Concord Review Thread

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Honestly the best thing could have done after the reveal during state of play was go back and delay the game for a 12 or 18 months like suicide squad did.

Remove the 2 obese teletubbies, add in 2 fit good looking chick.
Remove discount drax and yondu and make 2 anthromorphic aliens.
Remove the yellow tin can and replace him with a sleek looking android samurai whose ranged attacks(bullets) are judgement cuts
Have a serious space marine type character
A succubus type thirst trap that attracts cosplayers and rule 34 crowd
Why would this make a difference? What type of player is this change attracting?

24 Jun 2022
I like HD2 but it would be waste. Get the studio on a traditional single player FPS with a PVP mode, same style as gun controls etc. New artists and character designers and bring in the right PS guys to overlook it.
There gunplay is good so it wouldnt make sense to use them for a 3rd person shooter like HD2 when PS lacks FPS games. Even the reviewers arent complaining about the gameplay much.

Use the money they have made from HD2 to expand it. I cant talk for Fairgame, Im not really an Ubisoft guy so we’ll see about the gameplay but yeah if they sucks use them.

TBH the studio might be a good fit to revive Killzone. There is kind of a "weightiness" to the gunplay (at least prior to some speed boosts) that aren't too out-of-place for a Killzone title.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Na herman specifically stated that he played this and thinks its a great game, shu shops around for indies and xdev projects.

The GaaS push was initiated by Jimbo and Herman was the herald of doom for it. Herman played it in 2021 and greenlighted buying firewalk, they could have just published this and it would have been less of an embarrassment and humiliation.

What, Helldivers 2 doesn't count? 😁

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Dude I never said HD2 doesnt count and HD1 was still a modest success so that was a much safer investment, I said this stink of humiliation could all have been avoided if they didnt purchase firewalk before even shipping one game. Now they are stuck with frankly very mediocre devs on top of a bomb

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Dude I never said HD2 doesnt count and HD1 was still a modest success so that was a much safer investment, I said this stink of humiliation could all have been avoided if they didnt purchase firewalk before even shipping one game. Now they are stuck with frankly very mediocre devs on top of a bomb
and they have to support this turd now for a while :D

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Firewalk was a gamble. I agree maybe it wasn’t wise without them having proven something. But they’re a startup. I could see them moving and merging with that new bungie splinter studio and work on gummy bears if not back to bungie.

I kinda don’t want to go there yet. Yea I’m predicting disaster and emergency calls to discuss what’s next. This is an impossible uphill battle, to even survive thru launch.

The one Helldivers is worth stumbling across huge misfires like this. And I think they understood there would be failures but talk about not reading the room. Consumers have completely rejected this. Like … another one for the record books this week but for the opposite reasons.

I despise hero shooters so I’m not too sad about it but oh man feel bad for the devs. They put in quality work… just nobody wants it. There’s more people playing the closed splitgate 2 alpha.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yes, every seasonal update will bring around a fresh round of humiliation. I want Sony to succeed but they should have nipped this at any point in the last 3 years

It was probably cheap enough compared to other projects where selling 2-3 million would’ve made money. But they may not do 100k

Reactions: quest4441

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Na herman specifically stated that he played this and thinks its a great game, shu shops around for indies and xdev projects.
Hermen is in charge of PS Studios, and one of the PS Studios teams is XDEV (who in addition to other things they manage their 2nd party games). Since the XDEV/PS Studios games are published by Sony they are first party.

In the past Shu had Hermen's role. Now Shu is in another department, the 3rd party relations one, where he supports (3rd party) indies via being in charge of the PS Indies initiative / team.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why would this make a difference? What type of player is this change attracting?

I think we can agree if the characters were abit different, the game would of had less excuses/reasons to hate. I like some of them for sure.
Honestly the best thing could have done after the reveal during state of play was go back and delay the game for a 12 or 18 months like suicide squad did.

Remove the 2 obese teletubbies, add in 2 fit good looking chick.
Remove discount drax and yondu and make 2 anthromorphic aliens. (leopard human hybrid, wolf human hybrid)
Remove the yellow tin can and replace him with a sleek looking android samurai whose ranged attacks(bullets) are judgement cuts
Have a serious space marine type character
A succubus type thirst trap that attracts cosplayers and rule 34 crowd
I kinda agree, but I like the discount Yondu, maybe just change him a bit.

And I like the droid. But they could/of add a samurai character, another close range.

The other Tank “teletubby” they could of just covered the face and put a Stray NPC like robotic face on her.
Only one that you notice while playing is the Blue fatty.
Adjust a few of the others and it would of looked great

But yes on the Cosplay traps

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Probably cost about a 100 million to make. They won't even make back half of that.
I think much more than a $100 million. And it also took them 8 years! 8 fucking years to make PvP game. The characters seems to have been sculpted in Blender over the weekend.

Reactions: Infinity

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I think much more than a $100 million. And it also took them 8 years! 8 fucking years to make PvP game. The characters seems to have been sculpted in Blender over the weekend.

Probably cost about a 100 million to make. They won't even make back half of that.

The number going around is that budget was between 100 and 250 million, this game was rebooted multiple times just like Suicide Squad and was originaly greenlit in 2016 after Overwatch release.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
It was probably cheap enough compared to other projects where selling 2-3 million would’ve made money. But they may not do 100k
This game is a complete dud in asia, I mean we wont see this charting in the famitsu charts. Same for hong kong and singapore. I dont see this selling 50k copies let alone 100k. If they had 50k sales they would atleast hit the top 50 on US psn store

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I give the guy shit and thinks he fell upwards but why you implying he greenlighted this? This game was being eyed by Shu initially back in 2018 when they met up for the pitch.
The GaaS push was initiated by Jimbo and Herman was the herald of doom for it. Herman played it in 2021 and greenlighted buying firewalk, they could have just published this and it would have been less of an embarrassment and humiliation.

Hermen became the head of PS Studios (back then known as Worldwide Studios) in November 2019. Before him there was Shuhei Yoshida in charge. We know things like:
  • Helldivers 2 started in 2016
  • Gran Turismo Sport shipped in 2017, so pretty likely Gran Turismo 8 development started around there
  • Guerilla hired the Horizon Online director to work on it early 2018
  • Sony started to work with Concord "since the start", so maybe since Firewalk was founded in 2018 or maybe even (I doubt it) when they started the game in 2016
  • In Japan Sony published both Destiny games since their release
  • Somewhere in 2019 the TLOU2 MP mode branched out to become TLOU Online, so we don't know if Shu or Hermen greenlighted it, but I'd personally bet that it's more likely that was Shu
  • London Studio released Blood & Truth in May 2019, so pretty likely their new IP GaaS was greenlighted before Hermen started
  • Before all of them them Sony published other GaaS in the past like LBP, PS Home, GT Sport, the Everquest titles or DC Universe Online, and since launch was the publisher for Japan for games like Destiny 1 and 2
So no, Jimbo and Hermen didn't start the current GaaS push. As happens with the current PC push, it was started before them.

I'd bet that did cost something closer to 200 million because it's a AAA game with around 8 years of development made by a lot of veterans from games like Destiny, Halo or CoD and published by Sony.

Honestly, 70 is harsh
Yes, from what I saw in the beta and from what I saw in some review I think mid/high 70s would make more sense.

But until now there's only 4 or 5 reviews at MC/OC, normally AAA games get over 100 reviews. I assume many reviewers are on vacations or at Gamecom, or as usually happens with GaaS they may had (or want) to play it once it's live to properly review it.

So we'll have to wait some days to see a more fair/representative amount of reviews and MC/OC score.

Last edited: