Ghost of Yotei Announced | State of Play | 2025

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
During the time the game takes place, only samurai were allowed to wear a katana. Everyone else was forbidden to do so. Or any other weapon, for that matter.
She clearly isn’t a samurai cause samurai didn’t wield 2 katana either

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
i checked. he wasn't.

Japanese swordsman, strategist, artist, and writer.
He was a samurai lol
It is really crazy how you guys have no ideia about Japansese culture lol

Historians in Japan diverges if he is THE GREATEST SAMURAI in the Japan history but all of them agree that he was one of the most skilled and influential figures in the samurai tradition.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
okey, he was. sure, with feather and ink :D
?

I don't get the joke.

He come from a samurai lineage... if I'm not wrong Fujiwara lineage.
He fought behind a domo (Toyotomi) like every other samurai.
After the war period he left and become a ronin (samurai without master).

Ask any Japansese if Miyamoto Musashi was a samuari lol
I'm not even sure why we are having this discussion... he is the most famous samurai in Japan.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
?

I don't get the joke.

He come from a samurai lineage... if I'm not wrong Fujiwara lineage.
He fought behind a domo (Toyotomi) like every other samurai.
After the big war he left and become a ronin (samurai without master).
Yes, he comes from Samurai lineage but his nature as a wanderer and focusing so much on art, writing and instructing others in fencing don't really fit the traditional idea of a samurai lifestyle.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yes, he comes from Samurai lineage but his nature as a wanderer and focusing so much on art, writing and instructing others in fencing don't really fit the traditional idea of a samurai lifestyle.
I'm a bit confuse here... what is exactly samurai lifestyle?
Samuari is a social class based in lineage for most of the period in Japan.

The lifestyle you say probably is the Bushido code that was more an invention of 19th century.
They had some popular code of honor and rituals but it was dependent of period or domo/region you where.
After all who decided where if you had to follow these where you domo.
In war times... well a lot of things where not "reported" or took that "blind" eyes to everything happening.... at the end you where used as a hero samurai that followed all the code of honor not matter what you really did in the war.
The opposite was used too... if a domo wanted to get rid of a samurai after the war ended then he used that code of honor to basically put the population against you and forcing you to commit the famous seppuko.
BTW seppuko was a political "weapon" in the scheme of the things.

Of course I'm not saying that there is no samurai that followed the honor code... because some really believed it was something beautiful inside the social of these periods.

BTW you talked about the Mussashi's bood before.

Maybe you will like that study:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm a bit confuse here... what is exactly samurai lifestyle?
Samuari is a social class based in lineage for most of the period in Japan.

The lifestyle you say probably is the Bushido code that was more an invention of 19th century.
They had some popular code of honor and rituals but it was dependent of period or domo/region you where.
After all who decided where if you had to follow these where you domo.
In war times... well a lot of things where not "reported" or took that "blind" eyes to everything happening.... at the end you where used as a hero samurai that followed all the code of honor not matter what you really did in the war.
The opposite was used too... if a domo wanted to get rid of a samurai after the war ended then he used that code of honor to basically put the population against you and forcing you to commit the famous seppuko.
BTW seppuko was a political "weapon" in the scheme of the things.

Of course I'm not saying that there is no samurai that followed the honor code... because some really believed it was something beautiful inside the social of these periods.

BTW you talked about the Mussashi's bood before.

Maybe you will like that study:

I just mean that traditionally Samurai class would serve one master and be granted lands that they would reside on and protect... Whereas Musashi's lifestyle differed greatly from that.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Some Samurai’s lineages dual wield. Its just not common.
The lineage I train with dual wields but nothing is shown for years and years. Ive seen Kuroda Sensei’s son dual wield but never seen himself do it in public or videos. Others are different.

This isnt looking for realism tbh lol and Im sure the combat will be brilliant. Sucker Punch really surprised me with GOT from Infamous

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
@Papacheeks

Check out Shogun by James Clavell. It's what the recent series is based on. Not historically accurate but a very good read. Much better than the show.

Also Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa. I found Taiko better than Musashi. It's, again, not historically accurate but is based on the unification of Japan.

Reactions: ethomaz

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
@Papacheeks

Check out Shogun by James Clavell. It's what the recent series is based on. Not historically accurate but a very good read. Much better than the show.

Also Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa. I found Taiko better than Musashi. It's, again, not historically accurate but is based on the unification of Japan.
it is better than the show?
Oh My God Wow GIF