March 2023 NPD, PS5 has outsold PS4 in the same time period (29 months), PS5 best-selling in both units and dollar sales, Switch #2, Xbox #3

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Ok so Sony is going to deplete all of Microsoft's reserves and sink their stock price then? Because Xbox will never be 'above' the PlayStation brand. It never has been in any territory since the dawn of time, or the year 2000.
I think that commenter just doesn't want them to stop until they are above Playstation and is projecting their desires onto Microsoft.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke
D

Deleted member 417

Is the OP banned already? 🔥

Edit - It is not open to replies anymore… Mods censored like expected from ERA.
sounds bad if theyre locking the thread. Might be some truth in what he's saying

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
What does Xbox even have going on for it?

The promise that maybe a few years from now you won't have to pay to play CoD you pay a monthly subscription? CoD already has a F2P mode in Warzone anyway and people that actually like CoD probably are ok with paying for it.

Bethesda and Activison catalog games on Gamepass? Like PlayStation Plus already has?

Redfall and Starfield? At 30FPS?

Gamepass being more expensive than PS+ Extra and having an inferior catalog? Live Gold being an embarrassment compared do PS+ Essencials?

The Series S being one of the most poorly thought-out consoles ever?

Their terrible store on PC?

xCloud that nobody cares about?

XBox Series of Ls
Better BC support than Sony.

Better support for portable game access:
- GP app on TVs
- co-signing different android and Windows-based game playing/streaming handhelds (Logitek G/ASUS Rog Ally)
- Surface brand for custom form factor devices.

MS could push those decided-against Surface Duo 2's with cheaper plastic bodies on them as "XB Surface" gaming handhelds, if they tidied-up the software integrations etc. Or if they aren't sticking with Duo1/2 design for Duo3, do a price slash on them and promote them, however long, as an answer to XB portability.

So yeah... BC & PORTABLE access to games. That's all Sony needs to offer properly, to lap absolutely everything MS could offer.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
PS5 is better than the PS4 in every single way and it benefit from it's momentum. The moment MS announced the Series S and showed up without a launch line up it was over.

Gamepass disciples and reward grinders can't see past their own cheapness. Nobody is sad that they have to pay $70 to play God of War/Spider-man/TLoU/Final Fantasy/Eden Ring/etc on release.
Eh... I'm gonna be a nit-picking cunt and say I deffinately perfered the PS4's dashboard layout, and console shape/size.

I don't think that's the sort of thing you meant, but I sorta wish PS5 was a PS4 Pro+ MAX, where it concerns those two things.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Eh... I'm gonna be a nit-picking cunt and say I deffinately perfered the PS4's dashboard layout, and console shape/size.

I don't think that's the sort of thing you meant, but I sorta wish PS5 was a PS4 Pro+ MAX, where it concerns those two things.
Both the original PS4 and PS4 Pro were damn ugly, just PS4 Slim looked good.

Things like dashboard UI don't matter much to me I think they are all pretty serviceable and my favorite is actually the PS3 one.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
To be fair, Series has been impacted by the chips shortages, while XBO didn't, so maybe we'll see a small comeback in recent/next few months.

Well, during years MS has been transitioning from console to PC (and mobile), from focusing on selling games to focus on game subs, and from being a platform holder that pubishes only on their own console to become a multiplatform 3rd party that publishes on all consoles.

I think that if they continue in that direction, the natural path will be to do sooner or later a Sega: to kill their console hardware, specially if they keep losing market share, something they try to hide/compensate with big acquisitions.
Chip shortage is over for 6+months already. Demand plummeted after crypto crash last year, nfts failing to take off. AMD is actually forcing customers to keep their wafer orders.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

- GP app on TVs
- co-signing different android and Windows-based game playing/streaming handhelds (Logitek G/ASUS Rog Ally)
- Surface brand for custom form factor devices.

MS could push those decided-against Surface Duo 2's with cheaper plastic bodies on them as "XB Surface" gaming handhelds, if they tidied-up the software integrations etc. Or if they aren't sticking with Duo1/2 design for Duo3, do a price slash on them and promote them, however long, as an answer to XB portability.

So yeah... BC & PORTABLE access to games. That's all Sony needs to offer properly, to lap absolutely everything MS could offer.
BC is no way or form better than sony's. what are you talking about. @KiryuRealty already spoke about it multiple times.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This true? How so? This was the only thing MS focused on late last gen
It’s because what MS has is NOT backward compatibility AT ALL.

When you put one of the “backward compatible” Xbox games in your system, it downloads a new version of the game with a recompiled binary. It’s literally an Xbox One version of the game, not the original Xbox or 360 game at all. That’s why only some games work, and why games from defunct publishers or made with expired licenses aren’t supported. It’s also why you have to be online the first time you play an old game.

Backward compatible means that your current equipment uses the older media. What MS gives you is something entirely different.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Ok so Sony is going to deplete all of Microsoft's reserves and sink their stock price then? Because Xbox will never be 'above' the PlayStation brand. It never has been in any territory since the dawn of time, or the year 2000.

I don't use this word often, but those warchest comments are so cringe. All of them, in all their iterations coming from people who are more invested in a brand/corporation than games. The attitude around it reminds me of things like Phil saying 'they weren't done yet' with acquisitions. That kind of smug, misplaced arrogance is one of the reasons XBox has consistently failed to achieve popularity on a world wide scale. The fact that there are people still cheering for them and their warchest (ie. money from the actually successful part of the company) just shows how out of touch they are and how little games matter to both MS and their supporters.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

When you put one of the “backward compatible” Xbox games in your system, it downloads a new version of the game with a recompiled binary. It’s literally an Xbox One version of the game, not the original Xbox or 360 game at all. That’s why only some games work, and why games from defunct publishers or made with expired licenses aren’t supported. It’s also why you have to be online the first time you play an old game.

Backward compatible means that your current equipment uses the older media. What MS gives you is something entirely different.
is that really true, very interesting point (y)

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

I have been saying this for years, yet people (we know who) kept just repeating the buzzwords without any understanding of what this would mean.

The PS5 has true backward compatibility with the PS4 by example.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Futurama GIF

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I think that we are seeing the end of the credibility bump they got with the 360, many people just believed Phil and his minion's lies because of the good times they had. Now people are exhausted, everyone is pissed and the end of their rope. Unless they are paid shills.

And MS has nothing concrete to offer, so the little bit of air left in the balloon will just go.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Technically yea… Xbox and 360 BC are not BC… they new binaries (compilation) for the new hardware (the hardware itself is emulated in some ways like only the CPU or GPU but not all and that is why requires new binaries).

You can thing more like a conversion instead emulation.

Xbox games are converted to run in a Hypervisor emulating just part of old hardware.

PS5 does 100% hardware PS4 emulation.

That is why MS can change resolution, framerate and some settings of the games… because they have to modify / convert the game to run… while PS5 has the exactly same game that runs on PS4.

Xbox solution is more like what Sony does if a PS4 game got patched to PS5.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
is that really true, very interesting point (y)
It is true.

The 360 had the closest thing to actual Backwards Compatibility, as it used customized virtual machines to run the games in, and the VMs were tweaked more or less per-engine, although some games got a per-game VM. The VMs just translated the system calls for the Direct X version on the first Xbox to the commands used in the version on the 360, which is why even games that were listed as working often had problems.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

I think it is increasingly likely that Microsoft will abandon the Xbox Hardware and go completely third party​

just read and enjoy
Just imagine all these people who got GP and never bought any games the day it all implodes? They will essentially have well engineered bricks, maybe they could fetch 20$ for them on the used market!

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
What MS is doing is not backwards compatibility, calling it that is a manipulative deception, no matter what you feel about their approach.
- GP app on TVs
Nobody wants that, otherwise Stadia and the original iteration of PSNow would have been run away successes.
I would love Sony to make a PS4 level portable machine somewhat like the desk, as well as them offering more PS1\2 (and 3) games on the PS5.... but I don't think either is a necessity for their ongoing success, especially access to the back catalog. If anything they may distract them from core projects.

All these things are sideshows, nice to have stuff.