Do you think SIE leadership are imcompetent?

SIE competence

• Total voters

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Given that they had to acquire entire studios and make changes to pretty much every one of their studios so that they had to learn how to support PC and all the complications that come with it the results are just laughable.

It's very suspicious that the same people that just the other day were pointing out how advantageous it was for SE to develop only a single version of FFXVI are now saying that supporting PC is "free money".

Another narrative that PC ports destroy is the one about the Series S holding back games when these PlayStation ports actually run in inferior hardware to what the Series S has.
It is simpler to develop for one platform hence why ff16 was developed for ps first. The pc Verizon won’t even be ready in 6months when the exclusivity experies. Pc is still free money. The pc ports aren’t being developed for ps games at the same time as the ps5. The fact that the pc ports are launching somewhat rough prove its easier to develop and optimize for one platform. Series s is garbage stop talking nonsense

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It is simpler to develop for one platform hence why ff16 was developed for ps first. The pc Verizon won’t even be ready in 6months when the exclusivity experies. Pc is still free money. The pc ports aren’t being developed for ps games at the same time as the ps5. The fact that the pc ports are launching somewhat rough prove its easier to develop and optimize for one platform. Series s is garbage stop talking nonsense
It's going to take 6 months to develop it yet it's free money? Sure...

The PC ports are being developed by PlayStation studios, Naughty Dog made the fucked up TLoU Part I port for example.

Series S is better than the minimum specs of Ratchet and Clank, deal with it.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
You all know the answer, Jim Ryan is one of the worst CEOs ever. This obsession some people have with Jim Ryan is absolutely creepy. What does have Jim Ryan accomplished? For example see Japan/Asia this are deals which have been made by other competent people like Shuhei Yoshida, Christan Svensson and Keiichiro Urata. Jim Ryan does only care about one thing: Call of Duty and Heavy Hitter franchises. Do you really think Jim Ryan would care about charming Indie game like Stray, Cult of the Lambs or Japanese games like Octopath Traveler II? Nah keep it real, he only cares about profits. That’s why Japan Studio was closed. Something like Rise of Ronin or Lost Soul Aside would never have seen the light if not Shuhei have been there. He cried constantly for two years about COD. All big game announcements were kept at low flame even the PlayStation Showcase was intended to be low profile, for the sake of Activision Blizzard deal to fail. Same goes for Hermen Hulst, he only acquires useless studios which have their focus on GaaS. Haven is trash. Wasting resources for PC porting, for an ungrateful audience which even don’t buy these games. At best they buy them for peanuts from illegal key retailers or even pirate them. Wouldn’t have been Bungie’s revenue then Sony projected results would have been way worse for PC segment. Stop admiring Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst. The sooner they get both sacked the better. Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst can go to hell.

I agree the obsession with Jim Ryan is odd. It's amazing how much more venom is spewed towards him and Hulst every time there is any good XBox news.

OT: No, SIE leadership is not incompetent. You may not like the decisions that are being made, but that's personal preference. For me, I have no idea how the GAAS push will play out long-term and prefer to withhold judgment due to that. For the record I don't like GAAS games and won't play them, but will wait and see whether single-player games are adversely impacted. As for partners being taken away, that's on MS and a system where regulators are unable or unwilling to enforce a level competitive field and healthy consumer choice. Blaming Sony for that is unreasonable.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's amazing how much more venom is spewed towards him and Hulst every time there is any good XBox news.
It's hard not to be mad. Phil is completely obsessed with taking down Sony. Every move he makes is to target Sony while he hides behind Cloud and mobile to get the funds. Remember he only wanted to give them COD for 3 years while pretending it was for King.

The Square deal is another obvious strike. He wants those memes and pictures to spread like wildfire. Same for Kojima, Crash and Sega. His dream of being on top of the gaming empire is getting closer every month.

Eventually he will get the killing blow.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It's hard not to be mad. Phil is completely obsessed with taking down Sony. Every move he makes is to target Sony while he hides behind Cloud and mobile to get the funds. Remember he only wanted to give them COD for 3 years while pretending it was for King.

