Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Excuse Me No GIF by Fluffy Friends

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It's bizarre that MS didn't create Steam before Valve did. I mean, they had everything at disposal to do it and they didn't do it. Why?
Microsoft wasn't really a games company before Xbox. I mean what did they have? Solitare and Minesweeper as part of the standard Windows package, Flight Simulator (which wasn't marketed as a game) and then what else?

edit: Oh, and they had the Sidewinder, which was a highly regarded PC joy-stick/flight stick. Yeah, not exactly a good jumping pad for an online store.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
xbox-game-pass.png

If these Consoles numbers are correct, it is worse than I expected
I was reading that Game Pass has an utterly mind-boggling churn rate, well over 50% monthly. For everyone who signs up, half as many leave, which is why the growth is missing targets.

There’s also been speculation that MS isn’t exactly honest about how much of the subscriber base are on free trials, most of whom never convert to paying customers.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I was reading that Game Pass has an utterly mind-boggling churn rate, well over 50% monthly. For everyone who signs up, half as many leave, which is why the growth is missing targets.

There’s also been speculation that MS isn’t exactly honest about how much of the subscriber base are on free trials, most of whom never convert to paying customers.
The trial was done that way to inflate numbers, they made it so easy to abuse that people would create trial accounts to sell for few bucks.

It would be interesting to find out how much the numbers will change now but I doubt MS will disclose it, maybe once Starfield releases.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
"15M PC players to enjoy Xbox Game Pass", this is saying that there are 15M PC players on MS store. Not that there are 15M PC gamepass users.
Yeah now that I look at that statement again the wording is very sus. I agree on 2nd inspection that's probably 15m MAU on either bethesda PC products or MS windows store, "getting access to" gamepass.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
You need to scroll down a bit to see his Job positions and not only his About.

Fs87BYbXoAAWqG3
The other interesting thing is that revenue only increased by 2 billion with 20 million subs? You'd assume it would be much higher (over $3 billion) if all users were paying the full flight all year

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Clearly spinning pc numbers. Now that’s out of the way…

This is very low. I forgot about Xbox One consoles… this was pretty underwhelming if it was just series consoles but when you consider last gen. EVEN WORSE!

Gamepass is a failure at the moment. Feel bad for Starfield … it’s not going to make half the money it would’ve otherwise. What’s worse that it’ll be gamepass pc.

I’m sure Todd Howard will be thrilled his newest creation and company is going to be bankrupted by Phil Spencer’s terrible gamepass strategy. I mean what does Microsoft care? Bethesda is the only company actually releasing exclusive software for their shit console this year and… MS was quick to cut them along with 343. Thing is tho… 343 earned it. Bethesda did not. Great work Phil.

80 million gamespass subs will be needed to match the revenue of what Starfield would sell as a full priced multi platform game. What would sell 20-30 million at 70$ is now a 10$ rental.

Last edited:

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
GP s dead model. Didnt know its that bad. Any other company d go bankrupt long ago. MS s covering loses. Unless they reach 50M in next few years i dont see this going in future.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Will take few more years.
For the Xbox Game Pass and Game Pass Ultimate, it is possible to stack your subscriptions up to 36 months. The Game Pass comes in 3 and 6 month subscriptions and the Game Pass Ultimate is available in 1 and 3 month subscriptions, so there's plenty of stacking to be done until you reach that 36 month mark!
Yup for those lucky few that did it before they pulled the deal it could be up to 3 Years but thinking about it i doubt many will have.
Maybe a small % did but overall from what i have seen and heard most people let there stacks run out and was waiting for Starfield to drop to pick it up again.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Microsoft wasn't really a games company before Xbox. I mean what did they have? Solitare and Minesweeper as part of the standard Windows package, Flight Simulator (which wasn't marketed as a game) and then what else?

edit: Oh, and they had the Sidewinder, which was a highly regarded PC joy-stick/flight stick. Yeah, not exactly a good jumping pad for an online store.
They made these games, had multiple ones during the 80s and specially the 90s:

In the 80s Microsoft also did help to cocreate the MSX, which was then basically was a high end 8 bit computer standard that only became somewhat popular in Japan and got great games from some companies like Konami. In the case of Sony, they also made MSX related hardware like computers, displays or controllers.

Here you have a Sony wireless controller from 1984:

One of the Sony MSX computers:
Sony_HitBit_HB-10P_%28White_Background%29.jpg

In addition to hardware, Sony also published MSX games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MSX_games

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
The trial was done that way to inflate numbers, they made it so easy to abuse that people would create trial accounts to sell for few bucks.

It would be interesting to find out how much the numbers will change now but I doubt MS will disclose it, maybe once Starfield releases.
I still don’t think Starfield will matter that much.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They made these games, had multiple ones during the 80s and specially the 90s:

In the 80s Microsoft also did help to cocreate the MSX, which was then basically was a high end 8 bit computer standard that only became somewhat popular in Japan and got great games from some companies like Konami. In the case of Sony, they also made MSX related hardware like computers, displays or controllers.

Here you have a Sony wireless controller from 1984:

One of the Sony MSX computers:
Sony_HitBit_HB-10P_%28White_Background%29.jpg

In addition to hardware, Sony also published MSX games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MSX_games
I am aware of MSX and its weird cross-shaped direction pad. Its not really a gaming system any more than DOS or Windows is, though. Which is to say that games are on it, but that wasn't the main point.

I also clicked your link on Microsoft's published games and, yeah, its hardly the stellar lineup you think it is, lots of Flight Sim, lots of Entertainment Pack games getting their own, seperate, entries (bad form, Wikipedia,) lots of golf and, admittedly, a healthy third party publishing arm with a few select hits especially in the late 90s/early 2000s (Age of Empires, Zoo Tycoon, Outriders.) It probably would have been enough, with AoE and Halo:CE, to launch a Steam competitor but hindsight is 20/20. Same as how Nintendo or Sony "should" have launched Smartphones but it ended up being Apple instead and AOL "should" have become the social network that Facebook did.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Clearly spinning pc numbers. Now that’s out of the way…

This is very low. I forgot about Xbox One consoles… this was pretty underwhelming if it was just series consoles but when you consider last gen. EVEN WORSE!

Gamepass is a failure at the moment. Feel bad for Starfield … it’s not going to make half the money it would’ve otherwise. What’s worse that it’ll be gamepass pc.

I’m sure Todd Howard will be thrilled his newest creation and company is going to be bankrupted by Phil Spencer’s terrible gamepass strategy. I mean what does Microsoft care? Bethesda is the only company actually releasing exclusive software for their shit console this year and… MS was quick to cut them along with 343. Thing is tho… 343 earned it. Bethesda did not. Great work Phil.

80 million gamespass subs will be needed to match the revenue of what Starfield would sell as a full priced multi platform game. What would sell 20-30 million at 70$ is now a 10$ rental.
Todd will probably jump ship before their next game ships anyway.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters