dispelling the myth that PC is a 'premium' place to play games - Steam's top 10 highest rated games paint a bleak picture for the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
That doesn’t change the fact that you’re cheapskates when it comes to games and that you spend fortunes on hardware. What you said is completely unrelated to these facts.
course diss GIF
You act as if saving money is a bad thing, why wouldn't you want the best deal possible? Pretty bizarre take.

Being frugal doesn't make you a cheapskate.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Exactly to my point. If buying a PC is a "lot of money" to someone, they need to work on their career/financial situation before arguing about games. In fact your point about 60 dollar games being no big deal ALSO correlates to why I think Game Pass is largely complete nonsense. Buying games that directly support the ones who created it makes far more sense to me than massive corporations subsidizing a selection of games I don't get to pick.

Oh well. Keep doing what your PC lovin' arse is doing, and please keep posting on the board!
Look at fishing and suddenly pc gaming is a cheap hobby :p
it’s not about wishing my money went elsewhere instead of pc. It’s just dry comparison.
For me, spending more money on pc hardware validates my requirement for it to be this much better which it is and isn’t.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Basically, as a console gamer, you have no options.. and the market reflects that.
That's not true at all, there is also second hand market with console games(physical).
I don't have the need to trade and sell my used games, but that is an option.
I don't collect games , and those games that I've finished, don't have much replay value to me anymore.
So I just give them to my friends and family, after I feel I'm done.

D

Deleted member 223

No options? lol....

Gamefly (rentals)
PS Plus Essential - Premium (rentals)
Gamepass (rentals)
Amazon/Ebay used-games market.
Retail stores worldwide for physical games (new/used), including mom and pop stores.
3 hardware manufacturers with distinctive software offerings across multiple generations.
Gamesharing

It's the "open platform" that's handicapped to hell and back by the monopoly of store fronts, and more specifically, the only true, effective sovereign aka Steam....to go along with the complete disappearance of physical media on PC. The saving grace of the platform, hard to admit, is piracy, and unsanctioned emulation of, you guessed it, console hardware and its software. A practice that comes about the fact that the platform is left out of significant offerings found on consoles (and its not just "first party exclusives"). It's what it's.

On the "open platform" you're stuck with pricing from the Steam/Epic storefronts. There is no way out of that pricing mechanism and "competition", except, piracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
That doesn’t change the fact that you’re cheapskates when it comes to games and that you spend fortunes on hardware. What you said is completely unrelated to these facts.
course diss GIF
Good Lord this corporate dick riding is why they don't even advertise. And I like you quoted my post but didn't acknowledge what I said.

I'm still curious if this "cheapskate" attitude is any different than a console gamer who buys a console and then waits till all the games they want to play are 20 dollars? Buys them all used? Or GOTY editions? Buy 2 get 1 sales? There's plenty of them like that but somehow people on PC get a stigma for saving money on games, many of which are one and done to begin with.

God of War didn't sell 20 million copies at 60 dollars FYI.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Good Lord this corporate dick riding is why they don't even advertise. And I like you quoted my post but didn't acknowledge what I said.

I'm still curious if this "cheapskate" attitude is any different than a console gamer who buys a console and then waits till all the games they want to play are 20 dollars? Buys them all used? Or GOTY editions? Buy 2 get 1 sales? There's plenty of them like that but somehow people on PC get a stigma for saving money on games, many of which are one and done to begin with.

God of War didn't sell 20 million copies at 60 dollars FYI.
Still avoiding the point I'm making:
  • You spend fortunes on hardware
  • You bitch over game prices
These are facts. Simple cold hard facts.
Keep spinning, though.

spin turn GIF by New York City Ballet

• haha
Reactions: Gh0stnTheBashShell

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
No options? lol....

Gamefly (rentals)
Gamepass (rentals)
Retail stores worldwide for physical games (new/used), including mom and pop stores.
3 hardware manufacturers with distinctive software offerings across multiple generations.
Gamesharing

It's the "open platform" that's handicapped to hell and back by the monopoly of store fronts, and more specifically, the only true, effective sovereign aka Steam....to go along with the complete disappearance of physical media on PC. The saving grace of the platform, hard to admit, is piracy, and unsanctioned emulation of, you guessed it, console hardware and its software. A practice that comes about the fact that the platform is left out of significant offerings found on consoles (and its not just "first party exclusives"). It's what it's.

On the "open platform" you're stuck with pricing from the Steam/Epic storefronts. There is no way out of that pricing mechanism and "competition", except, piracy.
You can buy CD keys from humble, many from the developers themselves, Greenmanganing, Amazon, Gamersgate and plenty more. You literally just showed you don't know SHIT about buying games on PC.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Still avoiding the point I'm making:
  • You spend fortunes on hardware
  • You bitch over game prices
These are facts. Simple cold hard facts.
Keep spinning, though.
PC gamers "bitch" about pricing because it logically doesn't make any sense. In the 90s and early 00s it wasn't uncommon for a PC game to be often 10-20 dollars cheaper than a console version, those savings came from not having to front companies like Sony and Nintendo for their manufacturing process.

At some point around the 360 launch they saw fit to make digital games which cut out the middle man the same price as having to pay the middle man for the sake of "equality." with retail offerings. I remember buying Sleeping Dogs on PC at launch for 35 dollars from Greenmangaming and thought "fuck, why on earth should I have to rely on a coupon to get a good digital deal when there's no middleman."

Now look what we have, 70 dollar PS5 games directly from Sony on the PS Store, 70 dollar games on Steam, 70 dollar games on Xbox. Which despite me being okay with 70 dollar physical games, should be 50~ish AT MOST. There's no retail to worry about, no shipping, no materials, no deals. Just cheap bandwidth directly to the consumer. And who do we have to thank for it? People like you who think it's some moral virtue to give companies money

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: DonFerrari

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
PC gamers "bitch" about pricing because it logically doesn't make any sense. In the 90s and early 00s it wasn't uncommon for a PC game to be often 10-20 dollars cheaper than a console version, those savings came from not having to front companies like Sony and Nintendo for their manufacturing process.

At some point around the 360 launch they saw fit to make digital games which cut out the middle man the same price as having to pay the middle man for the sake of "equality." with retail offerings. I remember buying Sleeping Dogs on PC at launch for 35 dollars from Greenmangaming and thought "fuck, why on earth should I have to rely on a coupon to get a good digital deal when there's no middleman."

Now look what we have, 70 dollar PS5 games directly from Sony on the PS Store, 70 dollar games on Steam, 70 dollar games on Xbox. Which despite me being okay with 70 dollar physical games, should be 50~ish AT MOST. There's no retail to worry about, no shipping, no materials, no deals. Just cheap bandwidth directly to the consumer. And what do we have to think about it? People like you who think it's some moral virtue to give companies money
Yeah, dude, you're over justificating yourself too much. I don't care about any of this.
The point still stands:
You spend fortunes on hardware and then bitch about game prices.

That Is All Meryl Streep GIF

• haha
Reactions: Gh0stnTheBashShell

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
I see, you think it's 'them' and 'us' let's see where such mentality leads...
This whole thing was started by a dude who was upset that persona is being ported to PC so he can't one up a certain segment of PC players whom he thinks only game on PC.

Last edited:

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Like this thread isn't predicated on "them vs us" :rolleyes:
The OP is backed up by evidence, without evidence, stating people who prefer one box to another as 'insecure' without any evidence is just an insult. In other words, bring the receipts.

• haha
Reactions: Remij

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
No options? lol....

Gamefly (rentals)
Gamepass (rentals)
Gamesharing

A lot of the value that people attribute to PC is coming from piracy (it sure as hell ain't coming from hardware or used games), ain't nobody actually dumping rooms from games they bought and any single player game that get's cracked is screwed (Denuvo is likely what has kept publisher releasing their games on PC day one instead of making people wait like R* and Sony).

The reason prices are so aggressive on PC storefronts is because they are competing with piracy, any game with a multiplayer component retains it's value for a lot longer (that's why devs get pushed more and more into the direction of GaaS and why there isn't AAA single player PC exclusives anymore).

If you ever sailed the high seas look at what game is being wildly pirated this year, as far as AAA goes it's God of War.

Warnen

15 Jul 2022
course diss GIF

Seems this is what you are doing. Thread was about top steam games and now you made it about pc costing more, a collective no shit Sherlock on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.