Jason Schreier/Bloomberg: PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is stepping down

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
(September 28, 2023, Tokyo / September 27, San Mateo, CA) – Sony Group Corporation and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that SIE President and CEO Jim Ryan has made the decision to retire in March 2024 after almost thirty years with the PlayStation business. To support Mr. Ryan in his transition, Sony Group Corporation President, COO and CFO Hiroki Totoki will assume the role of Chairman of SIE effective October 2023. Effective April 1, 2024, Mr. Totoki will be appointed Interim CEO of SIE while he continues his current role at Sony Group Corporation. Mr. Totoki will work closely with Sony Group Corporation Chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida and the management team of SIE to help define the next chapter of PlayStation’s future, including the succession of the SIE CEO role.

Japan Playstation took their throne back

Jimbo PC ports can kiss my ass

Now lets get FF7R locked as PS5 exclusive and bring more first party game

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Its not fake search it up you lazy fecker
I did search it and didn't a single source outside this forum. This is the third time I ask for a source in different threads and nobody was able to provide a like to the supposed source, so I can only assume it's because such source doesn't exist and it's a fake.

Instead of a link to the source to see if it's real and -if case it would be real- to see the context of the converation, I only get insults from people who can't properly debate or even behave like a decent human being.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
I did search it and didn't a single source outside this forum. This is the third time I ask for a source in different threads and nobody was able to provide a like to the supposed source, so I can only assume it's because such source doesn't exist and it's a fake.

I only get insults from people who can't behave or debate.

Whatever it is the guy who wants to bring more trash live service game over traditional games are over

Jimboshit are done and dusted

Best news of the day

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
(September 28, 2023, Tokyo / September 27, San Mateo, CA) – Sony Group Corporation and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that SIE President and CEO Jim Ryan has made the decision to retire in March 2024 after almost thirty years with the PlayStation business. To support Mr. Ryan in his transition, Sony Group Corporation President, COO and CFO Hiroki Totoki will assume the role of Chairman of SIE effective October 2023. Effective April 1, 2024, Mr. Totoki will be appointed Interim CEO of SIE while he continues his current role at Sony Group Corporation. Mr. Totoki will work closely with Sony Group Corporation Chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida and the management team of SIE to help define the next chapter of PlayStation’s future, including the succession of the SIE CEO role.

Japan Playstation took their throne back

Jimbo PC ports can kiss my ass

Now lets get FF7R locked as PS5 exclusive and bring more first party game
Interim position means he's not going to be in that role for very long. It's likely the only real decision he will make is who will actually be the next full-time CEO.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
PC ports, they have low risk due to low cost and provide hundreds a few millions of profit
Edited for accuracy 😁

...and even then I'm not sure they have much left after paying the studios, marketing and other fees. You're lucky if they are able to make 1 VR game with the total sales of all the ports together lol

Honestly I think they are just paying for other PC ports with that money. You're not getting a new AAA.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It is not true. Jimbo has been with SME/SCE/SIE for 31 years, and 1991 to be exact. He also has a master degree. So the dude must be at least in his 60s.
Jim Ryan is officially 63. Call Google and Wikipedia to correct it 😄

You get off at the Central Station and you know you’re home. People are just nicer, they talk to you and they’re interested and they’re not looking to score something. At 63 years I still consider it home and that’s not going to change, it’s great up there and I owe the region a lot.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Whatever it is the guy who wants to bring more trash live service game over traditional games are over

