Microsoft Blocking pre-orders for Persona 3/4 on Switch and PS4 in order to cook books for the xbox versions, purposefully gimped the PS5 version

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Ok, most interesting thing you've said and tbh I've heard it a million times before..........Yet that word "engagement" is something isn't it. PS4 and PS5 usually outsells XBOX games that are multiplatform everytime, most times by a huge margin/ratio, now that is guaranteed superior engagement because nobody typically buys a disc so it can sit there.....As opposed, how are we quantifying better engagement on gamepass for any title because it's available to subs? We would need stats to show that such and such game is getting lots of traction on GP, all persons who downloaded said game spent 5 hours or more on it. Engagement cannot be superficial, by that I mean, I downloaded it but never played, I added it to my download list, I launched it got in the menus and exited, all of these are recorded as someone engaging with a game on gamepass and the ticker goes +1, but is that really engagement? Also, Gamepass has many games available right, a new game hitting gamepass does not mean anyone is downloading or playing, there are many games to choose from so that in itself is an issue. You remember the time when you only had 1 channel or 2 on your TV, there was serious engagement there, till Cable came or Netflix came and what you choose to watch become so much harder. There will be dibbing and dabbing and not really watching anything really. Yet MS will never share gamepass stats, they will only say millions engaged, we really don't know the depth to that engagement and that can be very misleading.

As opposed, I know PS fans have bought millions of copies of Persona, so that's quantifiable engagement, no one can question that lots of PS fans played Persona.
Egagement is a useful metric only if you sell advertisement or something like that. If people buy your games (they expect them to be good\great) it doesn't matter much if they play 15 minutes or 200 hours, so long as they buy them again the next time around.

For something like GP I assume it tells them which games GP clients like and what they should emphasize on, and people who don't spend enough hours on it are at risk of cancelling.

But in the end engagement as a metric is a signal, not an end in and of itself, this is something you use to drive other opportunities, but people being "engaged" does not automatically bring revenue (there are plenty of people engaging on the torrent sites, yet nobody makes money from these movies).

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
5 pages over an absolutely nothing burger with no evidence barring an 'influencers' deleted tweet.

Never change.
the evidence is clearly there and the case has been proven in my favor. Microsoft is blocking pre-orders on both Switch and PS. Microsoft requires a 48-hour exclusive window to reveal any information on Persona 5, 4, and 3 re-releases. Microsoft is paying Atlus to deliver only on PS4, much like they payed for Yakuza: LAD's next gen update to have a 6 month delay on PS5.

These are facts.

Microsoft with very little marketshare in console and in JRPG space, has opted for a petty, pathetic, 'Mosquito-style' marketing. Small annoyances that itch like a mosquito bite is the tactic. When you scratch, you have no choice but to think 'xbox'.

It's sad and pathetic, but it's the route they've chosen.

Mr. He/Him Phil Spencer told me that when we all play we all win. Where does XBOX's BLOCKING RIGHTS fit into the equation?

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Have they got much hassle on social media for this? [Atlus] I haven't really looked.
I mean, it's just pre-orders, for ports of old handheld games. Not exactly a major inconvenience.

Someone from Atlus casually tweeted it's part of the marketing deal, but then deleted the tweet (because admitting to that would violate said deal, obviously).

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I mean, it's just pre-orders, for ports of old handheld games. Not exactly a major inconvenience.

Someone from Atlus casually tweeted it's part of the marketing deal, but then deleted the tweet (because admitting to that would violate said deal, obviously).

Ah I see, so they already let it slip...

Well, what an odd deal.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's truly bizarre but I think we will get the real story eventually.

Have they got much hassle on social media for this? [Atlus] I haven't really looked.

If Sony and the others have half decent lawyers, these deals will be scrutinised. Not because MS is not entitled to do them, but because they use the argument that these types of deals make Sony evil.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

Of course some people will deny that this was intentional. Just like the guy from Ubisoft who let it slip at the bar that they intentionally went for Parity on AC Unity on XBONE and PS4. Yet we had many people saying, that would never happen and it was all a conspiracy by PS fans, similar to how some folk are deflecting that Atlus or MS is doing anything untowards in this this preorder jumble......