The Square deal is another obvious strike. He wants those memes and pictures to spread like wildfire. Same for Kojima, Crash and Sega. His dream of being on top of the gaming empire is getting closer every month.

Give enough chances to your competition thinking you are untouchable and eventually they are going to land something that will knock you out.

silva-weidman.gif

Xbox output has been atrocious for more than a decade but assuming it's always going to be like that is extremely naïve, specially since they have invested a lot since 2018 (even if it hasn't resulted in very much so far). For how much they fucked up it's actually impressive that they didn't give up and actually decided to invest $80B+ on a struggling division.

Imagine the Xbox PR machine and their aggressiveness if they actually had the games and market share to back that up. It would not be surprising if next gen PlayStation had to go against that with less games than ever and a bunch of studios having just release a bunch of flopped GaaS.

Last edited:

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

I'm not so sure. Gaming is a creative field and, so far, Phil has been unable to bludgeon his way to the top. It's been years of trying too. His attitude about great games not making a difference is very telling, as well. I'm open to being wrong, but XBox market share is shrinking - not expanding. There's also the glaring issue of the lack of world wide appeal for their product and services. There's just some fundamental problems with the way MS approaches gaming - problems that Sony and Nintendo don't share. As well, with the amount of money MS is spending - there is going to have to be results sooner rather than later. At this rate, those results are not going to materialize.

Maybe it's because I don't care for social media, but I don't see how their over reliance on shills and astroturfing has produced any real results. Sure, it's annoying but it's not making any difference. All I see is a company relying on tactics that worked in other areas for them, but isn't helping them here. Focusing on games seems to be the one thing MS and Phil refuse to do, and it's the one thing they absolutely need to do. PS outselling the Series consoles by such a wide margin, Game Pass sub rates stagnating, lack of hype for their first party releases, and lack of sales for the already released ones are all signs of this.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

Wow....I forgot all about the cringey Xbox team pictures with Kojima, those losers want to feel included so badly while bringing nothing new to the culture. They just wait for Sony to make something successful then try to jump on.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
People bitching about Sony Japan closing...
Did everybody forgot how poorly the last Sony Japan games sold?
Also majority of Sony japan became Team Asobi.

I'm sure the doomers here will try and convince us that Knack 1 and 2 were masterpieces

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The same amount from nintendo and microsoft

Sony aren’t any more secretive than the rest of the industry. Nintendo doesn’t have any dated games for 2024, just allusion to the Peach game. Microsoft have Avowed and Hellblade with no dates.

Sony has Concord dated for 2024 and Rise of The Ronin.

And we have two first party games releasing the 2nd half of this year, Spider-Man 2 and Helldivers 2, just like the two other platform holders

I didn't talk about Nintendo or Xbox, I talked about Sony. Truth is, since the previous pipeline of games dried up, they have fuck all to show. I'm sure people will be very happy when they announce 4 or 5 live service games next year, but only 1, maybe 2, single player games.

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
To what end though? Bear in mind, being purely reactionary is seen as a sign of weakness. Feeling the need to announce something because Phil makes a vague statement about potentially partnering on future games would reek of desperation.
I don't mean they need to react to xbox announcements, like how xbox did to the ps showcase which imo, reeks of desperation and "Me too, I exist please look at me".

I just want them to talk more about what they're cooking, just a few interviews and I'm good, like for example, Star Rail's console version is exclusive to Playstation, but they haven't talked about anything for it (mhyo also just gave us a vague release window), can they just mention for example which esrb rating the Wolverine game is aiming for? Which first party studio do they have making a fps?
Just these kinds of small communication on what they have coming up

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Wow....I forgot all about the cringey Xbox team pictures with Kojima, those losers want to feel included so badly while bringing nothing new to the culture. They just wait for Sony to make something successful then try to jump on.
They want to replace PlayStation, that is what they always intended. It's another WordPerfect, Netscape, CP/M situation.

