Horizon Forbidden West climbing the Steam top sellers list. |UP| Releases on Steam with lower player count than Zero: Dawn.

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Can people learn how to stay on Topic for once and not derail threads pointing fingers and claiming people are Alts.
Schitts Creek Ugh GIF by CBC

No we can't. We are still a small forum so when we see a new face we go straight for their throats.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The thing is that their first party games combined are making $400-500M per year outside PS, being a most of that profit, not $12M. And every year they make way more than the previous one.

This while they keep improving their metrics on PS, where as an example they have a record active userbase with a record spend per user, record software sales or record game subs revenue.

With PC they are growing their brand reaching to millions of new customers and fans, they aren't damaging it.

A late port only needs a few people working during a few months and minimal marketing. Which according to the leaked Insomniac docs costs around $2M.

Sony already took their decision time ago: some of their GaaS will be day one on PC. For the rest of their games, those who would be ported would be relesed as a port/remaster/remake in PC minimum around a couple years after their original (not the one of the remaster/remake) release date.
With most of work on Spider-Man 2 PC already done by Insomniac. I believe the cost of making PC version is really high. That 2 million is probably for finalizing the port.
Spider-Man 2 will release on PC because its already developed but I am not sure if upcoming games will. Sony will focus on GaaS and release them day and date on PC

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
With most of work on Spider-Man 2 PC already done by Insomniac. I believe the cost of making PC version is really high. That 2 million is probably for finalizing the port.
Spider-Man 2 will release on PC because its already developed but I am not sure if upcoming games will. Sony will focus on GaaS and release them day and date on PC
Insomniac does the PS5 game, Nixxes does the PC port. This is why they bought Nixxes, to give them the PC ports and don't have teams like Insomniac or Guerrilla to worry or get busy with PC ports.

Nowadays even console exclusive games are developed in PCs, and devs test them during most of the development on PCs because it's faster and cheaper for them. The leaked Spider-Man 2 build wasn't a commercial PC port, i was the in-development PS5 build.

To make the proper PC port there are many things to do like to support many PC specific features, controls, achievements, resolutions, extra visual settings to make it more scalable, adding different scaling or AA tech and so on, support more GPU and sound cards and a long etc.

Sony said some of their GaaS will release day one on PC, and said internal PS Studios games ported to PC would do keeping a margin of minimum around two years from their original PS release. Meaning, a PC port/remaster/remake could be released closer to a PS5 port/remaster/remake, or maybe even at the same time, when the original version wasn't that one, but a previous one instead. This is what they said and what they are doing. In the future who knows, they may change their plans.

Regarding GaaS, they never said they are their focus. The opposite, GaaS represent a minority of their games under development. At some point they said they had more than 25 games under development at PS Studios (+the Bungie ones), being 12 of them GaaS. And 12 is a minority of more than 25.

They will release more GaaS than before, but they will also release more non-GaaS than before.

Last edited:
Reactions: mibu no ookami

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Insomniac does the PS5 game, Nixxes does the PC port. This is why they bought Nixxes, to give them the PC ports and don't have teams like Insomniac or Guerrilla to worry or get busy with PC ports.

Nowadays even console exclusive games are developed in PCs, and devs test them during most of the development on PCs because it's faster and cheaper for them. The leaked Spider-Man 2 build wasn't a commercial PC port, i was the in-development PS5 build.

To make the proper PC port there are many things to do like to support many PC specific features, controls, achievements, resolutions, extra visual settings to make it more scalable, adding different scaling or AA tech and so on, support more GPU and sound cards and a long etc.

Sony said some of their GaaS will release day one on PC, and said internal PS Studios games ported to PC would do keeping a margin of minimum around two years from their original PS release. Meaning, a PC port/remaster/remake could be released closer to a PS5 port/remaster/remake, or maybe even at the same time, when the original version wasn't that one, but a previous one instead. This is what they said and what they are doing. In the future who knows, they may change their plans.

Regarding GaaS, they never said they are their focus. The opposite, GaaS represent a minority of their games under development. At some point they said they had more than 25 games under development at PS Studios (+the Bungie ones), being 12 of them GaaS. And 12 is a minority of more than 25.

They will release more GaaS than before, but they will also release more non-GaaS than before.
Insomniac already did the PC port of Spider-Man 2 and it's already playable.

I didn't say GaaS will be their focus, I said GaaS is what makes more sense for PC expansion.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Insomniac already did the PC port of Spider-Man 2 and it's already playable.
Nixxes does the PC ports of the Insomniac games, not Insomniac themselves.