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Because they need to compete and get Xbox back in the mindshare of gamers.

They're in a catch 22 situation where Xbox doesn't get these games because nobody buys these games on the console... but nobody buys these games on the console because it's never guaranteed that Xbox will get these games... So essentially they have to eat the cost of the lack of sales, and continually get these games on their platform so that people will become comfortable with buying these games on that same platform.
People ain’t buying Xbox for persona, bud, give up. That ship has sailed.

Reactions: Airbus

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I don't think MS are devious enough to block pre orders for the game on other consoles, especially since the games are coming to game pass anyway where they'll get the most engagement on Xbox. If it was them they wouldn't have 'blocked' it for Nintendo, only Sony. 😅

This is an Atlus issue through and through.
Lmao? They bought two major publishers but blocking pre-orders is crossing the line? 😂

• haha
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It’s false advertising. It’s designed to trick consumers into believing no PlayStation versions or Switch do not exist. People are dumb. It WILL work… sure it’s just persona on Xbox and insignificant but still…

There should be legal action. It’s a dirty move.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: SSfox

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
the evidence is clearly there and the case has been proven in my favor. Microsoft is blocking pre-orders on both Switch and PS. Microsoft requires a 48-hour exclusive window to reveal any information on Persona 5, 4, and 3 re-releases. Microsoft is paying Atlus to deliver only on PS4, much like they payed for Yakuza: LAD's next gen update to have a 6 month delay on PS5.

These are facts.

Microsoft with very little marketshare in console and in JRPG space, has opted for a petty, pathetic, 'Mosquito-style' marketing. Small annoyances that itch like a mosquito bite is the tactic. When you scratch, you have no choice but to think 'xbox'.

It's sad and pathetic, but it's the route they've chosen.

Mr. He/Him Phil Spencer told me that when we all play we all win. Where does XBOX's BLOCKING RIGHTS fit into the equation?
And don’t forget, Yakuza 7 PS5 and Phantasy Star Online 2’s North American release were also not allowed to be announced as coming to PlayStation until just before they were released, so as to create an illusion that they’d only ever be on XBox.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
And don’t forget, Yakuza 7 PS5 and Phantasy Star Online 2’s North American release were also not allowed to be announced as coming to PlayStation until just before they were released, so as to create an illusion that they’d only ever be on XBox.
XBOX is trying all types of ways to gain more traction, sales don't matter they say, but they want the public to somehow believe more people are preordering and buying Persona on XBOX over Playstation......Yet, the more MS tries, the dirtiest tactics they pull off always backfires, Always. I'm pretty sure they had a hand in the non-native versions on PS5 too, anything to prevent the 90:10 ratio that would exist in favor of PS...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bodycount611
OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

they're even forced to list Xbox first in the marketing material in Japan where it sells 50 units a week.

ANytime you see the gamepass and windows logos on marketing material, MS has paid the developer. straight up. No one is putting windows store ahead of nintendo switch in japan for no reason.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
XBOX is trying all types of ways to gain more traction, sales don't matter they say, but they want the public to somehow believe more people are preordering and buying Persona on XBOX over Playstation......Yet, the more MS tries, the dirtiest tactics they pull off always backfires, Always. I'm pretty sure they had a hand in the non-native versions on PS5 too, anything to prevent the 90:10 ratio that would exist in favor of PS...
The non-native PS versions are simply because SEGA/Atlus are broke and Sony wasn’t going to pay for the ports like desperate MS did.

The tools to repackage PSP and Vita games for PS4/5 take no time or effort to use, which makes the dearth of those games being repackaged seriously mystifying, to be honest.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
it also gives Xbox the edge in 6 months time when atlus goes to crunch the numbers. That's 7 months of Xbox sales vs 6 for other platforms.

They're handicapping the competition.

If Persona 6 is in any way compromised by Xbox there should be a serious investigation here beyond my sleuthing. All i did was put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Reactions: thelastword