Microsoft set to lay off thousands of employees tomorrow

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Honestly do we even know if these are coming from the gaming division? Layoffs during a recession are pretty par for the course. Hope everyone affected gets a new job quickly.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab
D

Deleted member 417

why can't they dip into the infinite war chest that they were going to use to go scorched earth on sony and buy up all japanese developers upcoming games?

richest company in the wo--

4917321-1585328667.jpg
wealthy bill gates GIF

"We didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques...hahaha, hahaha!, HAHAHAHAH"

Hopefully Spencer is one of the 10k

Reactions: Bryank75

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Honestly do we even know if these are coming from the gaming division? Layoffs during a recession are pretty par for the course. Hope everyone affected gets a new job quickly.
Exactly. Of course in absolute numbers it's a lot of people being in trouble, but one should also consider the fact that 210k employees are still keeping their job.

On the other hand I can also understand the critics of them pointing to the fact that at the same time they are trying to spend a huge amount of money which could have been used to save many of these 10k AND getting 10k new employees instead if they succeed.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
why can't they dip into the infinite war chest that they were going to use to go scorched earth on sony and buy up all japanese developers upcoming games?

richest company in the wo--

4917321-1585328667.jpg
Yeah Xfans are so devoid of basic logic, always using "My uncle Phil is rich" line, but most of MS's revenue is coming from Office and it's other divisions. MS just spent billions on publishers and devs that have taken their pay and jumped shipped and left the studios as shells. Failed upstarts like the Initiative, the fact that gamepass is definitely not profitable and is a verifiable money sink, just like the XBOX business has never been profitable and it still goes on......It's sad the mismanagement. All, the failed investments on the gaming side and the people who have probably worked hard at MS from day 1 or for years are going to face the long road home.......Those managers like Phil who's been wasting MS coffers for years gets promoted, but regular people gets the boot, this world we live in......

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

No, these are from their global workforce. They're not laying off 10k employees from the gaming division, despite what some of the moronic replies here will like you to think.

I don't think its even official as of this post, maybe just a rumor ? let's see. 10k people losing their jobs is a terrible thing regardless of circumstance.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No, these are from their global workforce. They're not laying off 10k employees from the gaming division, despite what some of the moronic replies here will like you to think.

I don't think its even official as of this post, maybe just a rumor ? let's see. 10k people losing their jobs is a terrible thing regardless of circumstance.

Nobody in this whole thread suggested that, unless I missed a comment.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Can you please quote the aforementioned moronic replies that are implying that absurd notion?

Thank you.

Sure.

Man that is awful, this probably has nothing to do with it but those people that left from playground games i think, is this maybe something to do with it?

All the shills angling for MS jobs throughout their "gaming journalism" career double thinking the foolishness of their ways? Cause after all, they'll be the first to be dropped on the first batch...

Nah who am I kidding... they'll get spooked for a week then get back to work on the "dream!"

Hell, I'd say most of the replies in the thread so far have been an embarrassing display.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sure.

Hell, I'd say most of the replies in the thread so far have been an embarrassing display.

None of those comments say these are layoffs from the gaming division. @Sircaw asked a question, he wasn't trying to suggest.

@KnittedKnight is literally alluding to third parties under MS' sphere of influence being foolish and that they are expendable.

This is not GAF, where you can say whatever you want, and then sneak your way around it.

24 Jun 2022
FWIW: in 2014 Microspft laid off 18.8% of their ~150k work force.

Oh boy....and we know what console came out right before that :/

Jokes aside, that's also when Satya Nadella took over as CEO IIRC, was a big shakeup to trim fat. The Xbox division WAS affected to some degree though, their budget got scaled back heavily. But that probably wasn't immediately implemented (IIRC I don't think it happened until around 2015 - 2016 or so).

I'm sure some of these layoffs are Xbox division-related, but most are probably related to areas like customer support (for regular customers, not business clients), and stuff like that. HR redundancies, maybe certain advertising groups etc. MS said they were interested in using AI for QA testing...maybe they're ready to do that and are removing what would be QA redundancies as a result?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Remember when xbox zealots and paid for bot farm astroturf accounts said microsoft would lay anyone at bethesda off? Looks like they are.
If the EU blocks the activision deal i think the xbox division is on the chopping block next. Embracer, tencent, ea, take 2, and activsion buy their studios piecemeal.

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Official:

What you need to know​

• Microsoft Chairman and CEO Satya Nadella confirmed that the company will cut 10,000 jobs by the end of FY23 Q3.
  • The move was speculated yesterday and has since been confirmed by Nadella in a message sent out to Microsoft employees and shared with the public.
  • The job cuts represent close to 5% of Microsoft's workforce.

Again, hopefully all effected are able to land on their feets.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

Poor damage control effort 4/10 you neeed to do better or will be the Next on the chopping Block

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417