GOW Ragnarok will require a PSN account to play (any of it) on PC

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Do EA, Ubi, MS, and all the other big publishers require their accounts to be linked to Steam for single-player games?

I’m expecting Helldivers 2 to get review-bombed again soon because Steam users know they can hold it hostage against Sony.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Ryan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Do EA, Ubi, MS, and all the other big publishers require their accounts to be linked to Steam for single-player games?

I’m expecting Helldivers 2 to get review-bombed again soon because Steam users know they can hold it hostage against Sony.
Most do.

It's all absurd, Blizzard got away with not only not putting their games on Steam for a long time but also requiring always-on connection for single player games for many years, yet they turn on Sony for requiring something all other do just because it's PlayStation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: saltyashell

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Ubisoft does it for just about all their games, even installing a lite version of the UPlay launcher much to my annoyance.
The rest it varies by game, but *generally* its not a requirement? I think MS requires a Microsoft account for their Halo titles tho
Though it depends on what you mean by large publisher
I know Sega, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Capcom, and Koei Tecmo all don't require that and I'd consider them large publishers, but I mean, they're obviously not the juggernauts Sony and MS are

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Ubisoft does it for just about all their games, even installing a lite version of the UPlay launcher much to my annoyance.
The rest it varies by game, but *generally* its not a requirement. I think MS requires a Microsoft account for their Halo titles tho
Sega, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and Koei Tecmo all don't require that and I'd consider them large publishers, but I mean, they're obviously not the juggernauts Sony and MS are

Oh man, it is more messy than I thought then.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
PC players feeling really enticed to get a PS5 to play this game with sub 2 years delay windows for a complete and improved version of the game.

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
I prefer playing on my PC primarily, but if I can't play it offline I'll just play something else.

not to be that diablo guy talking about phones, but... dont you guys have internet?

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
not to be that diablo guy talking about phones, but... dont you guys have internet?
For most of my life I actually didn't ;-;
When I went to college I had more consistent access to the internet, but during summer breaks I'd return home to no internet for 3 months and play whatever I had downloaded. That's not a problem now that I live on my own but I still remember the day I tried to launch Nier Automata only to get an error that I needed to connect to the internet to launch it and my feelings then. Needless to say it was a bummer.

Reactions: Ico

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Wow didn't think Sony would do it.
Shitty move by them. I love it.

If I were a PC player I would boycott all their games on PC!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Helldivers 2 got more flak because they added it post release
And also because it's a really popular game
Go to any egs uplay or origin store exclusive and people complain. It's just...none of them added the requirement after the fact. Or removed it from sale in multiple countries after the fact. It was a combination of factors, not any one
They didn’t.
It was there at launch.
They removed post launch to mitigate the server issues.

People made up that story about not being there at launch.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Isn't this just going to increase pirating
How?

If you need to have your game authenticated to PSN no matter what hackers do Sony can block it because hackers doesn’t have access to Sony’s servers.

Without authentic with Sony servers you can’t play.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The rest it varies by game, but *generally* its not a requirement? I think MS requires a Microsoft account for their Halo titles tho
I know Sega, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Capcom, and Koei Tecmo all don't require that and I'd consider them large publishers, but I mean, they're obviously not the juggernauts Sony and MS are
Capcom requires Capcom ID to play Street Fighter V or VI.
You could play one mode without it with V but with VI I don’t think you can amymore… you need a Capcom ID to pass the title acreen in SFVI.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Capcom requires Capcom ID to play Street Fighter V or VI.
You could play one mode without it with V but with VI I don’t think you can amymore… you need a Capcom ID to pass the title acreen in SFVI.
Do those count as single player games? Entropi asked about single-player games.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Do those count as single player games? Entropi asked about single-player games.
Most of Street Fighter content is single-player… yes.

World Tour, Arcade, Practice, Versus (it is allow vs CPU or local multiplayer… not online) and Special Matches are all single-player.

Online and Battle Hub are the only modes with multiplayer (online).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TrishaCat