i hope this move and backlash hurts PlayStation PC game sales to a point where Sony cancels their PC strategy altogether

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This forum is more a safe space to rant about PC gaming than it is about anything else.
Gonna-Cry-meme-1.jpg

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Why? Just stating the obvious.
Do you want people that don't like PC ports to be censored? Seems like you are the one that is asking for a safe place.

People here disagree on almost everything, the people that used to defend PC ports and defend Sony leadership decisions probably became too embraces to actively post due to how thing developed.

This is the least exciting time to be a PlayStation owned since pre-2009 PS3.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This forum is more a safe space to rant about PC gaming than it is about anything else.
Well yes.
You can rant about anything here. It just happens that more players are Playstation users here because any ps talk on other forums was considering fanboism.
And and pc critique was also considered ps fanboism.... So this is the outlet you can talk whatever you want.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
can you PLEASE... STOP pretending the fake outrage nonsense was about these countries? it was never about these countries, out of the "dozens" of countries listed, we're talking mostly African countries where internet connection is not even stable enough to support downloads, let alone decent multiplayer game matches to even exist, you know pretty damn well 99.5% of the users review bombing this game lived in PSN supported countries and were only bitching about a simple account link requirement they could've done 28 times with the time they took to write a review to bomb the game, the other 0.5% were Philippines and Puerto Rico users that bought the game and expressed reasonable concerns about not being able to play it, which now, thanks to you guys, they won't because you took all the chances they had to even purchase the fucking game on Steam

and before you come with the nonsense about these players, they could EASILY create a PSN account with other country, link the game once to their Steam account and never have to worry about it ever again, and before you come again with more nonsense about getting banned due to creating an account in another country, Sony NEVER bans accounts because of their countries, in fact, THERE ARE PEOPLE in countries like Puerto Rico and Philippines who have PlayStation consoles and use other region account to play games normally for YEARS and never ben banned, even tho it's on Sony's TOS, they want the maximmum amount of MAUs and PSN accounts, i myself have 6 accounts in different regions for more than 10 years now and i never got banned, you'll only get banned if you abuse buyout of games using gift cards with local currencies for the region you selected to create the account (example, create an Argentinian account and buy games massivly with their local curriency that is undervalued and allows me to get games way cheaper, and then log on my main account to play these games) which would not be the reason for someone that would not even access the PlayStation Store at all after creating the account

so congratulations for you whiny assholes, you only made everything for those at these countries worse

Yeah, banning accounts over this is extremely rare. I'm from western Europe and have multiple PSN accounts. Even bought games through my Hong Kong and Japanese accounts and never had an issue. Even if you live in a region where PSN isn't officially supported and contact Sony customer service, they'll just tell you to create an account from another country.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
PC players should boycott every Playstation game over having to deal with the trauma of linking a free account to Steam and some guy in Antarctica not being able to purchase the game.

I hope they have the balls to do it, and it's not just empty tears, like always. Let's see what you’re made of PCMR!

24 Jun 2022
I made on Twitter a tweet about how much I dislike the modern PlayStation and it's all thanks to Sony appointing Uncle Jim as CEO instead of Shuhei Yoshida. Lost 7 followers because of this post. I swear there are some blind PS fanboys out there on the internet. Just because I pointed out to the obvious that old Jimbo has not done the lord's work. Imagine worshipping and prefer Jim Ryan over a possible Shu as PS CEO.

Let's be fair here; this Helldivers 2 situation is post-Jim Ryan era. We still don't know all of the specifics of why they retired; there could be more there we don't know of. I thought Connie Booth was the one pushing internal SIE teams for GAAS but now she's at EA leading with the single-player stuff and teams like Bioware. So there may've been a misconception on that front, and there could be a misconception on Jim Ryan for all we know.

The botched handling of this HD2 PSN account linking stuff, it's firmly under Hiroki Totoki's watch. He's the interim CEO of SIE for the time being.

Systemshock just replies politely to threads here and there, they, the PC gamer. Now, the console gamer is out here making 3 threads a day and in the comments nonstop going about some delusion.

I'm sure you can tell who's obsessed between the two.

Yes because Systemshock represents all PC gamers (they don't) and Etifilio represents all console gamers (they don't).

But at least you've represented yourself as a generalizer 🙂👍

Not just a PR disaster. It's starting to affect console games. Ghost of Tsushima had performance issues after they implemented the PC crossplay patch a couple of weeks ago. I think it's fixed now but the game never had any performance issues before the patch.

It's also slowed down the release of 1P content for console. A lot of us assumed that Wolverine would be a 2024, 2025 game at latest when it was first revealed. Instead it's a 2026 release (going by the Insomniac ransomware hack/leak).

Then turns out PC development for Wolverine has been occurring simultaneously with the console one (even if PC dev is a bit further behind). The hackers and modders not only getting a build for Wolverine but also compiling a playable version may be a very severe (unintended) slap in the face to PlayStation console owners, but a slap in the face regardless.

It's very likely this will hurt Playstation overall if it isn't handled correctly, not just the PC business. PC players talk to console players. If the general sentiment is "fuck Sony" for a long time, it will trickle down.

Yep. Also depending on how this situation is resolved it could be indicative of SIE pulling similar stunts with the console fanbase, where erosion of trust would be magnitudes more severe.

I mean they already did some sus things like hiking up PS+ prices and increasing PS5 prices with the revision, but those had reasonable excuses behind them (well, the console price increase did, due to component costs increases and weakened Yen). But there are also a lot of little things like seemingly being disinterested in pushing PSVR2 for console (hoping PC salvages the product for some reason), etc.

Over time these sort of things can add up, and let's not even mention how little presence SIE seem to have in online enthusiasts spaces, or with the gaming media, letting Microsoft shills and astroturfers run narratives day and night (which Steam and Xbox fanboys latch onto & support endlessly). And occasionally you'll get culture vulture grifters like Grummz drumming up sentiment that basically translates into anti-PlayStation stuff too (#FreeStellarBlade nontroversy).

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Problem is discovery, we see time and time again that people don't look for games outside Steam unless you are already big and there's very few of them. Genshin, Fortnite, League, Tarkov (that game is however going downhill quickly now).

Steam is extremely helpful with word of mouth and getting games go viral.

You do realize the vast majority of games on Steam gain little to no traction, right? The "viral sensations" you're talking about are the 1% of games released on the platform (maybe even less than that).

If noone bought Playstation games on PC, why is the PC ports ROI so high? Why does Sony continue to release games in a place noone buys them on?

You need some logic in your life.

ROI costs are relative; making 200% back on $10 million is only $20 million and that absolutely pales in comparison to the profits & revenue their games generate on their own consoles. Also the example I just gave is not a realistic one, that was just to show how even with a god-tier ROI on the PC ports, absolute returns are rather marginal.

Actual ROI would be less than whatever the costs for the ports are, given things like Valve's cut from sales, etc. And if you haven't noticed, sales of many recent SIE ports to PC sans Helldivers 2 have been mediocre. We also can't rule out the fact that part of the PC development costs are actually baked into the main development costs of the games before they launch on console, and wouldn't be reflected in numbers gleamed from the Insomniac hack/leak.

Reactions: panda-zebra

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony should cancel pc ports all together.

I dont like nintendo but i respect their stance about pc.

Pc beggars re worst of the industry. Should be castrated each and every.

Ponies, nintedodrones, bots....pales in comparision.

Sony corp is looking for the "beggars" money because they can't grow their console userbase and have fleeced existing users enough already.

It's either that or a sweet adjustment to the use your own internet privilege fee, also known as ps plus.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Banana and Etifilio

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
and btw the only reason these countries don't have PSN accounts is not because Sony is lazy, is simply because they don't distribute PlayStation consoles on these countries, so people who game on PlayStation in these countries import their consoles with import retailers,
Wrong, at least in my case. I live in a country not listed on the PSN account creation, but Sony officially distributes and sells their products here.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023
24 Jun 2022
Sony corp is looking for the "beggars" money because they can't grow their console userbase and have fleeced existing users enough already.

It's either that or a sweet adjustment to the use your own internet privilege fee, also known as ps plus.

Or maybe, SIE/Sony Corp tried pivoting to PC for growth as a quick band-aid for growth after misreading the market growth during the pandemic, instead of getting innovative about their value proposition for their own console?

And now they're finding out the PC gaming market isn't as lucrative as they may've read it to be, and they can substantially grow their profits and revenue with console by innovating again with comprehensive value proposition.

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Or maybe, SIE/Sony Corp tried pivoting to PC for growth as a quick band-aid for growth after misreading the market growth during the pandemic, instead of getting innovative about their value proposition for their own console?

And now they're finding out the PC gaming market isn't as lucrative as they may've read it to be, and they can substantially grow their profits and revenue with console by innovating again with comprehensive value proposition.
Well Done Ok GIF by funk

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Hmmm, that feels more like wishful thinking TBH. Thankfully we have no icon era people on Sony's C suite.

Imagine going to the shareholders telling them that they will backpedal on the PC expansion after spending billions in buying best in class GaaS studio and PC porting studio. All be cause they can't be bothered to create PSN functionalities in many regions.

Those execs heads would be on a pike.

Clearly these are growing pains for Sony. Life is tougher outside of the walled garden and they will have to learn how to operate with new audiences. Specially since GaaS was going to be their main focus. Better to have it fixed and properly communicated before Destiny 3, Concord, Marathon, Fairgame$ are released. Chop chop.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Etifilio

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
Sony should cancel pc ports all together.

I dont like nintendo but i respect their stance about pc.

Pc beggars re worst of the industry. Should be castrated each and every.

Ponies, nintedodrones, bots....pales in comparision.

As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. PC gamers are loud and whiney but look where that got them. They get exclusives from both Sony and Microsoft without having to pay online fees and without even having to buy the console. Playstation fans being more chill may be sending Sony the wrong message and they are taking us for granted.