Is "ugly" the new trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDMIX

lol I don't know what to tell you man, having an opinion a trend?

What you think is ugly compared to anyone else will always be subjective, thus...how can this be a trend? You could always have an opinion of how you thought something looked and anyone could always disagreed with you.

For example, I think both models in the remake look amazing. I like how Leon looks, I love how Tess looks....thats like me making a thread saying "is pretty the new trend?"
He looks good, but you can't deny he got "uglinized" 😏

..ok but, you can...if someone believes he looks good and you yourself are saying "he looks good, bu" it just doesn't make any sense.
What is being denied? You doubt someone thinks he looks good to say "can't deny" only to then say "he looks good" yourself?

Wow, yet we are suppose to believe a secret agenda to "uglinize" folks, by a person who admittedly is saying the model looks "good"? So you can believe he looks good, but anyone else saying this um "can't deny he got uglinized?"

So I don't get this thing with the gaming community with trying to reach to make anything sound like a trend based on their opinion.
You have an opinion on his looks today, you could have that on any game yesterday or 10 years ago...that isn't a "trend"

Reactions: Swift_Star

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
e35786ba28ab6d3645c3e36c40fda7e18ba32785.gifv

Please save us Korean Vaporware!!!!!!
Either this or everyone can look like former meth addicts.

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
Removed a bunch of comments. Please stay on topic and respectful of others, else this thread will be closed.

Thanks

Reactions: EDMIX

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
people just can’t deal with video games characters looking like actual people and not anime/action figures
I actually like both in context... And I generally don't like people who advocate strongly for one over the other.

I find it hard to argue for overt "beauty" in the context of TLoU. I mean, has anyone ever complained that Uma Thurman wasn't sexy enough in the overdose scene?
bG8xXzUwMC5naWY.gif

Obviously, someone could do sexy TLoU, but I doubt that the impact would be the same.

OP
OP
Oogabooga

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
people just can’t deal with video games characters looking like actual people and not anime/action figures
👁👄👁 Realism is the worst trend in gaming in the past 13 years. It's all because of the last of us and red dead now, everyone wants to play real life simulators.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
👁👄👁 Realism is the worst trend in gaming in the past 13 years. It's all because of the last of us and red dead now, everyone wants to play real life simulators.

It depends on the game, the last of us wouldn’t look right with WAIFUs… I also think the range of art styles the west brought lend to a wider array of story telling

I remember a story coming out with the director of Yakuza i think? That said it was refreshing to play Tsushima with a older, not so pretty male lead. Saying that if it were a japanese title Jin would have never been used for the lead role. Japanese gear their audience towards younger more baby faced characters.

Edit here’s the story:

The protagonist [Jin] isn’t a particularly handsome lead, don’t you think? At your typical [Japanese] company, if you showed concept art for a character like him, I don’t think it would be approved.”

In other words I like final Fantay but i don’t want all my video game characters to look like final fantasy characters.

• they're_right_you_know
  • Informative
Reactions: EDMIX and Oogabooga

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I actually like both in context... And I generally don't like people who advocate strongly for one over the other.

I find it hard to argue for overt "beauty" in the context of TLoU. I mean, has anyone ever complained that Uma Thurman wasn't sexy enough in the overdose scene?
bG8xXzUwMC5naWY.gif

Obviously, someone could do sexy TLoU, but I doubt that the impact would be the same.
I think most people are fine with what characters look nowadays, regardless if they're realistic, or not, if they have purple hair, if it's a woman with muscles and a more "masculine" vibe or attitude, or if it's a guy that's more androgynous.
The people that complain are a very, very irrelevant vocal minority that don't even consume these things, they just like to make fake outrage.
The most cool thing about today's media is that there are actually a great variety of characters based on people from lots of cultures around the world.
No more of that american and eurocentrism. This is overdone and boring.
Yes, you can have those but there is space for everyone else. Why limit yourself and your creativity?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
is this the perfect place to ask? Do people consider RE4 Leon emo? In the trial edition of the game it looks like he was originally wearing eyeliner

• haha
Status
Not open for further replies.