How many concurrent players will God Of War Ragnarok have on Steam?

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
It does need that (and potentially more) if there were lost sales on console due to people waiting for a PC version.

Which has been happening gradually more and more with many games getting very expected late PC ports, including SIE's titles. And we saw this in bigger effect with FF XVI and Rebirth, as Square-Enix (with or without SIE's help we don't know) basically went out of their way to tell players "Hey, don't buy this on PS5 right now because we're gonna start talking about and mentioning the PC version before the PS5 version even ships!"

Then they wonder why they missed sales targets (among other reasons) :/

When a company needs 2-4 buyers on PC to equal the revenue generated from a single buyer on console, then that should tell you a lot right there. What we know for a fact is that this past FY, SIE generated ~ $700 million in "non-PlayStation" software revenue, but did not specify that between Steam, GOG, EGS, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch. And the FY prior, they missed their $250 million target by $50 million specific to PC.

Missing the FY 2022 PC revenue target and bundling in PC FY 2023 revenue with other platforms would at least suggest the growth on PC was not to initial FY 2023 PC revenue targets, due to several other underperformers offsetting whatever gains Helldivers 2 made in the two months before their 2023 FY closing.

And somehow the fact that most of those revenues are from Destiny 2 is always forgotten.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Concurrent Players are not estimates for total sales.

for the record I completely forgot this game was coming to PC, wanna know why? Suffering the same problem FF16 did, NO ADVERTISEMENTS. If you want Sony to extremely well on PC, they should release the one thing PC has been asking for, for literal years. Bloodborne. That would be their golden ticket, but they want to sit around and do nothing with the IP, they would prefer it to die rather than do anything with it. People are literally emulating the game because of Sony's inaction and they can't blame anyone but themselves, Bloodborne doesn't even have a PS5 port, it's just backwards compatible.

also, Sony is requiring a PSN account, which further limits the amount of people who can actually buy and play the game, remember the whole HD2 fiasco? It's that all over again but instead of selling and then taking it away, they did it from the start.

sidenote, its at 14.7k now, just broke peak again.
You always pop up in these threads with your damage control 🤣

GOT had the same PSN restrictions and it went up to 77k, Ragnarok should go up to 80k+ with the magical franchise PC "growth" but it's not looking good. We'll see.

And somehow the fact that most of those revenues are from Destiny 2 is always forgotten.
And they had to pay 3.4 billions to add these few millions in the PC category. They are 100% irrelevant but Yurinka and co keeps adding them to inflate the numbers.

Reactions: arvfab

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
You always pop up in these threads with your damage control 🤣

GOT had the same PSN restrictions and it went up to 77k, Ragnarok should go up to 80k+ with the magical franchise PC "growth" but it's not looking good. We'll see.

And they had to pay 3.4 billions to add these few millions in the PC category. They are 100% irrelevant but Yurinka and co keeps adding them to inflate the numbers.
GoT was a title that's been wanted ever since the announcement of it way back on PS4. GoW:R is a sequel to a departure of the original game series, for the record, I liked it, but I do think it is vastly different from what it used to be back in the original trilogy. God of War 2018 had about a ~74k concurrent peak when it came out in 2022 on PC. I expect Ragnarok to be about the same, maybe more.

Regardless, Sony sees success on PC, I don't think they're changing their plans just because of a few games that didn't perform like they did 4+ years ago. If you're expecting those numbers, it's not going to happen if you release years later, anyone who would've wanted to play it THAT badly would have gotten, or already has a PS5. Sony saw the success Day & Date had with Helldivers 2, hopefully they realize that's what they need to continue.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Well the pc community seems to be providing a healthy dose of reality check to Playstation. They thought that all they have to do is release their games on steam and magically they will get another 5-10 million sales for each game.

Ragnarok even is uniquely distinguished to land up on the DEI detected curator page lmao, that curator group is half a million strong and the discourse they will bring will at least discourage another 1-1.5 million people from buying the game

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Well the pc community seems to be providing a healthy dose of reality check to Playstation. They thought that all they have to do is release their games on steam and magically they will get another 5-10 million sales for each game.

Ragnarok even is uniquely distinguished to land up on the DEI detected curator page lmao, that curator group is half a million strong and the discourse they will bring will at least discourage another 1-1.5 million people from buying the game
that group is weak, crazy how they pass up actual gems because they see women (that aren't hot to them), other sexualities, or races in a game.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Do you look at twitter, instagram, facebook posts? Do you see forums?
Yes I do. And most of the dissent around stuff like PS5 pro, Concord, etc are coming from other gamers.

Not necessarily big publications, who write some negative articles.
I mean no name people on Twitter showing up to drop a roast on the PS5 pro.
People with triple digit youtube sub counts talking bad about the current state of Playstation.
Typical forum trolls making memes over the price.
Microsoft doesn't fucking know about those people and they likely aren't gonna all of a sudden start paying them to shit talk the ps5.