Jimboshit are done and dusted

Best news of the day
There's no Jim Ryan quote source there saying that PC is their competitor. The opposite, there's a linked presentation where they explain they made a lot of money with PC titles and became a top 20 publisher in PC.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Wow so eloquent 🙄 ppl just like talking sht about a man who’s devoted 30yrs of his life to the ps brand. Through the dark days of the ps3 era the best preforming region of PlayStation was Europe under Jim Ryan. Ps is currently preforming the best it’s ever done with console sales reaching ps2 levels under Jim Ryan. The man knows how to run a business. Idc what anyone says he’s one of the greatest leaders ps has ever had. This obsession with if he’s is nonsense. Phil’s a gamer look how much he’s fcked up the Xbox brand. Plenty of gamers don’t know sht about running a business. Idc if Jim was a gamer I don’t care if he smoked crack and meth while pissing naked ofc the roof of ps headquarters. The man delivered.
Im glad you think it's so eloquent, good for you. Also happy you take it so personal and it's your life mission to put us all in our place about Jimbo since your on the Jim team. Again if anyone thinks Phil is a gamer because he puts a gaming shirt on every once in awhile, they fluff up his gamer score and spits out talking points they are oblivious and a 🤡

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Edited for accuracy 😁
Bullshit, they aren't a few. They are hundreds, and now even per year.

image.png

...and even then I'm not sure they have much left after paying the studios, marketing and other fees. You're lucky if they are able to make 1 VR game with the total sales of all the ports together lol

Honestly I think they are just paying for other PC ports with that money. You're not getting a new AAA.
PC ports only require a few guys working during some months and almost don't spend marketing on it. Ports may cost a few, maybe a handful millions and generate a ton of revenue, which is mostly profit.

Make sure that with the profits generated in FY20+21+22 (let's assume $300M+) they can fund the development of a big ass AAA title.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

image.png

PC ports only require a few guys working during some months and almost don't spend marketing on it. Ports may cost a few, maybe a handful millions and generate a ton of revenue, which is mostly profit.

Make sure that with the profits generated in FY20+21+22 (let's assume $300M+) they can fund the development of a big ass AAA title.
How many times we have to repeat that was with Destiny?

Keep Destiny only and you're making as much money without paying all these porting studios.

or

35+80+50 (without Destiny) = 165 millions

165 millions. That's all they made IN REVENUE for their BIGGEST franchises in 3 years.

Spider-man God Of War Horizon Uncharted TLOU and more. All 20+ millions sellers...for 165 millions total 😬

Absolutely pathetic.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Jim Ryan is officially 63. Call Google and Wikipedia to correct it 😄

He may be born in America, but he will always be British.

PS never really have an American CEO so.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023

image.png

They estimated 300M for FY22 and they missed it by 50 million. It's very likely they will miss their FY23 as well.
You are forgetting that Bungie likely accounted for more than 50 percent of FY22. Of that $250 million, how much of it is profit?

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Do you think Alan Wake and Spiderman *aren't* in competition this October? Wild mistake if so.
Moving goalpost? Thats not even the same comparison

Playstation studio should focus on PS and dont need to make game for PC

End of the line

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Let's see:

Unknow if sales targets will be met this year

PC ports devaluing the brand and selling like shit

Gran Turismo movie will not even break even

First party pipeline drier than the Sahara desert

Very good legacy he leaves. As usual with CEOs, fuck as much as you can for short term gains, then bail or be shown the door. I still don't buy the retirement news, this has "either you retire and we give you a proper send off, or we fire your ass" vibe.

Him being put under a chairman in SIE speaks volumes.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Moving goalpost? Thats not even the same comparison

Playstation studio should focus on PS and dont need to make game for PC

End of the line
Talk about moving goalposts. You started by saying Ryan is a liar using made up quotes. When asked for proof you said "Google it", insulted people, and then produced a totally irrelevant link.

I said publishers compete with Playstation and also publish on PlayStation. Obviously true. You've got nothing, and you continue to knowingly spread lies.

D

Deleted member 223

We still do need the source of Jim's comments on PC being a direct competitor. Nongkris needs to pull up and deliver.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Talk about moving goalposts. You started by saying Ryan is a liar using made up quotes. When asked for proof you said "Google it", insulted people, and then produced a totally irrelevant link.

I said publishers compete with Playstation and also publish on PlayStation. Obviously true. You've got nothing, and you continue to knowingly spread lies.
Whatever

This jim discussion is over

Jimbo is out of the office soon

Along with his garbage live service game and his useless pc ports

Have a nice day fool