dispelling the myth that PC is a 'premium' place to play games - Steam's top 10 highest rated games paint a bleak picture for the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Seems this is what you are doing. Thread was about top steam games and now you made it about pc costing more, a collective no shit Sherlock on that one.
You do know I was replying to that guy saying that people were accusing PC gamers of being broke? Follow the conversation before trying to get a gotcha and failing miserably.

Warnen

15 Jul 2022
PC gamers pay 3k on hardware and then proceed to outrage because the games are expensive. And it’s well known they don’t spend a lot of money on games, plus, there’s no incentive to market games on pc whereas on consoles you have Sony, MS and Nintendo paying for marketing.
Most AAA developer makes more money on consoles than on pc.

You do know I was replying to that guy saying that people were accusing PC gamers of being broke? Follow the conversation before trying to get a gotcha and failing miserably.

I know you post so fast you lose track but you made it about money pages ago

Reactions: Gh0stnTheBashShell

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I didn’t mention the other person comment. I said you “moved the goal post”. Just cause you are still rambling on about it pages later doesn’t mean you didn’t do it.
I didn't, lmao. You suck at this.
Still, this thread isn't about me, is it? So you either back off and stay on topic or GTFO. I won't keep entertaining this pointless discussion. Talk about the subject and not about me.

• haha

Warnen

15 Jul 2022
I didn't, lmao. You suck at this.
Still, this thread isn't about me, is it? So you either back off and stay on topic or GTFO. I won't keep entertaining this pointless discussion. Talk about the subject and not about me.

Can I just do another patented swift_Star response?

Ahh these poor console gamers, having to be stuck with outdated systems for years...

Did I do it right?

Last edited:
  • haha

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
It's because you and Oogabooga literally brought money into the equation. At least the OP brought up a point and backed it up with evidence, then you brought up I bUy muH gAyMeS like it's some morally right decision, as if once again, you know my buying habits and then acting like people are broke.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
A lot of the value that people attribute to PC is coming from piracy (it sure as hell ain't coming from hardware or used games), ain't nobody actually dumping rooms from games they bought and any single player game that get's cracked is screwed (Denuvo is likely what has kept publisher releasing their games on PC day one instead of making people wait like R* and Sony).

The reason prices are so aggressive on PC storefronts is because they are competing with piracy, any game with a multiplayer component retains it's value for a lot longer (that's why devs get pushed more and more into the direction of GaaS and why there isn't AAA single player PC exclusives anymore).

If you ever sailed the high seas look at what game is being wildly pirated this year, as far as AAA goes it's God of War.
Console game prices are kind of a joke. It's why 5 years later Mario Odyssey is still 60 dollars. You can't buy keys anywhere else and when you do they match physical prices, make it make sense (you can't)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cragarmi

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Well that’s Nintendo they have done this for generations. Most other consoles drop prices quickly albeit not as fast as pc stores.
True, but I'm just saying that physical and digital have two completely different competing principles. That same practice spilled over into PC stores despite having zero reason to do so.

Hitman 3 digitally on consoles has been the same price physically and digitally, even though the only thing causing it is that you don't want to piss off Walmart and GameStop

Reactions: Warnen

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Console game prices are kind of a joke. It's why 5 years later Mario Odyssey is still 60 dollars. You can't buy keys anywhere else and when you do they match physical prices, make it make sense (you can't)
Prices are based in offer vs demand.
That is the reason consoles publishers can keep the price high.

That is how market behaves in any sector.

BTW I truly believes people that buy/play older gamers are exceptions and not the most part of gamers that buy consoles.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Can I just do another patented swift_Star response?

Ahh these poor console gamers, having to be stuck with outdated systems for years...

Did I do it right?
You don’t like facts. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And you haven’t been able to deny anything I’ve said.
Don’t buy the games then. You were actually given the reasons why games on pc are cheaper. Why are you ignoring this?

• haha

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
No options? lol....

Gamefly (rentals)
PS Plus Essential - Premium (rentals)
Gamepass (rentals)
Amazon/Ebay used-games market.
Retail stores worldwide for physical games (new/used), including mom and pop stores.
3 hardware manufacturers with distinctive software offerings across multiple generations.
Gamesharing

It's the "open platform" that's handicapped to hell and back by the monopoly of store fronts, and more specifically, the only true, effective sovereign aka Steam....to go along with the complete disappearance of physical media on PC. The saving grace of the platform, hard to admit, is piracy, and unsanctioned emulation of, you guessed it, console hardware and its software. A practice that comes about the fact that the platform is left out of significant offerings found on consoles (and its not just "first party exclusives"). It's what it's.

On the "open platform" you're stuck with pricing from the Steam/Epic storefronts. There is no way out of that pricing mechanism and "competition", except, piracy.
Exactly.
Not only have I not paid exact 70 for a game yet on ps5 but many of games I got just cheaper. Rule is to almost never buy in media markt.
There are few smaller retailer and online games shops who (who knows how) usually have new games 5-10usd cheaper than media markt.
Then of course there are used games which is a market that completely does not exist on pc.
So sure, New NEW games might be a bit more expensive than pc (by pc I mean cdkeys since steam is just as expensive) but I have few options to purchase and I "own" the game. I have something. It's not just renting

For example. Ghost of tsushima DC for ps5 is 70usd in media markt. Official Sony retailer here.
And it's 46usd if I get from other place. New in foil just the same.
It's also included in PS extra tier

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

Hey guys.. this is an excellent heated thread that's bringing a lot of involvement by the community.

HOWEVER - KEEP IT CLEAN! I feel it's borderlining on a slippery slope of insults (which is a no-no on this site).

BE RESPECTFUL while trying to make your point.

READ our STICKY on the rules of engagement if you are unsure of how to post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Still avoiding the point I'm making:
  • You spend fortunes on hardware
  • You bitch over game prices
These are facts. Simple cold hard facts.
Keep spinning, though.
These are two different things, not mutually exclusive to one another.

Millions of PC gamers also spent 10/15$ a month on world of Warcraft registration alone... Many also got early access to completely free Indie titles like Cave Story before they got paid console releases.

We also get free games on Epic, etc.

And we can buy full price AAA games, keep playing them for years on our brand new PCs (the first time I played half-life 2 it could barely run at 1280*1080 at almost 60fps... Now a days the same copy can run at 4k licked 60, but it could run at much more fps if I did not cheap out on the monitor).

Why deny these things? I'm not going to buy all games on Steam day one because I have a pretty decent PC so Gabe doesn't think I am cheap.

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
To be honest I generally look at steam reviews to see if a multiplat game is good, even if I'm buying it for console eg. Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge, Alex Kidd Miracle World DX i find it more trust worthy. Also, who cares if you haven't heard of any of those games in the 2022 list.

Status
Not open for further replies.