PlayStation has GT? They create Forza.
PlayStation has Uncharted? They pay for Tomb Raider exclusivity and Indiana Jones.
Sega and Square Enix games do well on PlayStation? They pay those companies to become closer to Xbox.
Sony has MLB, they go around Sony's back to somehow put the games on Gamepass day one.
Sony is making games with Kojima they pay Kojima to make an Xbox exclusive game.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
If you guys think the leadership right now is incompetent, you weren't there during the PS3 gen. That gen was pure incompetence out the fucking gate.

Man it was bad, but stuff like that last SOCOM game during the pan network outage was super unfortunate. But PS+ monthly games was worth its price. When Sony announced PS+ was becoming online play mandatory outside of f2p games and media apps with PS4 I was like I ain't even mad, I'm already happily paying it for the quality of monthly games.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I don't get why the state of plays aren't more plentiful, but give dlc drop updates for titles that are out. A nice little throw away segment. "if you're still out there in the darkness, look for the light..." it's Malibu Stacey, but she's got a new hat! You can load up on new cosmetic items on TLOU Factions 1, and play this new level tomorrow. And be sure to pickup TLOU2 PS5 Remaster and TLOU Online coming this Xmas. Etc."

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't get why the state of plays aren't more plentiful, but give dlc drop updates for titles that are out. A nice little throw away segment. "if you're still out there in the darkness, look for the light..." it's Malibu Stacey, but she's got a new hat! You can load up on new cosmetic items on TLOU Factions 1, and play this new level tomorrow. And be sure to pickup TLOU2 PS5 Remaster and TLOU Online coming this Xmas. Etc."
Sony doesn't even care about getting some free positive coverage by announcing in advance features that they are working on and that are coming up in the next update or something. They think it's a good strategy to develop GaaS/multiplayer titles in complete secret, going against what pretty much the entire industry does.

They think it's ok to leave their fans in the dark for months or even years with like two or three future titles announced, they take for granted that people will just assume a lot of great things are coming.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I believe they are incompetent. I believe too much laurels have been rested-on from PS4, and things are looking very tough ahead.

They can't outspend MS in the console market, and they can't rely on regulators to protect mergers/buyouts from MS or whomever else is lurking (Tencent, Embracer, Saudis). The same really applies towards investing. I don't see the point unless it's 51% of the vote, but I especially don't see the point I'd Sony is always the little brother investor to someone else's (Tencent, Epic's) larger amount? General consensus is they should have moved earlier, protected what they could, not let 3P relationships suffer or other people buy/invest in those 3P.

I don't care how many couple of sales they have from PC sales, sorry, Steam Sales, that they didn't lose to piracy or youtube movies. That funding, time, development effort could have been redistributed to more dlc or new games or shorter release cycles/better support longtail. They're giving their golden goose eggs to Valve at less than console retail price, they're losing 70% of that sale to Steam or Epic, and meanwhile, Steam have their own fucking gaming OS, Store and handheld ffs. At least if Sony had their own performant PS4 Portable (Let's just say that, or a PS Deck to make the point of power level) they'd fend-off that 2nd front of the war ahead. But they're too stupid to see the pincher move.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Sony doesn't even care about getting some free positive coverage by announcing in advance features that they are working on and that are coming up in the next update or something. They think it's a good strategy to develop GaaS/multiplayer titles in complete secret, going against what pretty much the entire industry does.

They think it's ok to leave their fans in the dark for months or even years with like two or three future titles announced, they take for granted that people will just assume a lot of great things are coming.
Thank you!

If they'd have shown off TLOU P1 at any point of development, little snippets here and there, they'd have heard whilst still in development that "alot of people want TLOU2 fighting at least, if not jumping and prone too", "well, add the toggle as one of our many... "sandbox gameplay modifier" or accessibility options somewhere, and let's do both".

The Sony Silence is OK if everything was a banger and they weren't missing deadlines/having development issues, but we see these missed opportunities and stupid decisions, and seeming lack of awareness towards competitors... Jim Ryan is a complete muppet.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom