Jason Schreier/Bloomberg: PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is stepping down

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I'm just glad he's out, he's always rubbed me the wrong way and I can tell he isn't a gamer just an asshat exec.
Wow so eloquent 🙄 ppl just like talking sht about a man who’s devoted 30yrs of his life to the ps brand. Through the dark days of the ps3 era the best preforming region of PlayStation was Europe under Jim Ryan. Ps is currently preforming the best it’s ever done with console sales reaching ps2 levels under Jim Ryan. The man knows how to run a business. Idc what anyone says he’s one of the greatest leaders ps has ever had. This obsession with if he’s is nonsense. Phil’s a gamer look how much he’s fcked up the Xbox brand. Plenty of gamers don’t know sht about running a business. Idc if Jim was a gamer I don’t care if he smoked crack and meth while pissing naked ofc the roof of ps headquarters. The man delivered.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well deserved retirement after 30 years of delivering great stuff.

When he was in Europe, that region became the main market of the brand and leaded a revolution for console gaming, skyrocketing the global installbase market during PS1 and PS2. They built a fanbase so loyal that here in my country even the 599 launch PS3 and Vita sold well.

Then he moved to SIE global leadership team where they made a comeback and finally as CEO the division is achieving the best numbers ever in a lot of areas and is on track to break many records more, while also expanding in different areas like PC, mobile, movies, tv shows and so on.

The big question now is who is going to be the successor? I don't know if they have anyone so has been working there for decades to know the company and the product that well, while also being that megasuccessful at his job running a business.

This is the guy that's pushing to 1billion users.
As I remember he wasn't talking for gaming, but to all their products/services from all their divisions.

Wonder if having a Japanese person as the CEO of PlayStation (and the whole company) is to either strengthen ties with Japanese partners or help with a Japanese acquisition?
There's a team in charge of relationships with 3rd parties, whose boss is Japanese. Inside that SIE team there's another team in charge of relationships with indies, whose boss is also Japanese.

Totoki will be CEO only temporally, only during a few months while they make the transition to the new CEO. Pretty likely will simply continue the same strategy they had until now and everybody at SIE will continue doing whatever they were already doing.

And pretty likely the next CEO will also continue with the same strategy for a while because it's super successful, most likely won't make important changes over what they already were working on, just some day to day tweaks.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Inappropriate behavior
Well deserved retirement after 30 years of delivering great stuff.

When he was in Europe, that region became the main market of the brand and leaded a revolution for console gaming, skyrocketing the global installbase market during PS1 and PS2. They built a fanbase so loyal that here in my country even the 599 launch PS3 and Vita sold well.

Then he moved to SIE global leadership team where they made a comeback and finally as CEO the division is achieving the best numbers ever in a lot of areas and is on track to break many records more, while also expanding in different areas like PC, mobile, movies, tv shows and so on.

The big question now is who is going to be the successor? I don't know if they have anyone so has been working there for decades to know the company and the product that well, while also being that megasuccessful at his job running a business.

As I remember he wasn't talking for gaming, but to all their products/services from all their divisions.
Are you you Portugese, or Spanish?

Sounds like Jose's filthy cocksucking.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Shawn didn't get this treatment.
Shawn never was CEO of SIE. He was CEO of the SIE America subsidiary during 4 years (being less successful than the PS EU team even if USA is a bigger market), and after that he was the head of PS Studios before Hermen Hulst got promoted.

Are you you Portugese, or Spanish?

Sounds like Jose's filthy cocksucking.
Spanish. And you better stop insulting.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Shawn didn't get this treatment.

Now is time to be concerned. it seems Jim hates America.
Shawn was unceremoniously let go and immediately replaced by Jim Ryan. Ryan still has 6 months, put out a statement with pr coinciding with the ceo taking over when he leaves, and an official post on the PS Twitter. It’s a real retirement.
Unless I missed the joke somewhere.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Shawn was unceremoniously let go and immediately replaced by Jim Ryan. Ryan still has 6 months, put out a statement with pr coinciding with the ceo taking over when he leaves, and an official post on the PS Twitter. It’s a real retirement.
Unless I missed the joke somewhere.
the Joke  is that the rumor was Shawn left because some power struggles inside Play Station

the shawn said:

then as you said:
Shawn was unceremoniously let go and immediately replaced by Jim Ryan

that to me is sus AF. Jim Ryan is leaving in his own terms. The Play Station strategy shouldn't change. Jim is going to find and mentor his successor.

Jim leaving is not a big deal at all.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The only thing I will remember about Jim Ryan's legacy is his failed PC ports initiative, horrible low quality tv and film spinoffs of Playstation IP, and his inability to stop big partners like Zenimax and Acti from being swept from under him.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
his inability to stop big partners like Zenimax and Acti from being swept from under him.
I understand this happened while he was there but there is nothing, literally nothing at all he could do to stop this.

Zenimax was a private company and the CEO was dying...the other is Bobby Kotick 😬

Reactions: Nimrota

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
@Yurinka
Black Panther Avengers GIF

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I understand this happened while he was there but there is nothing, literally nothing at all he could do to stop this.

Zenimax was a private company and the CEO was dying...the other is Bobby Kotick 😬
He looks extra foolish letting it happen while he’s actively signing timed exclusives agreements with said partner. You either care about them enough to acquire them or don’t sign timed exclusive agreements. Unless you want to get into a scenario where your timed exclusive partner and marketing agreement partner in Activision both jump ship.

Sony could’ve made strategic investments in these companies in order to fend off these attempts.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
the Joke  is that the rumor was Shawn left because some power struggles inside Play Station

the shawn said:

then as you said:

that to me is sus AF. Jim Ryan is leaving in his own terms. The Play Station strategy shouldn't change. Jim is going to find and mentor his successor.

Jim leaving is not a big deal at all.

Yeah I agree. Jim did his job well and I wish him the best but ps will be fine. PS is built to “endure and survive” no matter who’s at the top. It’s not a piece of garbage like Xbox tittering on the brink of falling apart every time Phil starts crying like a lil. btch. Pc, gaas, even ps portal were all in the works before jim and will continue after the “empire will live on”.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jimbo : pc is our competitor

Also jimbo : keep porting games to PC
I'm still waiting for a proper source link of Jim saying that 'pc is our competitor source', because as of now there's only a single image on this forum and not anywhere outside this forum.

And was posted by a Jimbo hater, so probably is fake and he never said that.

And yes, there's nothing wrong with the PC ports, they have low risk due to low cost and provide hundreds of millions of profit, which are needed to help funding AAA games (which each generation are more and more expensive) and acquisitoins.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
I'm still waiting for a proper source link of Jim saying that 'pc is our competitor source', because as of now there's only a single image on this forum and not anywhere outside this forum.

And was posted by a Jimbo hater, so probably is fake.
Its not fake search it up you lazy fecker

• Surprised
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
He looks extra foolish letting it happen while he’s actively signing timed exclusives agreements with said partner. You either care about them enough to acquire them or don’t sign timed exclusive agreements. Unless you want to get into a scenario where your timed exclusive partner and marketing agreement partner in Activision both jump ship.

Sony could’ve made strategic investments in these companies in order to fend off these attempts.
These deals were made long before Zenimax and Microsoft decided to merge though in his defense. And Zenimax will be a hollowed out shadow in a few years

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters