they don't make use of FireWalk again.

Perhaps let them work alongside the newly spun off Bungie studio

• they're_right_you_know

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It's toast man. It was a great 5v5 game but the concord brand is simply not worth revisiting even as f2p. This game somehow became the next Gollum without even being bad. They need to try something new..... I hope Firewalk can survive, make changes in the art direction, and please for the love of god market it properly next time around. I know they have the chops to make a relatively successful game, Sony likely wasn't the best partner for them.... sure they get all the expensive tools and all of that, but the multiplayer space is still pretty new to modern Sony and their still learning how to market that to their audience.

But yeah, I tend to agree with you, Concord as a brand is never going to happen, negative hype won against it.
I agree! The brand is tarnished but I'm not fully counting out it never coming back as theu still are keeping the discord channels open and are still paying moderation. Plus the community manager said they'll issue an update eventually on the future.

Either way, my personal opinion they can go back and address some of the major concerns and try to relaunch again. The game is so infamous that if it comes back it will also get a ton of attention.

But maybe Sony should also just give them Factions to finish up 🤣🤣 (I'm just being delusional, still not over it being canceled)

Reactions: voke

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This game is so good and the foundation is immaculate, it would be a shame if they don't make use of FireWalk again.
Same. Im sure they could of made it fit somehow even if they had to add a bunch of new characters ( better designed lol )
Or vice versa and added 10 PS characters

They could of done a million different things but they went with the worse option. Story single player mode would of helped too

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Same. Im sure they could of made it fit somehow even if they had to add a bunch of new characters ( better designed lol )
Or vice versa and added 10 PS characters

They could of done a million different things but they went with the worse option. Story single player mode would of helped too
If the game was given a fair chance this could have still happened unfortunately the gaming. Community got it wrong this time and slaughtered one of the most pro consumer Multiplayer games... Definitely sent a wrong message to the higher ups.

A single player could have worked but I've gotten the impression the team was fairly small for awhile and so they probably did these weekly cutscenes in hopes of possibly building up lore and interest to maybe eventually some sort of co-op campaign, if the game had made enough and became a success.

The Amazon show feels like the weekly cutscenes were gonna build up to that and the show would have fully fleshed out all the characters

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Well Sony doesn't have a clue what they are doing when it comes to their GaaS approach..they probably thought the PS Seal of quality would be enough to get them success. Unfortunately they deiced to venture over to PC where they aren't able to control a narrative and it's been nonstop mistakes and PR blunders.

The more I think about it, this game should have just been PS Characters instead of original characters and would have tied perfectly into the Astro Bot marketing cycle too.

Perhaps let them work alongside the newly spun off Bungie studio
First sensible post you’ve ever made. Well done, you can do it again!

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It's much better and fun to be nickled and dimed by a F2P scheme than to play a fresh, fun, technical PvP showcase with a one time upfront cost 😎
They love to prop up (mostly SP) games like Baldur's Gate 3 and Elden Ring when it doesn't nickel and dime you.... but when an actual GAAS multiplayer game does it..... crickets. I think it's just a cony way of SP only players saying "look, my toy is better" rather than appreciating the business model itself.

• Shake
Reactions: Danja