People in discord servers, group chats, irl shit talking the PS5 pro. All of them are not being paid by Microsoft I know for a fact.

And you want to know why I don't think Xbox is paying any of these people? It's all talk about PS being bad and not Xbox being good. Actually Xbox astroturfers are too busy doing tricks on the green crossed glizzy to shit talk Playstation all day.

You suggest buying an Xbox to these exact same Playstation critics and they laugh in your face. And oftentimes you'll be the only one in the convo who has brought up Xbox. The console is irrelevant. Not even hated. Just dead. MS astroturfers would be the first to say "buy an Xbox"

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It will have decent numbers but less. It's a worse game after all, same as HFW to HZD. And it doubles down on wokeness.

Although I heard it has a rogue like mode. Thats a plus if it adds replay value.

Is say outside of story, Ragnarok and HFW are better than the 1st games. Better combat, more bosses and enemies, more weapons. More things to do. Well the things I like more of. Plus Better graphics, performance etc.

Id say GOW 2018 had the better epic boss fights but Ragnarok wasnt bad in that department.

I cant remember Ragnarok being much more Woke. Horizon characters and NPC’s are just… meh

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Ignore him he thinks there is a huge marketplace for sales from his brethren in somalia, eritrea and chile. The game is available to be bought in every major country that has an economy worth a damn on steam
yeah bud you're a bit cooked if you believe I'm talking about those countries specifically, great job picking and choosing what countries to list

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes I do. And most of the dissent around stuff like PS5 pro, Concord, etc are coming from other gamers.

Not necessarily big publications, who write some negative articles.
?? Theres multiple articles and videos from VG media companies about both of these and many more PS topics.

Theres the monthly negative article by Bloomberg followed by Forbes every month or so lol.

And its been way before PS5 Pro and Concord. Its just gone up a level last few months
I dont know what your tryign to convince me of tbh

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Is say outside of story, Ragnarok and HFW are better than the 1st games. Better combat, more bosses and enemies, more weapons. More things to do. Well the things I like more of. Plus Better graphics, performance etc.

Id say GOW 2018 had the better epic boss fights but Ragnarok wasnt bad in that department.

I cant remember Ragnarok being much more Woke. Horizon characters and NPC’s are just… meh
I wont say ragnarok is woke per se, but they needlessly added bloat by including angrboda atreus sections and with angrboda being black in norse pantheon of ragnarok it seems like pandering. The marvelesque dialogue didnt help as well, Odin came out looking like a cheap old skeeve rather than the chief god of the norse.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Well in my case I powered through HZD ubisoftian design thanksto its visuals and most of all the story which was pretty intriguing, even if the characters were meh or plain dislikeable.

Seems HFW improved further on graphics and melee combat but the story is not as strong.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Well in my case. I powered through HZD due to its visuals and most of all the story which was pretty intriguing, even if the characters were meh.

Seems HFW improved further on graphics and melee combat but the story is not as strong.
I tried so hard to get through that game but it felt like such a drag, I have no idea why, I had to put it down.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
?? Theres multiple articles and videos from VG media companies about both of these and many more PS topics.

Theres the monthly negative article by Bloomberg followed by Forbes every month or so lol.

And its been way before PS5 Pro and Concord. Its just gone up a level last few months
I dont know what your tryign to convince me of tbh
Would like to see them then. I haven't seen many of these negative ps5 pro articles as opposed to YouTube videos and Twitter posts

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Regardless, Sony sees success on PC, I don't think they're changing their plans just because of a few games that didn't perform like they did 4+ years ago
If the sales are stagnant and selling less with each release, what is the point of making these small peanuts?

It's not growing the brand or giving them more prestige. It is actually the source of all their misery and endless PR disasters. They lose their relevance with each new release.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and Puff

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I wont say ragnarok is woke per se, but they needlessly added bloat by including angrboda atreus sections and with angrboda being black in norse pantheon of ragnarok it seems like pandering. The marvelesque dialogue didnt help as well, Odin came out looking like a cheap old skeeve rather than the chief god of the norse.

Yeah Im in 2 minds about Odin. I do like some of him. I think you nailed the part I didnt like about him. I was expecting a more Warrior like Zues not a New Yorker American lol.

The rest is fine. Not worth missing out on a great game for that. As a half asian, I never cared about white or black actors playing prince of persia etc. If you must see it as John Wayne playing as Ghengis Khan or Denzel playing Macbeth lol.

But yes sometimes I like historical accuracy, this isnt one of those times, especially as its mythos and nothing concrete. A TV series like HBO Rome, I expect to be accurate ( regardless of the many inaccuracies in the show lol )

Last edited: