Final Fantasy XVI [OT] Clean Out Your PSClive Boys, We're Going Boss Hunting

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I'm about 10-ish hours in and they weren't kidding when they said they'll make the game more accessible to casual audiences. The combat just isn't too engaging. Even the Eikon fight seem more like QTEs than anything else.

I gave FF VII remake crap for its combat system but I felt more engaged playing that than I do this. The only thing that keeps me going is the story.

Story is the only thing keeping it going. The closer I get the end the more sour I get for this game. This last half is trash. Game of the year my balls. Game is like a 7. HALF BAKED

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The main quest line pace is becoming a issue for me.
Seems like they put a lot of quests that could be side-quests and not part of the main quest like these ones with Mid.
It becomes more apparente after Titan main quest.

And a sugestion for new entries... if you are going open world then it is better to let people go more vertical... you have even a jump button that feels useless because you can't jump in the houses or objects in the town... you have well invisible walls in all places... that makes me feel jelous of how free you are in the new Zelda games where you are free to jump or go in any place you have the ability to... like in real life.

BTW ended Bahamult yesterday night (still not feeling the QTE focused Eikon battles... the moveset doesn't help either).

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Story is the only thing keeping it going. The closer I get the end the more sour I get for this game. This last half is trash. Game of the year my balls. Game is like a 7. HALF BAKED
It is very easy game. Too easy for a game that will mostly sell to core fanbase.

Story is good. Some main quests feel like annoying side quests killing the pace.

Reactions: ethomaz

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Finished it a couple days ago.

Really mixed feelings on it because as a "video game", it's incredibly bland, basic, and feels like it's not even done. The story wanders, and has weak characterization. There is simply no growth for the main characters, and there are things that come up and are just ... dropped. The music is also completely forgettable (did not cancel the soundtrack pre order though), and I can only remember a track or two simply out of sheer repetition.

It's also definitely not an RPG. I don't know why this fact offends some people. You have no choice in how to play the game outside of a few VERY small things. The game is pure action, and kind of a button masher at that. It takes no skill. I even got a trophy for beating a boss without taking a single hit lol. I mean, come on. Enemy attacks are generally really telegraphed. Equipment is generally delved out at checkpoints, and the upgrade mechanic is weak as hell. You'll never be short on Gil unless you buy orchestrions. So whatever you need is easy to get. And potions are so limited because without that limit the game would be impossible to lose at. The game is linear to a fault IMO. And the side quests are just not fulfilling IMO. The game tells you were to go at ALL TIMES. There is no exploration whatsoever. You cant even talk to most townspeople (the few that are there). The world feels small and contained even though there are grand landscapes off in the distance quite often.

I really wish Clive did not look like a Dante wannabe. I also really wish the game wasn't such a Game of Thrones wanna be.

The Eikon battles are huge spectacles but complete trash from a gameplay standpoint. Even more easy than the regular combat on the few occasions you actually get to play them, and otherwise limited to sitting there watching a bunch of stupid DragonballZ-esque baloney happening. That kinda mindless over the top action is for kids. Which is funny since this game is supposedly geared towards "adults" but it comes across much more like a silly young adult novel. In just about every way.

Pros ..I liked some of the locations. Really imaginative vistas at times, but most of them were spoiled in trailers and pre-release hype, which really bummed me out. But still a very cool design aesthetic. I thought the ending was a bit touching but all I will say about that is that it didn't really come from the characters but the fact I have certain "life experience" I can relate to the ending. The best part of the game was Torgal, but animal buddies are always fun. I really liked the design of the chocobos in this game.

I know some people love this game, and that's fine. If you wanted a medieval-ish action game I suppose it sort of delivers. But it's still too easy, narrow, and just kinda silly. I don't think the game will age well and in a few years people will be much more realistic about what this game delivers.

I strongly, and I mean strongly feel that this game is getting some love it wouldn't otherwise get if it launched on the Xbox as well. The fact it's a PS exclusive makes me think some people are really desirous for it to be perceived as being better than it is. However, if you look at Gamefaqs forums, you'll see there are a LOT of people who do see this game for what it is already. I couldn't care less about platforms, so it being an exclusive does nothing for my perception of it. Only what it is as a game.

I would probably give it a 6/10 at best. Which is a bummer because this was my most anticipated game of the year. I thought it would be something fresh, and different and a real next-gen showcase. I ended up being shocked at what was delivered (or should I say, not delivered).

And with that, I am glad to be moving on. :)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Really mixed feelings on it because as a "video game", it's incredibly bland, basic, and feels like it's not even done. The story wanders, and has weak characterization. There is simply no growth for the main characters, and there are things that come up and are just ... dropped. The music is also completely forgettable (did not cancel the soundtrack pre order though), and I can only remember a track or two simply out of sheer repetition.

It's also definitely not an RPG. I don't know why this fact offends some people. You have no choice in how to play the game outside of a few VERY small things. The game is pure action, and kind of a button masher at that. It takes no skill. I even got a trophy for beating a boss without taking a single hit lol. I mean, come on. Enemy attacks are generally really telegraphed. Equipment is generally delved out at checkpoints, and the upgrade mechanic is weak as hell. You'll never be short on Gil unless you buy orchestrions. So whatever you need is easy to get. And potions are so limited because without that limit the game would be impossible to lose at. The game is linear to a fault IMO. And the side quests are just not fulfilling IMO. The game tells you were to go at ALL TIMES. There is no exploration whatsoever. You cant even talk to most townspeople (the few that are there). The world feels small and contained even though there are grand landscapes off in the distance quite often.

I really wish Clive did not look like a Dante wannabe. I also really wish the game wasn't such a Game of Thrones wanna be.

The Eikon battles are huge spectacles but complete trash from a gameplay standpoint. Even more easy than the regular combat on the few occasions you actually get to play them, and otherwise limited to sitting there watching a bunch of stupid DragonballZ-esque baloney happening. That kinda mindless over the top action is for kids. Which is funny since this game is supposedly geared towards "adults" but it comes across much more like a silly young adult novel. In just about every way.

Pros ..I liked some of the locations. Really imaginative vistas at times, but most of them were spoiled in trailers and pre-release hype, which really bummed me out. But still a very cool design aesthetic. I thought the ending was a bit touching but all I will say about that is that it didn't really come from the characters but the fact I have certain "life experience" I can relate to the ending. The best part of the game was Torgal, but animal buddies are always fun. I really liked the design of the chocobos in this game.

I know some people love this game, and that's fine. If you wanted a medieval-ish action game I suppose it sort of delivers. But it's still too easy, narrow, and just kinda silly. I don't think the game will age well and in a few years people will be much more realistic about what this game delivers.

I strongly, and I mean strongly feel that this game is getting some love it wouldn't otherwise get if it launched on the Xbox as well. The fact it's a PS exclusive makes me think some people are really desirous for it to be perceived as being better than it is. However, if you look at Gamefaqs forums, you'll see there are a LOT of people who do see this game for what it is already. I couldn't care less about platforms, so it being an exclusive does nothing for my perception of it. Only what it is as a game.

I would probably give it a 6/10 at best. Which is a bummer because this was my most anticipated game of the year. I thought it would be something fresh, and different and a real next-gen showcase. I ended up being shocked at what was delivered (or should I say, not delivered).

I share most of your criticism to the game and even a bit more.

Being realistic it is a big step up from FFXV but as FF franchise it is in my mid to low end... I give it a 8.5 because it is indeed a good game but nothing exceptional and they missed a lot of opportunities to shine (yes it has tons of potential).

I'm after Bahamuth part but I don't thing my issues with the game will get fixed up to the ending.

Edit - It is not the combat the lose the RPGs elements... the game as a whole has little RPGs elements... and I miss more character development even for the mains ones... Clive is suck a bland characters that says the same things all the time without any change of mentality or development during the journey... the others main cast are very weak imo and that includes Jill, Joshua, Mother (at first I though she was a character that could have strong development but ended well weak... a totally discaracterization of her), etc... maybe if Cid had more scene it could have shine in the game.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I share most of your criticism to the game and even a bit more.

Being realistic it is a big step up from FFXV but as FF franchise it is in my mid to low end... I give it a 8.5 because it is indeed a good game but nothing exceptional and they missed a lot of opportunities to shine (yes it has tons of potential).

I'm after Bahamuth part but I don't thing my issues with the game will get fixed up to the ending.

Edit - It is not the combat the lose the RPGs elements... the game as a whole has little RPGs elements... and I miss more character development even for the mains ones... Clive is suck a bland characters that says the same things all the time without any change of mentality or development during the journey.
Your issues won't get fixed. :p The game is exactly the same from the moment you start to when you finish.

I don't even care that it went to an action game. I expect things to change over time. But this game is a massive regression overall IMO. Have a better story (this whole small group of people overthrowing the empire thing is kinda old), and one that doesn't also rip off plot points from their own other games.

Things like Clive being the fire Eikon they were "chasing" and that he ended up being the one "killing Joshua" and destroying everything, was the same exact twist used with Fei and Id in Xenogears. Everything in this game is just clearly recycled material. It's not even a good remix, just straight lifted.

The game should have still had other characters you can control in your parties, and fight with. Make it less linear. Let me explore and find things that have a real pay off. Make the game world feel more alive, etc.

But like I said, it's fine, I am done with it so onto the next thing which is lookin like SF6 at this point. And also Starfield.

Reactions: Vertigo and ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Your issues won't get fixed. :p The game is exactly the same from the moment you start to when you finish.

I don't even care that it went to an action game. I expect things to change over time. But this game is a massive regression overall IMO. Have a better story (this whole small group of people overthrowing the empire thing is kinda old), and one that doesn't also rip off plot points from their own other games.

Things like Clive being the fire Eikon they were "chasing" and that he ended up being the one "killing Joshua" and destroying everything, was the same exact twist used with Fei and Id in Xenogears. Everything in this game is just clearly recycled material. It's not even a good remix, just straight lifted.

The game should have still had other characters you can control in your parties, and fight with. Make it less linear. Let me explore and find things that have a real pay off. Make the game world feel more alive, etc.

But like I said, it's fine, I am done with it so onto the next thing which is lookin like SF6 at this point. And also Starfield.
I'm looking forward for Baldur's Gate... I know it is not to everybody but I always liked so I will buy it next.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm out of the loop I guess.

Did you guys knows why is there a hard time to accept FFXVI sales in the site? Seems really coming from nowhere.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

I can buy complaints about the RPG depth and easiness, but no growth for the main characters? Thats just flat wrong. Clive a Dante wannabe? That's plain false. Game of Thrones wannabe? As reductive as you can get

No need to accuse others of only liking it for being an exclusive. Clearly you're letting your dislike of certain elements colour the whole experience.

Reactions: Box

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Man... We have to appreciate games like ff16. Full, real game. no dlc. Single player. FULL RELEAES ON A DISC. Not even patches needed.

I am gettin 30-50mbits today from ps5. Digital sucks donkey balls.
I have 600mbit connection that steam destroys btw. I have most ps5 games on physical. I love physical and I am of a mind that it's better to have ANY authority over my property than none at all. Even if I have to play unpatched, it's fine. Gold discs are fully playable start to finish.

And when psn is30mbit like today? Well there is nothing you can do. Absolutely null. ps5 is wired to my router, everything is fine. PSN just sucks ass today.
Makes my skin crawl because there is no one to call, nothing to do, nothing is broken. It just sucks sometimes.
Not to mention, on a good day, I get maybe 300mbits from psn. It always sucks a bit.

We cannot let physical die. It's what I described and then publishers adding launchers or removing music from older releases on steam.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I can buy complaints about the RPG depth and easiness, but no growth for the main characters? Thats just flat wrong. Clive a Dante wannabe? That's plain false. Game of Thrones wannabe? As reductive as you can get

No need to accuse others of only liking it for being an exclusive. Clearly you're letting your dislike of certain elements colour the whole experience.
Yeah if anything they didn't commit to Game of Thrones enough, midway through it turned into more of a shounen anime

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

When that Clive character development happens? Because I'm past Bahamut and it is still the same.
Let's not talk about Jill that is just a plant in the game... I mean a decorative object.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
When that Clive character development happens? Because I'm past Bahamut and it is still the same.
Let's not talk about Jill that is just a plant in the game... I mean a decorative object.
Are you sure you playing ffxvi?

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023

This is actually a really good review.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Are you sure you playing ffxvi?
Yes, but seems like you are not because you should know what I said if you were playing it.

But you know right now I watched a conversation/cutscene between Clive and Vivian and she start saying “You looks upset…” and I was like whaaaat? Clive face was the same from the whole 40 hours I played and his voice the same but for her he looked “upset” lol

And he is exactly the same as we played when younger 🤷‍♂️

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Yes, but seems like you are not because you should know what I said if you were playing it.

But you know right now I watched a conversation/cutscene between Clive and Vivian and she start saying “You looks upset…” and I was like whaaaat? Clive face was the same from the whole 40 hours I played and his voice the same but for her he looked “upset” lol

And he is exactly the same as we played when younger 🤷‍♂️
Fz83MFTWcAEIXU8

You not ready for this conversation
Just press R3+L3 to accept the truth

• haha
Reactions: Box and ethomaz