Ghost of Yotei Announced | State of Play | 2025

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
By making Ghost of Yotei and making the franchise Ghost instead of Tsushima and Jin Sakai, they've immortalized the franchise out of the gate.

Jin wasn't super popular, going back to him didn't make a TON of sense, especially within the real-life timeline of the Mongols and Tsushima.

What they could do that would get people hyped is release an epilogue stand alone DLC set before Ghost of Yotei but after Iki Island, wrapping up Jin's story but using the engine as it exists today.

Either way, brilliant to move on and not get into a numbering schematic that largely keeps people out of the franchise.

This isn't like Legend of Zelda where you could just put Link in a different version of Hyrule or non Hyrule settings and reboot the game pretty much every (has there been a sequel other than Majora's mask?) outing.

I also wouldn't mind if they were to feature Miyamoto Musashi as a playable character, maybe in a DLC, but they do seem to be avoiding historical figures, which makes sense also.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Aren't you tired of old tale of losing all items and character getting amnesiac so that you get an improved skill tree in the sequel? This way it will be fresh.
It is part of the game. All games share the same building blocks. It is not an actual critic for game or games in general.

Can't we test your standard? Do you ever played a sequel?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
These people are beyond sad.

I guess it depends on how you're looking at it.

I doubt very much that they're "true believers", instead I believe they are content mongers, knowing full well what they're doing and playing characters to farm content and generate views. The more outrageous they are, the more views they get when people repost how outrageous they are.

I hadn't heard of many of these people until pretty recently.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
My guess for the primary plot of the game.

Based in 1603 isn't a coincidence. It's the first year of the Tokugawa era. It's essentially immediately after the events of the popular tv series Shogun, which takes place in 1600.

The game seems to take place on the outskirts, just outside of Japan. My guess is the new Ghost "Atsu" is hunting down ronin who killed her family and maybe burned down her village. Probably ronin who aren't accepting of the new Tokugawa shogunate and want to live as Ronin.

It's a cool time period. What's awkward is that Assassin's Creed Shadows takes place very close to that time period.

Reactions: ethomaz

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
There’s more. Lol

I think the joke will end up being on him, game will probably score a 90%+ and be one of the most stylish games out there.

Not only that, it will probably be one of the most stunning, especially on the ps5 pro.

There is going to be a lot of salt, tonnes of it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Petekilla

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
There’s more. Lol

Gaz is as usual full of shit.

There are a couple points specifically in the trailer that I would point out to him that make this ridiculous.

• Blood in the snow and pattern of the snow; looks absolutely real
  • Detail on the wolf, looks better than anything in Tsushima, compare this to the foxes you see in Tsushima...
  • Facial animations when speaking look next-gen compared to Tsushima, the eyes also look significantly better
  • Probably just a cutscene, but the night sky looks "day and night" better than in Tsushima where I don't think ever looked amazing at night time, this includes the northern lights in hokkaido at night
  • Running with the wild horses again is not something you could do on PS4
  • When Atsu steps into what looks like a restaurant/bar the character models look significantly higher detailed than what we saw in Tsushima and gives hope that the villages are better built out and more interactive

To do this 5 years after Tsushima when compared to Tsushima Directors cut on PS5 is something. Really crazy if this has a 60 fps mode on base console and looks like this. Maybe he is comparing it to 30 fps Hellblade 2, while looking nice has no real gameplay...

My guess is that like John Wick 3, you're going to be able to command wolves like they command dogs to fight.

Ultimately, we'll have to wait and see how the game actually looks, but if it looks like this trailer and no confirmation that it will, it looks far more cinematic than Tsushima (though you could say the same about Tsushima's announcement trailer).

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Things they should focus on

More emergent sandbox elements
Learn from RDR2 - survival and hunting elements. Random NPC encounters
Learn from Elden Ring - natural world design with variety of activities everywhere
Expanded hot spring content with new MC

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think the joke will end up being on him, game will probably score a 90%+ and be one of the most stylish games out there.

Not only that, it will probably be one of the most stunning, especially on the ps5 pro.

There is going to be a lot of salt, tonnes of it.

At this time last year, sony had "no big titles" scheduled for 2024

Now we have Ghost of Yotei, Death Stranding 2, and Marathon...

Ghost of Tsushima was nominated for Game of the Year, it was Sucker Punch's first time making a game like this
Death Stranding was nominated for Game of the Year, it was Kojima's first game out of Konami and first time using Decima
Destiny 2 was nominated for Best Ongoing Game

Sequels to two GOTY nominees and a new release from a studio with aa nominee for best new live service game.

And we're only in September...

I wish that the saltiness would end and eventually it kind of will. Xbox is dead and we're just waiting on the autopsy and until then content creators like Gaz will do their thing.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Things they should focus on

More emergent sandbox elements
Learn from RDR2 - survival and hunting elements. Random NPC encounters
Learn from Elden Ring - natural world design with variety of activities everywhere
Expanded hot spring content with new MC

I'm expecting a much more streamlined story here, while still being open world.

RDR2 took 8 years and a much larger team. The same is largely true of The Witcher 3.

I just don't think Sucker Punch has had the time or more importantly the scope to match that and they only have two open roles so its not like they're in surge mode (that was probably last year).

This game is unlikely to reuse as many assets as other SIE games, especially taking place in a completely different location in a completely different time.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Well Planetsmasher seems pretty excited for yotei so that alone should raise some eyebrows and the game should be approached with skepticism