Ghost of Yotei Announced | State of Play | 2025

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
All highborn women were samurai.

This is obviously not true, but it's probably irrelevant anyway.

Chances are the protagonist is an Ainu woman taking revenge on Japanese invaders.
IIRC Hokkaido only became a formal part of Japan after being annexed in the 1800s. The ethnic Ainu are actually a mix of Mongol and Chinese colonizers/invaders who probably also took northeast asians, perhaps as slaves, there (Vietnamese, Burmese, etc.).

I don't know what Ainu gender roles were, but if they were closer to the Mongol and Chinese then they should be very different from Japan.

Ghost of Yotei's protagonist being female should be rather accurate, if we're to trust in Insomniac as much as they deserve for Ghost of Tsushima.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that the main character's voice actor is a toxic piece of shit who should have never been considered for the job.
But one should be able to discern the art from the artist, IMO.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Chances are the protagonist is an Ainu woman taking revenge on Japanese invaders.
IIRC Hokkaido only became a formal part of Japan after being annexed in the 1800s. The ethnic Ainu are actually a mix of Mongol and Chinese colonizers/invaders who probably also took northeast asians, perhaps as slaves, there (Vietnamese, Burmese, etc.).

I don't know what Ainu gender roles were, but if they were closer to the Mongol and Chinese then they should be very different from Japan.

Ghost of Yotei's protagonist being female should be rather accurate, if we're to trust in Insomniac as much as they deserve for Ghost of Tsushima.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that the main character's voice actor is a toxic piece of shit who should have never been considered for the job.
There's a few possibilities: if Hokkaido/Ezo Fuji was essentially the wild west where criminals escaped from the shogunate's power, she could be a bounty hunter, or she could be someone whose clan was wiped out by a betrayal and came north to avenge her clan (you can see her crossing off the name of one of her victims in the trailer), she could be an Ainu (although after researching this maybe it's less likely since the previous Ainu rebellion ended in the 1400s). It's 1603 so the Tokugawa shogunate just formed after a civil war... plenty of material to work with.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
dude does nothing but nitpick everything, the game is literally in development and he's sitting on here whining about a chain...
If you understood the Ghost lore you'd understand why people as so negative of a..."clipped through chain" in a game in development v a fully released game. /s

• haha
Reactions: Exicide and EDMIX

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

During the Edo period, samurai was a social caste. The nobility of Japan. You're conflating samurai and bushi. One is a social caste, the other a job in that caste. It's also the period where samurai, in general, focused less on war and more on administration. They started doing more arts, practicing tea ceremonies. It's the Japanese Rennaisance.

So if she is an Ainu, this could be an interesting one. Had a look and they had pretty strict gender roles. So how did she train? And using Japanese weapons, no less. Now it's getting a bit confusing.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
During the Edo period, samurai was a social caste. The nobility of Japan. You're conflating samurai and bushi. One is a social caste, the other a job in that caste. It's also the period where samurai, in general, focused less on war and more on administration. They started doing more arts, practicing tea ceremonies. It's the Japanese Rennaisance.

So if she is an Ainu, this could be an interesting one. Had a look and they had pretty strict gender roles. So how did she train? And using Japanese weapons, no less. Now it's getting a bit confusing.
If she's Ainu it would probably be a case where she's orphaned at a young age and adopted by a Japanese person.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
You guys need to calm down and see how the game turns out.

If i based my media consuption on how producers and celebrities are in private, i'd have nothing to play, watch or listen to.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
200.gif

If you are not going to use this thread to discuss the game, then don't bother.

Open another thread in the appropriate subforum if you want to rant about the voice actress or politics in gaming.

Just not here.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
So I'm discussing the game , it looks good I'm absolutely fine with a female protagonist I'm sure it makes sense with her revenge story I don't agree with the voice actor they chose for her though (she's also the face & has done mocap wouldn't be surprised to see some shitty adlib in the game either since she proudly tweeted about some dumb shit she said in a wb cartoon series being included)

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Al Catone

Whiskers
Staff member
18 Jun 2024
If you want to keep going on about the politics of gaming then this thread is for that very purpose.

Anything you want to discuss further can go there, no new thread, no derailing others.