I legitimately feel bad for Xbox only owners

Rivet

25 Jun 2022
As someone who's always played on both PC and console and essentially dropped consoles during the PS4/XO gen... these consoles appeal less to me than ever before, because they're essentially just mid ranged PCs that are far less capable overall.

Consoles used to be unique machines with proprietary hardware that was completely different to the PC. They also had meaningful differences even between consoles of the same generation. Different consoles excelled in different areas with hardware that provided strengths that no other device likely had.. and they were really shaping the direction the industry could go with new ways of solving different problems that their own developers were facing. The developers pushed in the direction they saw fit, and it always provided new and interesting things.

Now... they're basic ass PCs using the exact same chip architectures as PC... Being more optimized for end-to-end dataflow is the only real difference.. These days it's even the same damn architecture between different consoles in the same generation. Developers used to create specific versions of the "same" game for different consoles of the same generation by actually utilizing the strengths and features of the platform which were unique. Now they all support the same shit and the only differences you see are some slightly lower resolutions and/or framerates, or minor graphical differences.

Not to mention that, but the more PC-like they've become the less console-like they truly are. It permeates through everything too, not just the hardware. You have to "install" games now.. You have to "patch" games.. You have firmware and OS updates to add features... you have to "log in"... you have storage space to manage... ect.. There's a focus on backwards compatibility which ultimately will inherently hamstring future consoles to specific hardware paradigms.. lest you give it up and lose it all. Once you get the games ready to play, load then up, you're presented with a bunch of choices now that you didn't even have to think about before. Performance mode... fidelity/cinematic mode... 120hz mode... RT mode... graphics options for motion blur, film grain, FOV....

At this point, all the stuff that was great about consoles is vanishing and they're just gaming focused middling PCs which get some special care and attention... There's so much overlap now it's just a waste to purchase every console.. Not enough differentiates them, and even less so to me personally now since both Xbox and PS exclusives hit PC. I much prefer PC where I already have a massive library of games, the best backwards and forwards compatibility spanning generations, customizability and flexibility, and option to scale above consoles.

Yes it's so much better buying a $3000 PC instead of a $500 console to play the same games just 2 years after and with stuttering everywhere added. Without haptics. Plus with all the PC hassles for free.

For me, it's the exact opposite as what you said. My PC is collecting dust as a gaming machine outside of some strategy games. It has zero point these days. You generally get inferior and late ports and you paid 5 times the cash due to Nvidia getting crazy. No thanks. That must be why GPU sales numbers are dropping like stones these days. I won't upgrade anytime soon.

PC has lost any advantage it used to have now that games basically run at 60 FPS or more on consoles too (also with VRR)... Unless you really love mods and feel it's worth tons of money + waiting for bad console ports for years.

On consoles, you just start the game and it works. Everything is perfectly optimized for your platform. Day one for every exclusive, not 2 years after. And with zero stuttering and tinkering with settings.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Yes it's so much better buying a $3000 PC instead of a $500 console to play the same games just 2 years after and with stuttering everywhere added. Without haptics. Plus with all the PC hassles for free.

For me, it's the exact opposite as what you said. My PC is collecting dust as a gaming machine outside of some strategy games. It has zero point these days. You generally get inferior and late ports and you paid 5 times the cash due to Nvidia getting crazy. No thanks. That must be why GPU sales numbers are dropping like stones these days. I won't upgrade anytime soon.

PC has lost any advantage it used to have now that games basically run at 60 FPS or more on consoles too (also with VRR)... Unless you really love mods and feel it's worth tons of money + waiting for bad console ports for years.

On consoles, you just start the game and it works. Everything is perfectly optimized for your platform. Day one for every exclusive, not 2 years after. And with zero stuttering and tinkering with settings.
I think so.. and so do many others. But cmon.. nobody is buying PCs for PS5 exclusive games, get that out of your head. The threads here posting about terrible PS5 game sales on PC are proof of that... it's such a weak ass argument.

LOL "basically runs at 60fps"... no they don't.. Cross gen games barely run at 60fps. You haven't even seen current gen games yet.. to which DF is even telling you just expect 30fps when they finally arrive so you're not disappointed.

Consoles have their own issues with shitty performance... and also have games which have plenty of stuttering. There's more tinkering to console games than ever before.. which was part of my point. Cheap half-assed PCs is essentially what they are.

All Playstation has is exclusive games going for it... and you just have to get over the fact that not everyone holds PS exclusives to the same regard as you do. That shit ain't worth buying a PS5 to collect dust 95% of the time for. Console fanboys know that if PS games were on PC day 1... there'd be little reason to own a console... they say it every time when laughing at Xbox and them not having any exclusives. Times are changing.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think so.. and so do many others. But cmon.. nobody is buying PCs for PS5 exclusive games, get that out of your head. The threads here posting about terrible PS5 game sales on PC are proof of that... it's such a weak ass argument.