What was playable wasn't the PC port of the game, it was a development build of the PS5 version of the game. That like all other console games are developed in a PC and can be played and tested in a PC. But unlike a commercial port, pretty likely isn't optimized to run on your low tier laptop, but instead needs to run on the NASA-like PCs that their devs have because it's only optimized to run on the console, with the overhead of debugging and profiling stuff.

Reactions: Polyh3dron

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
With Helldivers 2 apparently they are selling similar numbers than in PS.This means, let's say they do 100 in PS. With PC, 200. Removing the Steam cut (assuming Sony doesn't have a special deal to pay under the 30%), 170. The difference vs what they did in PS, 100, wasn't to lose 30, it has been earning 70.
I think it's more like earning 50 or even 40, because I think a certain part of the people who buyed it on PC probably possess also a PS5 and would have bought the game on it, if that was the only option. On the other side, I think it's wrong to calculate 100 on the PS side because probably about an half of the copies sold for PS were physical, and retailer take 30% also, I believe.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's also wrong to calculate 30 for steam be cause we know that after a certain threshold of USD sold the cut is lower, besides we do not know if Sony negotiated a lower cut.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
My prediction for this is 300-250k ltd for its launch window (3 -6 months).

This isn’t Zelda. Some old port of a game that arguably does well because of the strength of the PlayStation platform itself. Ragnarok tho? Will absolutely bitchslap horizon’s pc numbers.

And newsflash… most steam users will not be able to run this game anywhere near ps5 spec. Master race my balls. Most steam users are poor and running toasters.

Comparing its 2 year late launch numbers to day one multiplatform launches of tentpole releases is a bit … dumb? Nonsensical? Take your pick.

We all saw how badly you guys botched Helldivers estimates with flawed and bogus multipliers (and the assumption that ps was the larger piece of the pie — WRONG) and the copium applied to FF16 falling off a cliff.

Easy money even when no one gives a shit it came out this week. The worse play they did with horizon was sacrifice it to promote ps extra.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luffy123

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Some differences to notice between the launch of HZD and HFW on Steam:

- HZD had great regional pricing, like truly great regional pricing and Sony followed Valves recommendations, regional pricing is a big reason why PC gaming has taken off in poorer regions/countries where consoles haven't. For some reasom a few months later Sony changed the regional pricing for HZD and made it a lot worse and HFW has terrible regional pricing

- HZD was not blocked in Russia at launch, Russia is a gigantic PC gaming country, all other Sony games has been blocked for purchase in Russia (due to the war)

- HZD had very little competition with other games at launch, HFW has more competition with Dragons Dogma 2

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Nixxes does the PC ports of the Insomniac games, not Insomniac themselves.

What was playable wasn't the PC port of the game, it was a development build of the PS5 version of the game. That like all other console games are developed in a PC and can be played and tested in a PC. But unlike a commercial port, pretty likely isn't optimized to run on your low tier laptop, but instead needs to run on the NASA-like PCs that their devs have because it's only optimized to run on the console, with the overhead of debugging and profiling stuff.
Eitherway, my point is that numbers will dictate Sony's strategy with PC. So far, multiplayer and GaaS such as Helldivers 2 is what worked for them. They will make these games and release them day and date on PC.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

- HZD had great regional pricing, like truly great regional pricing and Sony followed Valves recommendations, regional pricing is a big reason why PC gaming has taken off in poorer regions/countries where consoles haven't. For some reasom a few months later Sony changed the regional pricing for HZD and made it a lot worse and HFW has terrible regional pricing

- HZD was not blocked in Russia at launch, Russia is a gigantic PC gaming country, all other Sony games has been blocked for purchase in Russia (due to the war)

- HZD had very little competition with other games at launch, HFW has more competition with Dragons Dogma 2

Dragon’s Dogma definitely hurts any open world like rpg-like game. Players will most likely choose what’s popping on their friend’s list; and that’s definitely going to be capcom’s game over an overpriced late Horizon and Ronin on console.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Eitherway, my point is that numbers will dictate Sony's strategy with PC. So far, multiplayer and GaaS such as Helldivers 2 is what worked for them. They will make these games and release them day and date on PC.
Before the GaaS and MP of Helldiver 2 their PC business was already genrating hundreds of millions per year and having a great growth, pretty much in line with their forecast. This fiscal year they'll make pretty likely way more than estimated.

Their strategy is working great as they expected, so they won't change it. They'll continue as planned: some (most) GaaS day one on PC, non-GaaS traditional titles ported after minimum around a couple years from their orginal (not the PS5 remaster/remake/port one) release.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

A bunch of BS reasons that could apply to almost all games coming out today and for the last 2 or 3 years. Even Helldivers.

Russia🤦‍♂️