LOL "basically runs at 60fps"... no they don't.. Cross gen games barely run at 60fps. You haven't even seen current gen games yet.. to which DF is even telling you just expect 30fps when they finally arrive so you're not disappointed.

Consoles have their own issues with shitty performance... and also have games which have plenty of stuttering. There's more tinkering to console games than ever before.. which was part of my point. Cheap half-assed PCs is essentially what they are.

All Playstation has is exclusive games going for it... and you just have to get over the fact that not everyone holds PS exclusives to the same regard as you do. That shit ain't worth buying a PS5 to collect dust 95% of the time for. Console fanboys know that if PS games were on PC day 1... there'd be little reason to own a console... they say it every time when laughing at Xbox and them not having any exclusives. Times are changing.
PS5 and Xbox run multiplatform Unreal Engine games better than PC. Ask Digital Foundary.
I actually don't see the need for PCs this generation, knowing that consoles are pushing 1440P 60 fps in most games.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
My PlayStation 5 is pretty damn quiet as is the Series X. The only time either make any noise is when im installing a game disc since the disc is obviously spinning but otherwise, both are extremely quiet.
I have the none disk version you noob, totally silent here, wait NVM.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
PS5 and Xbox run multiplatform Unreal Engine games better than PC. Ask Digital Foundary.
I actually don't see the need for PCs this generation, knowing that consoles are pushing 1440P 60 fps in most games.
No they don't... not when developers simply use the functionality provided within the engine to pre-compile the shaders. Many of the games that had issues have been patched and fixed and now pre-compile.

But that's good for you that you don't see the need for PC.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There is definitely an angle to it, drowning out a new IP with a massive release and marketing push. One or two weeks after it is probably the classy way to do it without inviting all the media shills to go into a crusade to help out Starfield.

I also feel like it would be a missed opportunity for Sony not to go hard on the BG3 marketing since it won't even be releasing on Xbox and will release just one month before Starfield.

Id say go for the throat. Its gonna be Xbox’s biggest exclusive till Elder Scrolls/Fallout come out. Just smash them with Spiderman 2.

Rivet

25 Jun 2022

Splits on RE were like 70% PlayStation and 15% pc so more people seem to agree with me. Gpu sales are down badly too, around 40 % if I remember correctly. So times are only changing in your head. Or if they're changing, people are just abandoning Pc.

Games don't stutter on consoles and do stutter on PC due to shader compilation, that's a fact. And yes, they mostly run at 60 fps on consoles (and even when it doesn't reach 60 it doesn't really matter due to VRR), some games even have up to 120 fps modes with unlocked framerate and VRR.

As for Sony 1st party, they're among the best games, both in gameplay and technically. Unless you think a game like Redfall is somehow a benchmark in gaming. Awards, critics and sales seem to all agree Sony often has the best games, so it's definitely a problem playing bad ports of them and waiting for years to get them.

Most 3rd party games suck these days. EA or Ubi haven't made anything valuable for years. But yeah, you can still play Fifa with online PC cheaters (another nice feature of the PC Stutter Race) on your PC.

Last edited:

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023

Half assed pc? No they re not. I have used mid upper range pcs from 1995 to cc 2016 or so (along with consoles, total war, quake, warhamner, football manager, warcraft 3, dota back in the day, company of heroes, cod 1, 2 lan parties, online., infamous crysis..u name it). Amount of crap u get on pc cant be compared to consoles. Never. U can put every single game on pc and people will still buy consoles.

I have ps5 since launch. I have played, tried 90% of 1p and 3p games that came out in taht period(cant comment on indies cause i dont play them) to a point i have not that much to play.
I havent experienced 1 single crash. One. I dont remember any fps problems. Mqjority of games offer option to choose, performance or visual. Ghostwire might be first game where i noticed fps s not stable. Are there games where fps isnt locked 60 and ranges from 50 tp 60? Sure. Nothin s perfect. Over next few year games ll have to saxrifice somwthing and its normal. As long i dont have crashes, errors, im fine with smaller resolution than 4k. Just give me 60 fps option. Optimization s much better on consoles.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Half assed pc? No they re not. I have used mid upper range pcs from 1995 to cc 2016 or so (along with consoles, total war, quake, warhamner, football manager, warcraft 3, dota back in the day, company of heroes, cod 1, 2 lan parties, online., infamous crysis..u name it). Amount of crap u get on pc cant be compared to consoles. Never. U can put every single game on pc and people will still buy consoles.

I have ps5 since launch. I have played, tried 90% of 1p and 3p games that came out in taht period(cant comment on indies cause i dont play them) to a point i have not that much to play.
I havent experienced 1 single crash. One. I dont remember any fps problems. Mqjority of games offer option to choose, performance or visual. Ghostwire might be first game where i noticed fps s not stable. Are there games where fps isnt locked 60 and ranges from 50 tp 60? Sure. Nothin s perfect. Over next few year games ll have to saxrifice somwthing and its normal. As long i dont have crashes, errors, im fine with smaller resolution than 4k. Just give me 60 fps option. Optimization s much better on consoles.
Yeah they are.

Sure PCs can come with issues... but a lot of the issues are over exaggerated. If you read the Steam forums sometimes you wonder how these people figured out how to turn their PCs on in the first place. Of course there's tons of people out there who love the simplicity and cheapness of consoles.. Nothing wrong with that. There's also tons of people who love the complexity, customizability, openness, and upgradability of PCs, and are willing to deal with issues from time to time to facilitate it all. There's quite a few people who complain about console performance issues... and PS5 and Series X are no different. The gen has barely started, and when games actually start pushing the hardware you're going to see more 30fps games and games which dip even under that.

I'm glad you love your console... but let's not act like there's not people who love their PCs as well. PC definitely has had issues with some games as of late, due to shader compilation.. but many of those games, particularly UE4 games.. have been patched to pre-compile the PSOs upfront, and no longer have that issue. The industry wasn't quite ready to adopt DX12, requiring them to manage PSOs and memory themselves.. and it showed. However, the industry is already moving to address this issue and make it easier for developers... There's been such a fuss about it recently that they had no choice but to take action

But like I said, we all prioritize different things. Some people like simplicity of "turn on, play", and others like flexibility to do what they want. Both are perfectly valid and have their place.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

Holy dumb exaggeratory post Batman.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

All PlayStation has is everything going it's way right now. No matter how much you cry about it, PlayStation is doing better than ever. PS5 / DualSense / PSVR2 / PS+ / PlayStation Studios games, all great products.

All the powerful hardware that was supposed to destroy the $500 PS5 ain't doing shit, PC has been all about bad ports and stutter this gen regardless of how much you spend and lets not even get started on Xbox.

Sony can't control what third-party studios do with their own games, all major games Sony released on PS5 so far have performed great and Horizon Forbidden West looks better than any other game I have ever seen on any platform and it's a crossgen game.

Cope more and keep begging for ports for you to pirate. The only reason you don't hate Nintendo as much as Sony is because you can emulate their games so you don't get as envious, you are not fooling anybody with this PC master race nonsense.

Go play path traced Cyberpunk (awful game btw) on you RTX 4090 with interpolated frames to make it playable. You seem way to threatened by PlayStation, almost like you are mad at it being this good. Funny that the same guy that buys and RTX 4090 and a 7800X3D has such a hard time paying $500 for an awesome console that is going to last 8+ years.

Last edited:

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Holy dumb exaggeratory post Batman.
"bubu they're buying PCs for PS exclusives"... that's what you idiots literally tell yourselves. LMFAO On Dumband
elrisitas.png

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
All PlayStation has is everything going it's way right now. No matter how much you cry about it, PlayStation is doing better than ever. PS5 / DualSense / PSVR2 / PS+ / PlayStation Studios games, all great products.

All the powerful hardware that was supposed to destroy the $500 PS5 ain't doing shit, PC has been all about bad ports and stutter this gen regardless of how much you spend and lets not even get started on Xbox.

Sony can't control what third-party studios do with their own games, all major games Sony released on PS5 so far have performed great and Horizon Forbidden West looks better than any other game I have ever seen on any platform and it's a crossgen game.

Cope more and keep begging for ports for you to pirate. The only reason you don't hate Nintendo as much as Sony is because you can emulate their games so you don't get as envious, you are not fooling anybody with this PC master race nonsense.

Go play path traced Cyberpunk (awful game btw) on you RTX 4090 with interpolated frames to make it playable. You seem way to threatened by PlayStation, almost like you are mad at it being this good. Funny that the same guy that buys and RTX 4090 and a 7800X3D has such a hard time paying $500 for an awesome console that is going to last 8+ years.
lmfao... sure... I'm the one that sounds threatened :LOL:

You're literally throwing a fit over me because I'm not, and wont ever, but a shitty PS5. PS5 is a POS... In 8 years when Sony comes out with a frame generation you'll be saying how amazing it is... just like you idiots did with RT
elrisitas.png

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
lmfao... sure... I'm the one that sounds threatened :LOL:

You're literally throwing a fit over me because I'm not, and wont ever, but a shitty PS5. PS5 is a POS... In 8 years when Sony comes out with a frame generation you'll be saying how amazing it is... just like you idiots did with RT
elrisitas.png
Yes, you are the one that sounds threatened. I play on both PS and PC because I realize they have different strengths as platforms while you are there mad because PlayStation is thriving.

I don't care about RT nor frame generation. I only care about games and that is not what is going to make or break a game for me. Cyberpunk is a good example no amount of path tracing or frame generation will make that game less shit to me because I it had miserable game design.

You need to relax, go play some Bloodborne, GT7, Demon's Souls, God of War Ragnarok, Horizon FW or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Most games run at a locked 60fps, Cross gen or not. Stop lying.